How to make my Macrium license 'count' correct?

Author
SteveK
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Macrium advises checking backups to make sure they work properly but I cannot figure out how to do that for one computer's backup. As soon as I receive all the parts, I will build another computer using an ASRock A300 Deskmini (TeenyTiny).

I know I must delete Macrium Home from the old computer of a transition and I know how to complete the process. After testing an image backup by transitioning it to a new computer, will "Remove License" delete Macrium Home on the new computer and decrease the Macrium license 'count' by one? If not, what do I need to do to make my Macrium license 'count' correct after testing a backup by placing the image on a new computer which will only be used to test the backup?

Thank you, folks.
Steve K

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Yes, removing the license from the old PC's environment, whether you do it from the actual old PC (if it's running) or from an image of that PC that you restored or otherwise started elsewhere, should update your licensing info.  But if you have trouble, you can contact licensing at Macrium dot com for assistance, and if my experience is any indication, they'll get you sorted very quickly.  In terms of how to test a backup, since you mentioned in another thread that you're running Windows 10 Pro, you have Hyper-V and therefor would have access to Macrium viBoot, which would allow you to start an image backup as a virtual machine -- assuming of course that your system can run Hyper-V and that the backup in question includes all necessary partitions to boot Windows.

SteveK
SteveK
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 15 September 2020 8:48 PM
Yes, removing the license from the old PC's environment, whether you do it from the actual old PC (if it's running) or from an image of that PC that you restored or otherwise started elsewhere, should update your licensing info.  But if you have trouble, you can contact licensing at Macrium dot com for assistance, and if my experience is any indication, they'll get you sorted very quickly.  In terms of how to test a backup, since you mentioned in another thread that you're running Windows 10 Pro, you have Hyper-V and therefor would have access to Macrium viBoot, which would allow you to start an image backup as a virtual machine -- assuming of course that your system can run Hyper-V and that the backup in question includes all necessary partitions to boot Windows.

Thank you, jphughan; I greatly appreciate your quick response.
Most likely, I will just delete Macrium on the test computer. Beng as I am well past 'retirement age', I don't really want to learn how to use Win 10 Pro's Hyper-V.
Steve K

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Happy to help!  Fair enough on not wanting to learn Hyper-V.  But to Macrium's credit, their implementation that leverages it under the hood is quite simple and intuitive, so you never really have to dig into Hyper-V itself if you don't want to.  If nothing else, it can be a handy way to test your backups, or even do something from your old PC even after you only have a backup of it rather than the PC itself.  Often the ability to browse the contents of a backup is sufficient for such situations, but I've seen reports from users who needed to launch an actual application within their old PC's environment in order to do something, and viBoot makes that possible even if the PC no longer exists. Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search