Invalid Handle Error

Author
mikensam
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,

I have a desktop machine running Win10 that is on a 640gb mech drive and I want to replace it with a 256gb SSD. Not much data on the original disk around 50gb, the image size is 22gb after compression.

The problem im having is when I load up the recovery media, i can select the image source and select the new SSD and start the process off fine.

It runs the TRIM command and starts to process the image recovery but it gets stuck there and after sometime comes up with an invalid handle error.

The weird thing is, if i put an old 500gb mech drive i have here lying around and try to restore the same image using the same process it works fine.

The new SSD is also fine as ive booted it up in another machine and formatted it to NTFS and copied some files to it and from it, CrystalDiskInfo also shows the drive as good.

I'm not sure whether i have a Macrium or an SSD issue and if i try to RMA the SSD they are just going to run similar tools to CrystalDisk and come back to me saying its working so im looking for a little help.

Thanks
Mike
Edited 14 August 2020 7:30 PM by mikensam
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Invalid handle sounds like an error trying to access the image file itself. Where is this image file located? Any strange characters in the file name or any folders along the way in the overall path? If your system allows you to have the outgoing HDD and the new SSD connected simultaneously, you could perform a clone instead of an two-step image backup and restore process.

Can you post a screenshot of the error? Click the camera in the Rescue Media taskbar and choose where to save the full screen screenshot.
Edited 14 August 2020 10:44 PM by jphughan
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Is this SSD going to be the bootable drive?  If not, have you tried the restore command from Reflect running in Windows instead of the Rescue media?  Do you get the same invalid handle error?

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search