More Guardian control

Author
CodeWarrior
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I would like a Guardian 'Trusted Programs' list to exclude protection.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
As a general suggestion, when making enhancement requests, I've found it's helpful to give some background about your use case that's driving the request.  As you can see on this forum, there are lots of enhancement requests that get submitted, and Macrium doesn't have unlimited engineering resources, so it can be helpful to make a case for why your request in particular should be considered that goes beyond, "I'm one person who wants this."  And sometimes providing some background about what you're trying to achieve allows others to suggest solutions that can be achieved today, without waiting on Macrium to (potentially) give you what you originally asked for.

But this particular request would have to be implemented carefully to avoid creating some significant security holes.  For example, if the whitelist was just a registry item, then malware could potentially whitelist itself.  And if the whitelist was just based on a file path, then malware could replace the actual file at that path with a malicious file of the same name and at the same path to gain "whitelist" status by virtue of that entry.  A safe whitelist implementation would have to maintain "fingerprint" data about the actual whitelisted application, although that can pose its own challenges if you ever update that application, which of course alters the application file from its state when you originally whitelisted it -- and distinguishing benign application updates from malicious modifications can be tricky.

I remember another post of yours recently where you said that switching from XCopy to Robocopy resolved the issue you reported.  What are you trying to do now that you can't seem to achieve without this user-customizable trusted application list?

CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Once a month I replace my .mrimg files on my cloud backup.
MIG will not let me do this. I have to rename the files.

This is not a big problem it is just fiddly.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
How does your cloud backup work?  Image Guardian protection only applies to data residing on local NTFS volumes.  Do you have a local sync folder for your cloud backup?  If so, do you know that you have the option to disable Image Guardian on a per-volume basis?  If you already have another set of backups elsewhere protected by Image Guardian, then disabling Image Guardian on your cloud-synced backups might be a better solution for you overall, particularly given that the cloud backups already benefit from the protection of being synced to the cloud, where many cloud providers offer the ability to recover deleted files or roll back to previous versions, the latter of which could be used to recover from an incident where malware encrypted your backups.

CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
jphughan - 6 September 2020 12:26 AM
How does your cloud backup work?  Image Guardian protection only applies to data residing on local NTFS volumes.  Do you have a local sync folder for your cloud backup?  If so, do you know that you have the option to disable Image Guardian on a per-volume basis?  If you already have another set of backups elsewhere protected by Image Guardian, then disabling Image Guardian on your cloud-synced backups might be a better solution for you overall, particularly given that the cloud backups already benefit from the protection of being synced to the cloud, where many cloud providers offer the ability to recover deleted files or roll back to previous versions, the latter of which could be used to recover from an incident where malware encrypted your backups.

I did not realize you could turn off MIG on a volume. This should solve my problem.
Thanks a ton for the quick and helpful response. I am a new user of MR.  
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad to help, and that you’ve got a solution you don’t have to wish and wait for. Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search