Cloning a HDD went to 100% and hung without the popup message saying it was done

Cloning a HDD went to 100% and hung without the popup message saying...
Author
Dagar7
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
MR vs 7.2.5107, cloning a SATA 500 GB HDD to an external 500 GB HDD via USB 3 on Windows 10 vs 2004, The clone seemed to be copying normally, progress bars got to 100% and it then hung the computer/froze Windows. The popup message saying clone completed in so much time never came up. After the first problem, I tested the target WD Black 500 GB HDD using their Data Lifeguard utility, including running the Quick Test. I also checked it with Crystal Disk Info and the drive looks good. I tried to do the clone again, but to a different external 500 GB HDD via USB 3 and I had the same problem with the progress bars going to 100% and then the computer freezing. Since it did indicate completing to 100% on the progress bars, I stopped trying and am hoping the copy is actually OK. When cloning, I always exit Malwarebytes and pause protection on Kaspersky Total Security. Computer is a home built AMD B450 Aorus Pro WiFi Gigabyte Motherboard with Ryzen 5 2400G CPU and 16 GB memory and has been used for cloning drives many times in the past.
I attached a Nirsoft AppCrashView report for what it is worth, but it doesn't mention Macrium.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Try performing the clone operation within the bootable Rescue Media environment to see if that behavior occurs there.  That environment will remove the influence of other applications from the equation.

Dagar7
Dagar7
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
jphughan - 4 September 2020 8:51 PM
Try performing the clone operation within the bootable Rescue Media environment to see if that behavior occurs there.  That environment will remove the influence of other applications from the equation.

Thanks for the reply. I have never used the bootable Macrium media, but will make one and give it a try when I get a chance in a couple of days.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
You should always have some kind of Rescue media on hand.  For those times when Windows won't boot.  If you ever encounter that, you'll be grateful you've got Rescue media.  So, once you make this disc/flash drive, keep it handy.  Just in case.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search