0x8004230f VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR when running sheduled backup

Author
StarGeneral
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello together,

i have a question about an error i did notice when doing maintenance work on my private home-fileserver.
Situation:

- Windows 10 x64
- Macrium Reflect 7.2.4228 UEFI
- 2x Western Digital Red 3 TB 
@Software Raid 1

- 1x Western Digital Red 6 TB
- Running Full (1x/month) and differential (1x/day) backups of specific folders from the 3TB Raid 1 to the 6 TB disk

As i fear my home-server of being stolen, both volumes (source and target of the backup) are encrypted with Veracrypt. The Veracrypt client is started on initial startup of the server and the volumes are decrypted and assinged with a drive-letter after entering the correct password.
As soon as a possible theft disconnects the server from the power supply, all relevant data becomes unreadable for him.

As i could find out, the backup process runs into trouble since i encrypted the source and target partition. Before i did that, it ran without any error messages.
Regarding to the logs, an error 0x8004230f occurs while trying to create the volume snapshot. Complete error message:

Creating Volume Snapshot - Please Wait
Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463 - Retrying without VSS Writers

Failed To Create Volume Snapshot. Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x8004230f
- Error text: VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->BackupComplete(&pAsync)" failed.
- Returned HRESULT = 0x80042301
- Error text: VSS_E_BAD_STATE
ERROR: COM call "m_pVssObject->AddToSnapshotSet((LPWSTR)volume.c_str(), GUID_NULL, &SnapshotID)" failed.

Concerning to the logs, the backup runs through without any further errors (it does not abort). There are the ".mrbak"-files as expected which can be opened without any problem.
So this problem does not seem to have any direct effect on my backup strategy?

To solve this, i tried some Knowledge-Base articles and found out:
- Volume shadow copy service is running
- VSS Registry-keys are fine and as expected (just the Windows-service)
- Hard drive bytes per sector are all the same each of the three drives: 512
- sfc /scannow is fine
- Hard Disk Drives Health and SMART is fine
- reboot did not solve the problem
- CMD "vssadmin list providers" only lists the Microsoft Component
- CMD "vssadmin list writers" only lists writers with Status: Stable and "no error"
- CMD "vssadmin list shadows" lists no results
- CMD "vssadmin list shadowstorage" lists no results --> Is this correct?

As the error occurs since i encrypted the drives, i assume that there is some connection.
A decryption of the drives is no option for me. Unfortunately, i cannot use bitlocker (no support for Software-RAID1-volumes) so i have to fall back to Veracrypt.

Does anyone have an idea how to fix that?
Thank you very much in advance!
Edited 13 September 2020 8:32 PM by StarGeneral
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Is that log text from the regular job log or the VSS log?  The latter should be shown under the Log tab as a child item of the job log (which is accessed by selecting the item with a time of day indicated).  If the VSS log has more info than what you've posted, that might be useful.  Otherwise, retrying a job without VSS writers often can result in a perfectly usable backup, which is why Reflect defaults to attempting that option if a standard VSS snapshot fails.  Basically, a VSS writer is a component that an application can use to prepare for a VSS snapshot when Windows notifies it that a snapshot is about to occur.  It might be designed to write out certain data from memory to disk to get the data on disk in a consistent state, for example.  And some writers might even remove certain data from the snapshot, such as the Windows Indexing service that removes its database since that can get quite large and is rebuilt automatically whenever it's missing.  But if the normal VSS snapshot fails, Reflect will retry the snapshot WITHOUT giving an opportunity for those VSS writers to make such customizations to the data on disk first.  There are some applications where the successful execution of their VSS writer is essential to being confident that you have a good backup of their data if those applications were running at the time, such as Microsoft Exchange and SQL.  Hyper-V is another example, since it has a clever VSS writer that allows for capturing good backups of running VMs -- if it's allowed to execute properly.  But if you're not using any of those applications, then a "writer-less" VSS snapshot can often be perfectly fine.  Reflect does have an option to prevent this type of backup for people who do have "VSS-sensitive" applications, but it's not enabled by default.

I suspect you may be right about VeraCrypt being the culprit.  Does your system not have a hardware or even firmware-level RAID controller, such as Intel Rapid Storage?

StarGeneral
StarGeneral
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Thank you very much for your answer and your time. Now i understand what VSS writers do, thank you for that also.

Here is the requested VSS-Log:

(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get file list descriptors
- Get database descriptors
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
Discover directly excluded components ...
- Excluding writer '' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
- Component '\TasksStore' from writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\WriterMetadataStore' from writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\PerformanceCounters' from writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\COM+ REGDB' from writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\Registry' from writer 'Registry Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\WMI' from writer 'WMI Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
Discover all excluded components ...
Discover excluded writers ...
- The writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
(it does not contain any components that can be potentially included in the backup)
- The writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
(it does not contain any components that can be potentially included in the backup)
- The writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'Registry Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'WMI Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
Discover explicitly included components ...
Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
Select explicitly included components ...
Creating shadow set {b7e1bf82-60ab-4d70-917a-d1396e59abd9} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{8be4b9c3-b01f-11ea-a31e-7085c28b7c51}\ [D:\] to the shadow set...

Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

- Setting the VSS context to: 0x00000010
Creating shadow set {b64c1497-195b-4686-9a93-803e14300966} ...
- Adding volume \\?\Volume{8be4b9c3-b01f-11ea-a31e-7085c28b7c51}\ [D:\] to the shadow set...

I cannot read any further information from it, can you see anything suspicious?
I am questioning the "vssadmin list shadowstorage" cmd command listing no results - is that correct? 

I am not using a hardware RAID controller because of power consumption, cooling and reliability reasons. I assume i could use Intel RST, but that would mean a complete re-setup of my drives and data, which will take quite some time.
Do you see any chance to get this working?

As far as the backups are useable, i am fine with deactivating VSS for the backup-tasks as i am not using any of the software you mentioned (SQL Server, ...).

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
Group: Administrators
StarGeneral - 14 September 2020 7:34 PM
Thank you very much for your answer and your time. Now i understand what VSS writers do, thank you for that also.

Here is the requested VSS-Log:

(Gathering writer metadata...)
(Waiting for the asynchronous operation to finish...)
Initialize writer metadata ...
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
- Get log descriptors
- Get exclude files
- Enumerate components
Discover directly excluded components ...
- Excluding writer 'Shadow Copy Optimization Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
- Excluding writer 'MSSearch Service Writer' since it has no selected components for restore.
Discover components that reside outside the shadow set ...
- Component '\TasksStore' from writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\WriterMetadataStore' from writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\PerformanceCounters' from writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\COM+ REGDB' from writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\Registry' from writer 'Registry Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
- Component '\WMI' from writer 'WMI Writer' is excluded from backup (it requires C:\ in the shadow set)
Discover all excluded components ...
Discover excluded writers ...
- The writer 'Task Scheduler Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'VSS Metadata Store Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'Performance Counters Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'COM+ REGDB Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'Registry Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
- The writer 'WMI Writer' is now entirely excluded from the backup:
Discover explicitly included components ...
Verifying explicitly specified writers/components ...
Select explicitly included components ...
Creating shadow set {b7e1bf82-60ab-4d70-917a-d1396e59abd9} ...

Completing the backup (BackupComplete) ...

- Setting the VSS context to: 0x00000010
Creating shadow set {b64c1497-195b-4686-9a93-803e14300966} ...

I cannot read any further information from it, can you see anything suspicious?
I am questioning the "vssadmin list shadowstorage" cmd command listing no results - is that correct? 

I am not using a hardware RAID controller because of power consumption, cooling and reliability reasons. I assume i could use Intel RST, but that would mean a complete re-setup of my drives and data, which will take quite some time.
Do you see any chance to get this working?

As far as the backups are useable, i am fine with deactivating VSS for the backup-tasks as i am not using any of the software you mentioned (SQL Server, ...).

Thanks for posting.

I'm afraid that Veracrypt is only compatible with VSS for whole disk encryption on the system disk. This is because, in this situation, encryption is effectively underneath the OS and therefore isn't visible. All other encrypted volumes are incompatible. This is an incompatibility with the MS VSS Provider. There is no VSS Provider available for Veracrypt.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 15 September 2020 7:05 AM by Nick
StarGeneral
StarGeneral
Thank you very much for your reply. Therefore, the right step would be to deactivate VSS in the backup jobs? 
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.6K reputation)
StarGeneral - 16 September 2020 4:40 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. Therefore, the right step would be to deactivate VSS in the backup jobs? 

Thanks for getting back.

I'm afraid VSS can't be deactivated as It isn't possible to create an image of a mounted file system without VSS.  VSS writers can be disabled but not VSS.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

StarGeneral
StarGeneral
That means i have to live with the error message, but as long as the backups are useable, this is totally fine?
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
StarGeneral - 17 September 2020 3:45 PM
That means i have to live with the error message, but as long as the backups are useable, this is totally fine?

Thanks for getting back. I'm not sure how you managed to create an image with VSS failure.

Could you possibly attach the Image log for the image with VSS failure? That's the backup HTML log not the VSS log. Right click in the log and select 'Select All' then Ctrl+C. You can paste the log text in your reply using Ctrl+V, but please can you remove your license key if it's in the pasted text. 

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

StarGeneral
StarGeneral
Thank you very much for your answer and sorry for taking me so long to respond. As i was on vacation, i could not read your reply until now.
Here ist the log requested from the run last night. I replaced any private information with "X".

Backup ID - 4D89184E66894E90

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Definition File: c:\users\XXX\documents\reflect\XXX.xml
Auto Verify: N
Maximum File Size: Automatic
Compression: Medium
Password: N
NTFS Permissions: Y
Folder Reparse Points: Follow user reparse points, do not follow system reparse points
Backup set matching: Similar - Match on backups with at least one matching folder
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: N
Email On Warning: N
Email On Failure: N
Current Time: 25.09.2020 05:00:31

Destination:
Backup Type: Differential
File Name: Append to recent backup in directory 'E:\XXX\'
E:\XXX\4D89184E66894E90-18-18.mrbak

Folder: D:\XXX\
Include File Filter: *.*
Exclude File Filter: *.temp; *.tmp; *.bak; *.~*
Include Sub Folders: Y
Exclude Folder Filter:
Exclude Hidden Files: N
Exclude System Files: N

Failed: Failed - 0x8004230f - IDispatch error #8463 - Retrying without VSS Writers
Starting Backup - Friday, September 25, 2020 05:00:39
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: Backup (E:) - Free Space 3.95 TB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 20.00 GB

Determining files to copy
Total Number of Files: 38
Total Number of Folders: 1
Total Size: 14.89 GB
Deleting files from backup
Nothing to delete
Copying files
Saving cluster information
Saving Index
New File: 288 MB 4D89184E66894E90-18-18.mrbak

Retention Rules
Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder

Full: Retain 1 full backups
Linked incremental and differential backups will also be deleted

Backup Sets: 1 sets found
Nothing to delete

Differential: Retain differential backups for 31 Days
Linked incremental backups will also be deleted

Differential Backups: 18 found
Nothing to delete

I/O Performance: Read 2.0 Gb/s - Write 13.7 Gb/s

Backup Completed Successfully in 00:04:23. See log for full details

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.4228 - XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX

Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
StarGeneral - 25 September 2020 12:24 PM
Thank you very much for your answer and sorry for taking me so long to respond. As i was on vacation, i could not read your reply until now.
Here ist the log requested from the run last night. I replaced any private information with "X".

Backup ID - 4D89184E66894E90

Backup Summary

Backup Definition File: c:\users\XXX\documents\reflect\XXX.xml
Auto Verify: N
Maximum File Size: Automatic
Compression: Medium
Password: N
NTFS Permissions: Y
Folder Reparse Points: Follow user reparse points, do not follow system reparse points
Backup set matching: Similar - Match on backups with at least one matching folder
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: N
Email On Warning: N
Email On Failure: N
Current Time: 25.09.2020 05:00:31

Destination:
Backup Type: Differential
File Name: Append to recent backup in directory 'E:\XXX\'
E:\XXX\4D89184E66894E90-18-18.mrbak

Folder: D:\XXX\
Include File Filter: *.*
Exclude File Filter: *.temp; *.tmp; *.bak; *.~*
Include Sub Folders: Y
Exclude Folder Filter:
Exclude Hidden Files: N
Exclude System Files: N

Starting Backup - Friday, September 25, 2020 05:00:39
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Destination Drive: Backup (E:) - Free Space 3.95 TB
Image Guardian: Protected
Free space threshold: Delete oldest backup sets when free space is less than 20.00 GB

Determining files to copy
Total Number of Files: 38
Total Number of Folders: 1
Total Size: 14.89 GB
Deleting files from backup
Nothing to delete
Copying files
Saving cluster information
Saving Index
New File: 288 MB 4D89184E66894E90-18-18.mrbak

Retention Rules
Rules will be applied to all matching backup sets in the destination folder

Full: Retain 1 full backups
Linked incremental and differential backups will also be deleted

Backup Sets: 1 sets found
Nothing to delete

Differential: Retain differential backups for 31 Days
Linked incremental backups will also be deleted

Differential Backups: 18 found
Nothing to delete

I/O Performance: Read 2.0 Gb/s - Write 13.7 Gb/s

Backup Completed Successfully in 00:04:23. See log for full details

Macrium Reflect Home Edition v7.2.4228 - XX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXX

Thanks for getting back and supplying that information. Appologies, I made the mistake of thinking you were creating a disk image not a File and Folder backup. F&F backups will complete without VSS. If VSS fails for any reason then open files won't be backed up. In this situation it appears that that isn't a problem, so you're fine without VSS.

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search