Back Again

Author
Nisko
Talented Member
Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@jphoughan​

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to the last posts asking me to run a command and report the results to this forum.  What happened is, not to my surprise, eventually I was not able to skip the "Invalid File Table" error - and I couldn't boot at all. I ended up purchasing a new SSD and performing a clean install of my OS​.  That seems to have solved the "Invalid Partition Table" error.  Although there was nothing wrong with the sectors on my original OS drive, per chkdsk /r,  A new drive was the only thing left for me to try (after installing a BIOS which was the same version BIOS I already had on my system).   Now I have the unenviable task of re-creating my apps and settings.  Thank you all for trying to help me solve this issue.  I thought I was prepared for every possible calamity - but Murphy's Law got me. As Sherlock Holmes once said, "When you have eliminated the impossible, what ever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Now, I wish I could over-ride my clean install with my latest image, but that doesn't work.  I also tried to populate my new SSD with my image, but I received an error that pointed to a file issue (Windows\system32\winload.exe.  Now, if anyone knows how to fix this error, I wouldn't have to rebuild my system - a very long process.  Thank you......​​​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Nisko, if you want the "mention" feature to work by typing the 
@
sign followed by my username in order for me to get a notification, you have to spell my username correctly. Smile

In terms of your issue, if you want assistance you'll have to be rather more specific about exactly what you did when trying to restore your backup to your new drive.  At a bare minimum, a screenshot from the Rescue Media interface that shows the partition layout of your disk after you ran the restore would be needed.  You can see that partition layout by selecting the Backup tab in Rescue.  To make a screenshot in Rescue, click the camera icon in the taskbar, then choose where to save the full screen screenshot that was just captured.  And then you'll need to be more specific about the Winload error.  There should be an error code of some kind.  Take a photo of your display if you have to.

Information about your original and replacement drives would be useful too.  For example, did you move from a SATA to NVMe SSD?  That makes a difference.

Did you boot into Rescue and try running Fix Boot Problems?  If you switched from SATA to NVMe, did you also run Macrium ReDeploy?

Nisko
Nisko
Talented Member
Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)Talented Member (162 reputation)
jphughan - 11 September 2020 2:06 AM
Nisko, if you want the "mention" feature to work by typing the 
@
sign followed by my username in order for me to get a notification, you have to spell my username correctly. Smile

In terms of your issue, if you want assistance you'll have to be rather more specific about exactly what you did when trying to restore your backup to your new drive.  At a bare minimum, a screenshot from the Rescue Media interface that shows the partition layout of your disk after you ran the restore would be needed.  You can see that partition layout by selecting the Backup tab in Rescue.  To make a screenshot in Rescue, click the camera icon in the taskbar, then choose where to save the full screen screenshot that was just captured.  And then you'll need to be more specific about the Winload error.  There should be an error code of some kind.  Take a photo of your display if you have to.

Information about your original and replacement drives would be useful too.  For example, did you move from a SATA to NVMe SSD?  That makes a difference.

Did you boot into Rescue and try running Fix Boot Problems?  If you switched from SATA to NVMe, did you also run Macrium ReDeploy?

OK, thanks
@
jphughan​ (got it right this time BigGrin ).  Of course, I'll do what you suggest.  But first, I have to install some basic apps so I can get up and running. I'm not a well man, so this might take some time.  What is NVMe?  And what is Macrium ReDeploy?  I don't even have the Macrium app installed yet. I replaced my OS drive (which was a Samsung 1TB EVO SATA drive) with the same thing.  I did boot into Rescue and tried to fix boot problems - but that didn't work.  As for the screenshot of the Rescue Media Interface, I believe it's too late for that as I've now completed a clean Install.  I don't believe that screenshot is any longer available (unless I do the whole thing over again.  Advice?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
You can always boot into Rescue Media and take a screenshot, but if you've already replaced your restored image with a clean install, then the screenshot of your drive's current state wouldn't provide any useful information.  If you need to get some basic apps installed just to get a functional system so that you can get some work done, then that makes sense, but keep in mind that if you do decide to reattempt a restore later, you'd be overwriting anything you're doing now -- so the more time you invest in getting your clean install set up, the less it will make sense to restore your old backup, since you'll effectively be writing off all the time you're spending now.

NVMe is a new type of interface that some SSDs use.  Rather than operating over SATA, they interface directly over PCIe, which allows them to be much faster.  A SATA SSD tends to top out around 550 MB/s, whereas modern NVMe SSDs are now approaching 4 GB/s.

Macrium ReDeploy is a wizard intended to facilitate restoring an image onto hardware different from the system from which it was captured.  The typical use case is if your PC suddenly dies completely and you decide to replace it with a completely different PC.  Sometimes a Windows environment set up on one PC won't boot properly on a completely different PC's hardware because Windows basically configured itself to load certain drivers for boot-critical drivers and does not always adapt automatically if that hardware changes, so at that point it can end up loading an incorrect/incomplete driver set and thus fail to boot.  Macrium ReDeploy is designed to tweak the restored Windows environment enough that it WILL boot properly in that scenario.  Typically if you just replace a hard drive, it isn't necessary to use.  But if you switch to a drive that uses a different type of data interface, that can make a difference, because a Windows environment set up to expect to boot from a SATA device won't be set up to load an NVMe driver at startup, and therefore might not start properly if you move that installation onto an NVMe device without a tool like ReDeploy to make the necessary adjustments.

Good luck!

Seekforever
Seekforever
Expert
Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Has there been an attempt to look at the partition type descriptors for each partition on the disk? If this is wrong then Windows won't understand the partition but it will not be flagged as a bad sector if the error is not as a result of a hardware issue. I don't know off-hand how you get this type descriptor but it is possible I would think. Did see them for MBR disks in the past.
Nisko
Nisko
Talented Member
jphughan - 11 September 2020 4:40 AM
You can always boot into Rescue Media and take a screenshot, but if you've already replaced your restored image with a clean install, then the screenshot of your drive's current state wouldn't provide any useful information.  If you need to get some basic apps installed just to get a functional system so that you can get some work done, then that makes sense, but keep in mind that if you do decide to reattempt a restore later, you'd be overwriting anything you're doing now -- so the more time you invest in getting your clean install set up, the less it will make sense to restore your old backup, since you'll effectively be writing off all the time you're spending now.

NVMe is a new type of interface that some SSDs use.  Rather than operating over SATA, they interface directly over PCIe, which allows them to be much faster.  A SATA SSD tends to top out around 550 MB/s, whereas modern NVMe SSDs are now approaching 4 GB/s.

Macrium ReDeploy is a wizard intended to facilitate restoring an image onto hardware different from the system from which it was captured.  The typical use case is if your PC suddenly dies completely and you decide to replace it with a completely different PC.  Sometimes a Windows environment set up on one PC won't boot properly on a completely different PC's hardware because Windows basically configured itself to load certain drivers for boot-critical drivers and does not always adapt automatically if that hardware changes, so at that point it can end up loading an incorrect/incomplete driver set and thus fail to boot.  Macrium ReDeploy is designed to tweak the restored Windows environment enough that it WILL boot properly in that scenario.  Typically if you just replace a hard drive, it isn't necessary to use.  But if you switch to a drive that uses a different type of data interface, that can make a difference, because a Windows environment set up to expect to boot from a SATA device won't be set up to load an NVMe driver at startup, and therefore might not start properly if you move that installation onto an NVMe device without a tool like ReDeploy to make the necessary adjustments.

Good luck!
Hello 
@jphoughan​

I know I didn't take the screenshot the way you instructed.  I apologize.  If I have to do it again, I will.  Please remember that I'm an old man and not well.  I do miss some instructions from time to time.  That being said, I've included a photograph of the screen I think you said would might have important information.​  This is a screenshot of the disk I'm trying to restore from Macrium.  If it's not correct or unreadable, I'll wipe my disk again and do it over.  I also took photographs of every screen I encountered during the OS disk wipe (diskpart as you instructed) and attempt ot restore my OS from Macrium.  If those photographs would help, I'll send those too.  They'll show every step I took.  It's very important for me to get my disk restored.  If Macrium is not the cause for the problems I'm haveing, and it's my fault, I'd like to know what I did wrong.  The problems started right after I performed a Macrium Restore.  I know I didn't (intentionally) change anything in my OS disk configuration.  Thank you.​

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Hey Nisko,

Unfortunately I don't see any screenshots or photos attached to your post.  Try editing it to add them or just adding them to a new post.  Hopefully we can get you squared away

Nisko
Nisko
Talented Member
jphughan - 13 September 2020 1:33 AM
Hey Nisko,

Unfortunately I don't see any screenshots or photos attached to your post.  Try editing it to add them or just adding them to a new post.  Hopefully we can get you squared away
@jphoughan

It looks like my JPEG is 5 Mb in size and the upload limit is 1 Mb - so I can't upload my photo. I'm typing this with my clean install - which, when I wipe the drive using diskpart within Macrium as you instructed, then try to restore the clean install image, I receive a different error message than Invalid Partition Table but I can't restore it. posted the error message in a previous post,  - but, I don't remember the error and don't know how to go back within the thread and find it. I would if I could.

So now I have two backup images that won't restore - one (the one causing the original problem) results in the "Invalid Partition Table" error - and the image of the clean install which won't restore either.  I've been using Macrium Reflect (paid version) for years without a problem.  I'm making the backups just as I always did.  I cannot understand the logic of why I'm having these problems.  The only common thing I see is that both backups will not restore - and both of them were created using Macrium.  I do realize that Macrium has existed for many years and is a very reliable app.  That's why I purchased it - and not stay with the free version.  If I have to attempt to restore the original problem image that resulted in an Invalid Partition Table, in order to get the screenshot you requested, I will do so. But I'm trying to avoid that because it will take me at least a day's work to get back to a clean install where I am now.  Also, I can't restore the image of the clean install - so I'm between a rock and a hard place.  That being said, here's the information from the two installations:

Image of drive resulting in the "Invalid Partition Table" error:  This information was taken from within Macrium before an attempt to restore.
MBR Disk 1 Samsung 840 EVO 1TB
Four partitions:
1.  System Reserved (None)  NTFS Active 373.9 MB / 549.0 MB
2.  Windows 10, NTFS Primary, 113.1 GB / 929.62 GB
3.  (None), NTFS Primary,  512.8 MB / 599.0 MB
4.  (None), NTFS Primary, 437.2 MB / 783.0 MB

Image of Clean Install taken by Disk Management (This is the OS I'm now using - but, when I try to restore it on a clean drive, I get an error.
Disk 0 Basic, 931.51 GB, Online
Four Partitions:
1.  System Reserved (HSmile 549 MB, NTFS, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
2.  Windows 10 (CSmile, 929.62 GB., NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
3.  NOTE: This partition is shaded, 599 MB, Healthy (Recovery Partition)
4.  783 MB, Healthy (Recovery Partition)

I hope this information is helpful in discovering what is causing the "Invalid Partition Table" error - and why I can't restore from either image.  Thank you........

Nisko
Nisko
Talented Member
Those smileys don't belong there - result of a colon and a close parenthesis
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Those partition layouts are pretty standard.  The layout from your original backups has two partitions after C likely because Windows at some point had to create a larger Recovery partition than the original one, so it did that by shrinking C and creating a larger one immediately after it in that freed up space -- which is why that one is larger than the one at the end of the disk.  Your clean install only has one Recovery partition after C, which is normal for a new install.  If wiping your target disk before performing the restore, and then restoring all partitions in that "clean install backup" doesn't allow your system to boot afterward -- even after running Fix Boot Problems? -- then the next question is what specific error you're seeing when that restored and allegedly fixed backup tries to boot.  But if you don't have a photo of that, then anything would just be speculation.  And if you're already on your second clean install after having found that a backup of your FIRST clean install isn't restoring as expected, then I can certainly see why you would be reluctant to wipe your disk again and run another restore just to see that error, only to potentially have to embark on a THIRD clean install if the error can't be resolved.  But unfortunately that doesn't resolve the dilemma of not being able to troubleshoot an unknown error.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search