Understanding Macrium Image Guardian Protection

Author
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have MIG enabled in MR Other Tasks. Accordingly, I see my 2 external drives (both NTFS) show the MIG protection logo. Only one of these external drives holds Macrium files (mrbak & mrimg). The other drive holds data only.

Perusing the MR display of my internal hard drives 6 partitions (5 of them are NTFS), I see that MIG can be enabled on any of these 5 NTFS partitions through the Action menu but is currently disabled.

1. It appears external drives do not need Reflect files on them for MIG to show protection. On these drives, is MIG just in a “standby” mode in case any backup/image files are stored there at some point?

2. In terms of the internal drive partitions having the ability to “Enable Image Guardian” protection through the Actions drop-down menu, does that mean it would be prudent (or at least possible) to store images/backups on a NTFS partition on this disk?

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
1. Correct, having the option to enable Image Guardian, or even having Image Guardian enabled, does not necessarily mean that any Reflect backups currently reside on the partition in question.  Reflect doesn't scan the entire partition looking for backups on it before enabling itself or giving you the option to do so.  That would be rather time-consuming, and I'm not sure what the value would be.  Instead, it just allows you to set protection on or off, whether it's needed at this particular moment or not.

2. Here again, the fact that Image Guardian is or can be enabled on a partition residing on an internal drive doesn't imply that storing images there would be a best practice.  Reflect just gives you the option to enable Image Guardian on any local NTFS volume; it doesn't communicate "recommendations" through offering that capability.  As it happens, I have a Data partition on my internal drive, and I store Reflect backups of my OS partitions on it -- but I'm also using a Reflect-generated PowerShell script that has the Directory Synchronization option enabled, so after the backup is written to my internal drive, it gets replicated to my external drive.  My reason for doing it this way is mostly so that if I ever need to restore my OS after a non-catastrophic issue, it will likely be faster restoring from a backup residing on my internal NVMe SSD than my external USB 3.0 HDD.  And second, this method allows my backups to run even if I'm on the road without my external hard drive (although the replication portion would of course fail in that scenario).

Edited 7 September 2020 4:20 PM by jphughan
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
jphughan - 7 September 2020 4:17 PM
1. Correct, Image Guardian being enabled doesn't necessarily mean that any Reflect backups currently reside on it.  Reflect doesn't scan the entire drive looking for backups on it before presenting you the option to enable or disable protection.  That would be rather time-consuming.  Instead it just allows you to have it on or off, whether it's needed at this particular moment or not.  It's a bit like anti-virus allowing you to have protection enabled on a system even though it doesn't currently have any malware on it. Smile

2. Here again, the fact that Image Guardian is or can be enabled on a partition residing on an internal drive doesn't imply that storing images there would be a best practice.  As it happens, I have a Data partition on my internal drive, and I store Reflect backups of my OS partitions on it -- but I'm also using a Reflect-generated PowerShell script that has the Directory Synchronization option enabled, so after the backup is written to my internal drive, it gets replicated to my external drive.  My reason for doing it this way is mostly so that if I ever need to restore my OS after a non-catastrophic issue, it will likely be faster restoring from a backup residing on my internal NVMe SSD than my external USB 3.0 HDD.  And second, this method allows my backups to run even if I'm on the road without my external hard drive (although the replication portion would of course fail in that scenario).

Okay.. I understand that better now.  Sounds like you've got a well thought out game plan if things go south!!

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore