Error code 9

Author
CodeWarrior
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Doing a full system disk backup it fails with a popup nastygram

'Unknown Error Error code = 9'

I looked in the VSS log but did not see anything that looked like an error.

I am a new user switching from Acronis True Image to MacriumReflect. Windows 10 64bit

CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)New Member (41 reputation)
CodeWarrior - 2 September 2020 8:58 PM

I am a new user switching from Acronis True Image to MacriumReflect. Windows 10 64bit

Somehow I put this in Disk Cloning instead of Disk Imaging
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
CodeWarrior - 2 September 2020 9:07 PM

What version of Reflect are you running (look in the upper left corner)?  The latest version is 7.2.5107.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
capair45 - 2 September 2020 9:24 PM

What version of Reflect are you running (look in the upper left corner)?  The latest version is 7.2.5107.

Running 7.2.5107
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
CodeWarrior - 2 September 2020 9:52 PM
capair45 - 2 September 2020 9:24 PM

Running 7.2.5107

I know there were problems with this error in version 6 but that was supposedly fixed in version 7.  I thought you might have been using an earlier version.  Someone else may have advice.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
The error capair45 refers to was triggered by some Windows 10 release and prompted Macrium to update Reflect V6 to work around it.  V7 had already been updated prior to that Windows 10 release becoming public.

Which partition is Reflect trying to image when that error is thrown?  If it's the actual Windows partition, try running CHKDSK /R (not /F) on it.  If it's a hidden partition, you'll need to assign that a drive letter in order to run CHKDSK on it, but I'd still suggest running that with the /R switch.  Note that since /R includes a surface scan, it can take quite a while.

CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
jphughan - 2 September 2020 10:11 PM
The error capair45 refers to was triggered by some Windows 10 release and prompted Macrium to update Reflect V6 to work around it.  V7 had already been updated prior to that Windows 10 release becoming public.

Which partition is Reflect trying to image when that error is thrown?  If it's the actual Windows partition, try running CHKDSK /R (not /F) on it.  If it's a hidden partition, you'll need to assign that a drive letter in order to run CHKDSK on it, but I'd still suggest running that with the /R switch.  Note that since /R includes a surface scan, it can take quite a while.

I ran CHKDSK /R it did not seem to find errors.
I may have a problem reproducing this failure.
It seems to be triggered by uninstalling some apps.
CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior - 2 September 2020 10:52 PM
jphughan - 2 September 2020 10:11 PM

I ran CHKDSK /R it did not seem to find errors.
I may have a problem reproducing this failure.
It seems to be triggered by uninstalling some apps.
Question:

The backup retains two files.
The names are
name-00-00.mrimg
name-1-00-00.mrimg
I thought the number would increment for each new backup
But when I run the backup, it just replaces the -1 file.
Is this normal ?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
This is one reason it's a good idea to consider keeping the default setting of allowing Reflect to name backups by Image ID rather than providing a custom name.  The two pairs of digits at the end increment for backups within a given set, i.e. a Full and any child Differential or Incremental backups.  A file ending "00-00" will always be a Full backup.  If you were to create a Diff or Inc as a child of that Full, its name would end "01-01", and subsequent backups in the set would be incremented accordingly.  The only case where those two digit pairs would be different from each other would be if you enabled file splitting to have a single backup split across multiple smaller files, typically because you wanted to store files either on an optical disc or on a FAT32 partition that didn't support files larger than 4GB.

If you keep the default naming scheme of a randomly generated Image ID, then backups that are all part of the same set will have the same base ID, with the only difference being the two number pairs at the end, and each new set will have a completely different randomly generated ID.  But if you specify a custom name, the first Full you create will use that name followed by "00-00".  If you run ANOTHER Full and haven't changed that base name, then Reflect will try to use that same pattern again -- but since a file already exists at the target with that name, it will append a 1 to that "base" but BEFORE the "intra-set" numbering.  This can make it rather confusing to figure out which backups belong to which set -- which is again why it's a good idea to let Reflect just use randomly generated IDs for backup sets and apply any descriptive naming you want in the name of the parent folder rather than within the file itself.  Otherwise, you could plan to update that custom set file name before each Full, but that's a bit cumbersome.  But if you choose to keep a custom name without changing it before each Full, you'll end up with what you have.  And making matters worse will be that once that original "Name" set is purged, that original name will become available again, in which case Reflect will use it when you create your next Full.  So for example, if you have Name, Name-1, Name-2, and Name-3, created in that order, and then you delete Name, your next Full will NOT be Name-4.  It will be just Name.

Edited 2 September 2020 11:20 PM by jphughan
CodeWarrior
CodeWarrior
jphughan - 2 September 2020 11:19 PM
This is one reason it's a good idea to consider keeping the default setting of allowing Reflect to name backups by Image ID rather than providing a custom name.  The two pairs of digits at the end increment for backups within a given set, i.e. a Full and any child Differential or Incremental backups.  A file ending "00-00" will always be a Full backup.  If you were to create a Diff or Inc as a child of that Full, its name would end "01-01", and subsequent backups in the set would be incremented accordingly.  The only case where those two digit pairs would be different from each other would be if you enabled file splitting to have a single backup split across multiple smaller files, typically because you wanted to store files either on an optical disc or on a FAT32 partition that didn't support files larger than 4GB.

If you keep the default naming scheme of a randomly generated Image ID, then backups that are all part of the same set will have the same base ID, with the only difference being the two number pairs at the end, and each new set will have a completely different randomly generated ID.  But if you specify a custom name, the first Full you create will use that name followed by "00-00".  If you run ANOTHER Full and haven't changed that base name, then Reflect will try to use that same pattern again -- but since a file already exists at the target with that name, it will append a 1 to that "base" but BEFORE the "intra-set" numbering.  This can make it rather confusing to figure out which backups belong to which set -- which is again why it's a good idea to let Reflect just use randomly generated IDs for backup sets and apply any descriptive naming you want in the name of the parent folder rather than within the file itself.  Otherwise, you could plan to update that custom set file name before each Full, but that's a bit cumbersome.  But if you choose to keep a custom name without changing it before each Full, you'll end up with what you have.  And making matters worse will be that once that original "Name" set is purged, that original name will become available again, in which case Reflect will use it when you create your next Full.  So for example, if you have Name, Name-1, Name-2, and Name-3, created in that order, and then you delete Name, your next Full will NOT be Name-4.  It will be just Name.
I do only full disk backups.

I used my names because I have 2 PCs running MR.
I copy backups from both machines to an external drive and to a cloud backup.
I need a way to know which machine they are for.
I could use the image ID, copy the files to an external drive and rename them.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search