Blu-ray Support would be valued feature

Author
AlphaOne
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Blu-ray is as far as I know the most durable storage media.

Wouldn't this be a natural feature for imaging software?

Incidentally, I've been using Macrium Reflect 6 for several months and don't think I could live without it now.
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)
Not sure what you are saying.  Do you think that Reflect cannot write to BluRay drives?  If so, you are incorrect. I backup to a BluRay drive directly from Reflect.  No problems.

AlphaOne
AlphaOne
New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)New Member (12 reputation)
I was indeed under the impression that MR v6 did not write to Blu-ray; maybe outdated information, or even never true.

Thank you for the correction. This is significant good news for me.
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)Expert (809 reputation)
I should add some detail.  I used Win 7 64 bit. The Blu-ray disk is a rewriteable which is formatted.
AlphaOne
AlphaOne
I received this from Stephen at Macrium Support this morning:

"Reflect V6 supports writing to BluRay discs on Windows 7 and later. They are treated like all other optical media. ..."

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
Maybe you had heard that the Rescue Media wizard doesn't support writing to Blu-Ray.  I think that's the only Reflect feature that doesn't natively support Blu-Ray as long as the OS supports it.

Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Using a BluRay disk for rescue media would be a big waste of money considering that the basic rescue environment will fit on a CD (or DVD) which are MUCH less expensive.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)Master (1.6K reputation)
What I do is I image a DVD+RW of the Rescue Media created by the wizard and inject Reflect backups into that image.  Then burn that image to Blu-Ray.  That way I can fit a backup that requires a Blu-Ray disc for the whole image and I get the convenience of having the bootable recovery environment on the disc.  It serves as an extra layer of redundancy for having something to run the Recovery environment.

Dreamer2004
Dreamer2004
Talented Member
Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)Talented Member (173 reputation)
I would never use an optical medium for saving valuable data. Once I was a fan of DVD RAM ... But that has changed.. It's just too SLOW!

Edited 28 September 2015 11:16 PM by Dreamer2004
dbminter
dbminter
Master
DVD-RAM was only useful because Panasonic DVD recorders forced it on the users.  It's the only reason I have a few discs.  Optical discs are good for having yet another redundancy.  Plus, it serves as a recovery environment methodology.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search