Is it safe to delete two old backup files?

Author
Bewildered
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I just noticed a file dated 5/3/20, and the next one dated 7/29/2020 (which is labeled as type "Error_Loading), and then a continuous set of files starting at 8/10/2020. As those two do not seem to be part of my in-use backup set, can I safely delete them?

capair45
capair45
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)
Bewildered - 14 September 2020 9:19 PM
I just noticed a file dated 5/3/20, and the next one dated 7/29/2020 (which is labeled as type "Error_Loading), and then a continuous set of files starting at 8/10/2020. As those two do not seem to be part of my in-use backup set, can I safely delete them?

You can delete any file that you no longer need.  Its best to do this from within Reflect > Restore Tab > Locate File > Other Actions > Delete.

Windows 10 Home (2004)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.5107
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
If you have a file that was renamed to have the "Error_loading" extension, then that means Reflect has evicted it from the set due to having encountered a problem trying to work with it.  As a result, any subsequent files in the set that depend on that file are likely unusable.  If the file that was renamed was an Incremental, then any newer Incrementals in the same "chain" would now be useless.  (There may be an exception here if the renamed Incremental was the newest Incremental at the time of the rename, in which case subsequent Incrementals would be fine since they wouldn't have been created from that renamed Incremental, but I'm not sure this scenario is possible.  Also note that if you have a newer Differential, then any Incrementals built from THAT would be unaffected.)  If the renamed file was a Differential, then any Incrementals built from that Differential would be useless, although again any Incrementals built from a different Differential or as direct children of the Full would be unaffected.  If the renamed file was a Full, then all backups in that entire set should be considered useless.

If you want to be completely safe, consider just creating a new Full if that would be feasible based on the size of a Full backup and the destination storage you have available -- although of course that wouldn't do anything to preserve or restore any older backups containing older versions of your data if you ever need to restore them.

Edited 15 September 2020 2:00 AM by jphughan
Bewildered
Bewildered
New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)New Member (8 reputation)
Thanks to the two who took the time to reply. The first reply taught me about the proper way to delete old files. I have never dug very deep into Reflect: It backs up, I rarely need to restore, and that is about all I've ever needed to know.

As for the second reply, a full back up runs every Monday morning at 0700 local, incrementals daily at 1700 local; at least I know how to set that up. It also explained the abstruse "Error-loadding" entry; I don't recall having ever wanted to load errors....

I tend to delve into programs where I find a need to do that. For example, not long ago I wrote a very complex forty-six page document using Word Perfect. It has paragraphs, subparagraphs, sub-sub paragraphs, full-page images with cross references, footnotes, etc. It was a history of a ten-year project that I started and ran about what were at the time two new related technologies in structural fire suppression, written some twenty years after the conclusion of the project when a location to post the document was finally created. The technologies were created by the US Federal Wildland fire community; at the risk of seeming to be bragging, I was successful in having them adapted to the needs of the structural fire community, and are now in use world-wide. Rather an unusual endeavor for one who is by way of his academic background a medieval historian.

capair45
capair45
Advanced Member
Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)Advanced Member (565 reputation)
Additionally, If you have MIG (Macrium Image Guardian) enabled on your backup disk (it is enabled by default) then it is always easier to delete images from within Reflect as opposed to using File Explorer. 

MIG only allows image/backup deletions or modifications from within Reflect.  This design is to prevent ransomeware attacks.  If you (or one of the bad guys) try to delete or modify an image on a MIG protected disk by using File Explorer, MIG will intercept this process and prevent it (give it a try to see MIG work).  MIG protects files with the following extensions: mrimg, mrbak, mrex, mrsql

MIG can be turned on or off temporarily from the Other Tasks menu. Additionally, it can be turned off by clicking on an NTSF volume in Reflects main window and accessing the Actions drop-down menu. When the PC is restarted, Image Guardian will be re-enabled on all backup drives. This prevents accidentally leaving your drives unprotected by manually turning protection off.

A MIG protected volume can be identified by a circle with two blue arrows inside the circle. You can mouse-over this icon to see the current status of MIG.

You can review MIG events by accessing the Events tab from Other Tasks > Macrium Image Guardian Settings

Windows 10 Home (2004)
Macrium Reflect 7.2.5107
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2

Edited 15 September 2020 12:19 PM by capair45
Bewildered
Bewildered
capair: Thanks. I actually know about MIG, and how to disable it from Other Tasks, but not about either clicking on a NTSF volume nor reviewing its events. Those latter two are the type of things that I don't know about and doubt that I need to know about; as I wrote earlier, I have not delved at all deeply into Reflect and so far, have never seen any need to do that.

I have never used File Explorer to remove a file in Reflect.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search