Redeploy - Quite Impressive Result

Author
SteveK
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Well I'll be a raging river stopped in its tracks by a monstrous, concrete structure!!

Moving from an 8-year old, Intel-based, 21in X 21n X 10in, NOISY, 8-fan computer (Behemoth) to a new, AMD Ryzen-based, 9in X 9in X 3in, SILENT, single fan computer (Tiny) was such a huge change in hardware I was VERY concerned about this transition. I just did not want to lose some old, non-replaceable programs which I still use frequently. I was also resigned to purchasing a new Win 10 Pro license after the transition as I expected Microsoft's free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 would not be recognized after the transition.

I spent hours reading the applicable portions of the Macrium Knowledgebase and many posts in the Macrium Forums which seemed to apply to my upcoming transition. When Tiny was complete, I purchased a four-pack of Macrium Reflect Home and began the transition process…
I generated a Rescue Disk, a WinPE disk, and a Macrium image backup on USB drives. I used the WinPE disk to start Tiny, transferred the partitions (except the Data partition), and used my mouse to click on Redeploy. Before I got my finger off the mouse button, Redeploy already gave the message it was complete. Well, that did not give me a good feeling as I could not believe the major change in hardware could work almost instantaneously with no problems.

I restarted Tiny. It booted right up WITH NO PROBLEMS. I then transferred the data partition image to Tiny, making the change to a smaller partition and rebooted. Worked perfectly; my programs could 'see' their data. In addition, I was able, with a little help from Microsoft, to reactivate my Win 10 pro, so no need to purchase a new Win 10 license.

I thank all the Macrium personnel for building Macrium Reflect Home and making the changes needed to keep it current.

Steve K

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.5K reputation)
Group: Administrators
SteveK - 15 September 2020 8:28 PM
Well I'll be a raging river stopped in its tracks by a monstrous, concrete structure!!

Moving from an 8-year old, Intel-based, 21in X 21n X 10in, NOISY, 8-fan computer (Behemoth) to a new, AMD Ryzen-based, 9in X 9in X 3in, SILENT, single fan computer (Tiny) was such a huge change in hardware I was VERY concerned about this transition. I just did not want to lose some old, non-replaceable programs which I still use frequently. I was also resigned to purchasing a new Win 10 Pro license after the transition as I expected Microsoft's free upgrade from Win 8.1 to Win 10 would not be recognized after the transition.

I spent hours reading the applicable portions of the Macrium Knowledgebase and many posts in the Macrium Forums which seemed to apply to my upcoming transition. When Tiny was complete, I purchased a four-pack of Macrium Reflect Home and began the transition process…
I generated a Rescue Disk, a WinPE disk, and a Macrium image backup on USB drives. I used the WinPE disk to start Tiny, transferred the partitions (except the Data partition), and used my mouse to click on Redeploy. Before I got my finger off the mouse button, Redeploy already gave the message it was complete. Well, that did not give me a good feeling as I could not believe the major change in hardware could work almost instantaneously with no problems.

I restarted Tiny. It booted right up WITH NO PROBLEMS. I then transferred the data partition image to Tiny, making the change to a smaller partition and rebooted. Worked perfectly; my programs could 'see' their data. In addition, I was able, with a little help from Microsoft, to reactivate my Win 10 pro, so no need to purchase a new Win 10 license.

I thank all the Macrium personnel for building Macrium Reflect Home and making the changes needed to keep it current.

Steve K

Hi Steve

Thank you for your positive comments. It's appreciated!

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

SteveK
SteveK
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Nick - 17 September 2020 12:16 PM
SteveK - 15 September 2020 8:28 PM

Steve K

Hi Steve

Thank you for your positive comments. It's appreciated!

Having just spent this afternoon replacing my daughter's humongous floortop computer with an AMD A-300 Deskmini and using another of my Macrium Reflect Home licenses to transfer all the data, apps and files to her new A-300, I am again quite impressed and happy with MR Home so, thanks to all the MR wizards
SteveK.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search