BSOD at startup

Author
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
For the last few days, I am getting BSOD on my Windows 10 desktop PC.
I entered the Windows help forums and they advised me to get the 'Mini Dump' files, zipped and submit.
I did it as per their advice.
Their observation is that it is Macrium Reflect that causes the issue.
Please see below-attached word file the relevant parts of my interaction with the Microsoft support team.
Please advise.
Dr Abdul Rasheed

Attachments
bluescreenview-x64.rar (0 views, 814 bytes)
Macrium.rtf (1 view, 2.00 MB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
If you're able to get into your Windows environment at all (meaning the BSoD doesn't occur every single time at startup), you can uninstall just the CBT component of Reflect.  Reflect will work completely fine without it.  It's an optional enhancement that can make creating Differential and Incremental backups a bit faster, but it's not essential at all.  If you want to uninstall it at least for now, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change, then select Modify in the wizard that pops up.  Uncheck CBT and proceed through the rest of the wizard, then restart.

The fact that FVEvol.sys is implicated as well is interesting.  That's a Microsoft driver related to BitLocker, so there might be some conflict between CBT and BitLocker.

Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)New Member (43 reputation)
jphughan - 22 August 2020 4:01 AM
If you're able to get into your Windows environment at all (meaning the BSoD doesn't occur every single time at startup), you can uninstall just the CBT component of Reflect.  Reflect will work completely fine without it.  It's an optional enhancement that can make creating Differential and Incremental backups a bit faster, but it's not essential at all.  If you want to uninstall it at least for now, go to Programs and Features, select Reflect, click Change, then select Modify in the wizard that pops up.  Uncheck CBT and proceed through the rest of the wizard, then restart.

The fact that FVEvol.sys is implicated as well is interesting.  That's a Microsoft driver related to BitLocker, so there might be some conflict between CBT and BitLocker.

Thank you very much. I will try that.
Just now I was trying to install Macrium ViBoot. Please see the attached file.
Shall I uninstall Macrium Reflect complete > Restart Windows >Re-install Macrium?
I had used ViBoot before. It was quite useful. Nowadays it just did not work. I tried to re-install ViBoot. And this was the result..
Dr Abdul Rasheed
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
There's no file attached to your post.  But that isn't a viBoot installation error.  That's a Hyper-V error, and an error creating a production checkpoint isn't necessarily unique to VMs generated by viBoot.  Do you have any other VMs created normally within Hyper-V to test with?  You can certainly try uninstalling Reflect entirely and reinstalling it (without CBT), since the uninstaller defaults to KEEPING things you'd want to retain if you plan to reinstall, such as settings, logs, scheduled tasks, etc.  But that error isn't necessarily related to viBoot.

Edited 22 August 2020 4:17 AM by jphughan
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Thank you once again,
I think I will remove Mcrium completely and go for a reinstall with Macriium ViBoot as well..
I will remove all settings.
If I remove all the settings will it ever be any hindrance for a re-imaging of 'Windows' or other 'drives' that I have already created?
I am waiting for a response from you.
with regards
Dr Abdul Rasheed
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
No, but you’ll have to configure your settings again. I don’t really see a reason NOT to keep your settings at this point though, so you might want to save yourself that effort.
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed - 22 August 2020 4:13 AM
jphughan - 22 August 2020 4:01 AM

Thank you very much. I will try that.
Just now I was trying to install Macrium ViBoot. Please see the attached file.
Shall I uninstall Macrium Reflect complete > Restart Windows >Re-install Macrium?
I had used ViBoot before. It was quite useful. Nowadays it just did not work. I tried to re-install ViBoot. And this was the result..
Dr Abdul Rasheed

attached file, I meant only the included jpeg picture

Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
jphughan - 22 August 2020 4:27 AM
No, but you’ll have to configure your settings again. I don’t really see a reason NOT to keep your settings at this point though, so you might want to save yourself that effort.

Thank you and let me try uninstalling.
Hope those old images will still work fine
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
Dr Abdul Rasheed Rasheed
I am sorry to interrupt you once again. 
Before uninstalling and re-installing Macrium I decided to have one more Image of Windows.
But as I was about to select the drives to backup I could see that the main system hard drive which is a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD- replicated with the same sized partitions. This was not there until I saved my previous system Image. 
But I have to admit that I had just attempted a viBoot install.
Will be the problem?
Will this 'duplicate hard drive' disappear?
with regards
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
I'm not sure where that came from.  I tried mounting one of my backups for browsing, but that did NOT cause the mounted backup to appear as another disk in Disk Management.  And a virtual disk file that is attached to a VM should not appear in Disk Management within the host.  And even when I tried mounting a VHDX file associated with one of my shut down VMs on my host system, it did appear in Disk Management, but the disk icon was a different color, which isn't the case in your screenshot.  So I'm not sure what that additional disk is.  If you right-click the "Disk 5" square to the left of the partition map and select Properties, what device name appears at the top of the dialog box that appears?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search