Problems with backup to a Windows 2019 server

Author
soniaZ
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Having problems backing up to RAID array on Windows Server 2019 Standard for some reason -  the backup works if the op system is Win 10
Any ideas or help
Thank You

Edited 8 September 2020 9:56 PM by soniaZ
soniaZ
soniaZ
New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)New Member (7 reputation)

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Given that it mentions a write operation failure, it would suggest an issue with the destination.  Can you provide more info about the RAID array?  Are the RAID controller and member disks all local to this system, or is this maybe a Fibre Channel or iSCSI LUN target?  And in terms of your note about Win10, are you saying that this exact system when running Windows 10 and when backing up to this exact same RAID target works fine?  If so, what specific release of Win10 are you running there?  Server 2019 shares its kernel with Win10 1809.  Any difference in the RAID controller drivers?

(And just for future reference, you posted this in the File & Folder section of the forum, but the screenshot indicates that this is a Disk Image backup.)

Edited 9 September 2020 12:53 AM by jphughan
soniaZ
soniaZ
jphughan - 9 September 2020 12:53 AM
Given that it mentions a write operation failure, it would suggest an issue with the destination.  Can you provide more info about the RAID array?  Are the RAID controller and member disks all local to this system, or is this maybe a Fibre Channel or iSCSI LUN target?  And in terms of your note about Win10, are you saying that this exact system when running Windows 10 and when backing up to this exact same RAID target works fine?  If so, what specific release of Win10 are you running there?  Server 2019 shares its kernel with Win10 1809.  Any difference in the RAID controller drivers?

(And just for future reference, you posted this in the File & Folder section of the forum, but the screenshot indicates that this is a Disk Image backup.)

RAID array  2  22TB  Arrays running remote access via smb

Win10, are you saying that this exact system when running Windows 10 and when backing up to this exact same RAID target works fine?  YES
Any difference in the RAID controller drivers?  NO

Please also note  the I/O performance read 12.1 GB/s  which is  definitely  wrong  as posted by Reflect prior to the crash

Thank you for your help

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Ok, the mention that the RAID array is accessed over SMB suggests that there are two systems involved here. I thought you were backing up one local disk in this system to a RAID virtual disk in that same system. If there are two systems involved, a more precise description of the problem and success scenarios would be useful. For example:

- When you say this fails on Server 2019, is that the source system running 2019, the destination system hosting the RAID array, or both systems? If it’s only one system running 2019, what OS is the OTHER system running?

- When you say Win10 works, same question. Is it just the source system running Win10, destination system hosting RAID array, or both?

You also didn’t mention which feature release of Win10 you’re testing with.

The more clearly you can describe your environment, the more likely others will be able to help you.

Note that the transfer rate quoted is 12 Gb (gigaBITS), not 12 GB (gigaBYTES) as you wrote. 12 Gb = 1.5 GB. But that just measures how quickly Reflect can get data from the source. It doesn’t mean it’s able to write it to the destination that quickly. That would be the write speed, which is considerably lower in your screenshot.
soniaZ
soniaZ
jphughan - 9 September 2020 3:57 AM
Ok, the mention that the RAID array is accessed over SMB suggests that there are two systems involved here. I thought you were backing up one local disk in this system to a RAID virtual disk in that same system. If there are two systems involved, a more precise description of the problem and success scenarios would be useful. For example:- When you say this fails on Server 2019, is that the source system running 2019, the destination system hosting the RAID array, or both systems? If it’s only one system running 2019, what OS is the OTHER system running?- When you say Win10 works, same question. Is it just the source system running Win10, destination system hosting RAID array, or both?You also didn’t mention which feature release of Win10 you’re testing with.The more clearly you can describe your environment, the more likely others will be able to help you.Note that the transfer rate quoted is 12 Gb (gigaBITS), not 12 GB (gigaBYTES) as you wrote. 12 Gb = 1.5 GB. But that just measures how quickly Reflect can get data from the source. It doesn’t mean it’s able to write it to the destination that quickly. That would be the write speed, which is considerably lower in your screenshot.

Two Systems 
1- workstation ( running Win 10  2004 ) from  ->
via (SMB) to ->
2- Raid Server  ( running Win Server 2019)   this fails  as shown in the diagram

other option
Two Systems
1- workstation ( running Win 10 2004 ) from ->
via (SMB) to ->
2- Raid Server ( running Win 10  is OK )

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, so the destination system is not the exact same system, running Server 2019 in one test and reimaged to run Win10 in the second test.  You've got two different destination systems, and at a minimum it seems the CPU is different.  So what else is different between those two destination systems?  Network interface models/firmware/drivers?  RAID controller models/firmware/drivers?  I don't know if that will be relevant since I'm not sure what causes the "semaphore timeout" error in your log in the first place, but I'm just thinking about possible differences in relevant components.

soniaZ
soniaZ
jphughan - 9 September 2020 5:52 AM
Ok, so the destination system is not the exact same system, running Server 2019 in one test and reimaged to run Win10 in the second test.  You've got two different destination systems, and at a minimum it seems the CPU is different.  So what else is different between those two destination systems?  Network interface models/firmware/drivers?  RAID controller models/firmware/drivers?  I don't know if that will be relevant since I'm not sure what causes the "semaphore timeout" error in your log in the first place, but I'm just thinking about possible differences in relevant components.

Thanks for your input - the question still remain, "as you put it " what causes the "semaphore timeout" error in your log in the first place,-

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I'm pretty sure that's an error throwing by Windows that is just being passed up to Reflect and being displayed by Reflect, not an error specific to Reflect.  I seem to remember seeing that error in non-Reflect contexts.  I can say that often when write errors have been reported when backing up to a network, it's almost always because of network link interruptions, even if they're brief.  Reflect currently does not tolerate network disruptions; it won't go through a pause/retry/resume cycle.  If the link is interrupted even momentarily, then the backup job fails.  And since a Reflect backup generates a lot more network traffic than most other workloads, sometimes network blips can occur during Reflect backups even if the network otherwise seems rock solid during regular usage with much lower average traffic levels.

I realize that was all general guidance, but unfortunately I don't know what the "semaphore timeout" error means specifically, and at the moment I can't research it.  But you might find information about it even outside of the Macrium forums and outside of Reflect scenarios.  Otherwise, hopefully Macrium Support will weigh in here.  If they don't, then you may want to submit a formal support ticket.

soniaZ
soniaZ
jphughan - 9 September 2020 4:46 PM
I'm pretty sure that's an error throwing by Windows that is just being passed up to Reflect and being displayed by Reflect, not an error specific to Reflect.  I seem to remember seeing that error in non-Reflect contexts.  I can say that often when write errors have been reported when backing up to a network, it's almost always because of network link interruptions, even if they're brief.  Reflect currently does not tolerate network disruptions; it won't go through a pause/retry/resume cycle.  If the link is interrupted even momentarily, then the backup job fails.  And since a Reflect backup generates a lot more network traffic than most other workloads, sometimes network blips can occur during Reflect backups even if the network otherwise seems rock solid during regular usage with much lower average traffic levels.

I realize that was all general guidance, but unfortunately I don't know what the "semaphore timeout" error means specifically, and at the moment I can't research it.  But you might find information about it even outside of the Macrium forums and outside of Reflect scenarios.  Otherwise, hopefully Macrium Support will weigh in here.  If they don't, then you may want to submit a formal support ticket.

Thanks for your help and information - we'll stay posted 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search