INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE

Author
KimChi
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello Forum Members,
there are numerous reports that can be found in the internet, but I have no success getting past this error.
From Macrium 7.2 Build 5107 I created a rescue media with default settings that I used to clone an Intel NVMe SSD 256GB to Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 2TB. That was successful. The Intel SSD remained in the Laptop (Dell 7400) while the Samsung SSD was connected by a Delock M.2 NVMe Adapter that has a USB-C cable. After replacing the Intel SSD with the Samsung SSD I powered on the laptop and the boot ended in a BSOD saying: Inaccessible Boot Device. The Boot mode is set to UEFI and the UEFI Boot correctly reports "Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2 TB, Partition 2. In the BIOS Boot Sequence I see Windows Boot Manager and again UEFI: Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 2TB, Partition 2 (in that sequence).
Trying to "repair" the Samsung SSD with the Macrium rescue media using "Fix Windows boot problems" that the drive is D:\Windows (when cloning the Drive Letter was set to "Auto"). Trying to edit Windows Installation to C:\Windows yields in "The entered path is not on a local disk". Back to Fix Boot Problems, clicking Finish gives: checked green for EFI partition found on disk 2, red cross for Removing old BCD, checked green for Creating BCD for D:\Windows and then a confirmation popup asking to Restart your PC? The restart fails with another BSOD and Error code: 0xc0000001.
Tried the same cloning again with Samsung SSD already installed in the laptop and the old Intel SSD on Delock interface - no difference.
Your help will be appreciated very much!
Thank you in advance and kind regards
Peter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You shouldn't have to do this when moving from NVMe to NVMe, but try running Macrium ReDeploy rather than just Fix Boot Problems.  Don't worry about the Windows partition having the wrong drive letter in Rescue.  That can happen, but it will still be C when you boot from it.  The BCD path shown in Rescue needs to point to the Windows partition, even if it's currently using a different drive letter, so it will not necessarily have to be C there.

KimChi
KimChi
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 15 September 2020 3:41 PM
You shouldn't have to do this when moving from NVMe to NVMe, but try running Macrium ReDeploy rather than just Fix Boot Problems.  Don't worry about the Windows partition having the wrong drive letter in Rescue.  That can happen, but it will still be C when you boot from it.  The BCD path shown in Rescue needs to point to the Windows partition, even if it's currently using a different drive letter, so it will not necessarily have to be C there.

Excellent, jphughan, well spotted. Though I did try this before using default settings this time the ReDeploy fixed this nasty problem after I checked some boxes - stupidly without making notes of what I checked. 
Anyway, my new SSD is available, system is happily booting and I'm happy as well!
Thank you very much!
Kind regards
Peter
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
That's very strange given the circumstances.  Having to do that would be expected if you were switching between SATA and NVMe, and I remember somebody had an issue moving FROM a Samsung NVMe SSD because the Samsung NVMe driver wouldn't load properly for a new SSD (even though it was a newer Samsung SSD), but that doesn't seem to account for your scenario.  You didn't change any BIOS settings during this swap, such as switching between RAID and AHCI mode, did you?  Because that would be fixed by ReDeploy too.

KimChi
KimChi
jphughan - 15 September 2020 4:45 PM
That's very strange given the circumstances.  Having to do that would be expected if you were switching between SATA and NVMe, and I remember somebody had an issue moving FROM a Samsung NVMe SSD because the Samsung NVMe driver wouldn't load properly for a new SSD (even though it was a newer Samsung SSD), but that doesn't seem to account for your scenario.  You didn't change any BIOS settings during this swap, such as switching between RAID and AHCI mode, did you?  Because that would be fixed by ReDeploy too.

no, I did not change any BIOS settings, least of all RAID and AHCI. I consider to repeat the whole job but my time is running away ...
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search