Purge the Oldest Backup

Author
cpatalano
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I apologize if this has been asked or answered previously.
I checked off the option to purge the oldest backup set, which often works fine. Sometimes it purges more recent backup sets instead of the oldest. When this happens, the oldest backup sets remain and the system purges only the recent ones.I think it happens after an update to a new release, although I can't be sure of that.
I run a full backup each day, and switch between two external drives weekly
I have two PCs, both with separate copies of Macrium Reflect installed, and it happens to both of them.
Thank you.
Curt
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
The older backups might not be a "match" for the new backups you're creating now.  For image backups, an existing backup is considered a "match" is if it contains EXACTLY the same partitions that are being backed up by the current job, including size and position on the source disk(s).  Some Windows 10 feature release updates alter your partition map to create more capacity for a larger Recovery partition.  If that happens, backups created after the upgrade will no longer be a "match" to pre-upgrade backups, and therefore, by default, the retention policy will stop acting on those pre-upgrade backups, including the retention policy triggered by low disk space.  The fix for this is to edit your definition file to change the retention policy to apply to ALL backups in the destination folder, not just all MATCHING backups.  But before you do that, make sure that backups created by a given job are stored in a dedicated folder.  If you have multiple unrelated backup jobs all storing their files in the same folder, then this change can cause Job A to purge completely unrelated backups created by Job B.  But once you're confident that won't happen, this setting I'm referring to is found in the dropdown menu directly between the schedule and retention policy settings.

cpatalano
cpatalano
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
jphughan - 25 August 2020 5:44 PM
The older backups might not be a "match" for the new backups you're creating now.  For image backups, an existing backup is considered a "match" is if it contains EXACTLY the same partitions that are being backed up by the current job, including size and position on the source disk(s).  Some Windows 10 feature release updates alter your partition map to create more capacity for a larger Recovery partition.  If that happens, backups created after the upgrade will no longer be a "match" to pre-upgrade backups, and therefore, by default, the retention policy will stop acting on those pre-upgrade backups, including the retention policy triggered by low disk space.  The fix for this is to edit your definition file to change the retention policy to apply to ALL backups in the destination folder, not just all MATCHING backups.  But before you do that, make sure that backups created by a given job are stored in a dedicated folder.  If you have multiple unrelated backup jobs all storing their files in the same folder, then this change can cause Job A to purge completely unrelated backups created by Job B.  But once you're confident that won't happen, this setting I'm referring to is found in the dropdown menu directly between the schedule and retention policy settings.

Thank you so much!! What a wonderful explanation!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search