Rescue boot menu Windows RE: unable to access any network share.

Author
Ruud Uphoff
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
Group: Forum Members

I tried using the recommended version and before trust it, I of course test it. Ho lucky because is it does not work! I am unable to access any network share. Mapping a share always returns this error: 

A specified logon session does not exist. It may have been terminated.

Not a real problem for me, as I can use the Windows PE 10 version. But in case of real disaster, there was no way to restore my system if I did not check this before.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
If PE 10 works and you don’t care about WiFi support in Rescue (which requires WinRE) or having to cache a 1GB PE 10 package, then I can’t think of a reason to switch anyway. But if you want to troubleshoot, my first question is whether you have network connectivity at all under WinRE, which you can test by opening Command Prompt in the taskbar and attempting to ping something.
Ruud Uphoff
Ruud Uphoff
New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)New Member (18 reputation)
jphughan - 6 August 2020 12:09 PM
If PE 10 works and you don’t care about WiFi support in Rescue (which requires WinRE) or having to cache a 1GB PE 10 package, then I can’t think of a reason to switch anyway. But if you want to troubleshoot, my first question is whether you have network connectivity at all under WinRE, which you can test by opening Command Prompt in the taskbar and attempting to ping something.

Yes, let's investigate Microsoft. In the future i would be glad with WiFi support, but for now don't hurry. :-)

The major problem is simple. Windows RE is unable to access shares on a non windows system. In my case a Western Digital NAS "Mybooklive". Thus for now end of Windows RE

But there are also other issues:
- accessing a share with username and password does not work if the account is a Microsoft account, You must use the e-mail address of that MS account.
- accessing a share with a non-ms account, did not work. Next I tried from the prompt:

NET USE Z: \\COMPUTER\SHARE /USER:name password
Result is the same error message 1312. But next more tricky:

NET USE Z: \\COMPUTER\SHARE
Result: asks for the user name and finally for the password.
that worked!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Try NET USE Z: \\COMPUTER\SHARE /USER:name *

The * means “prompt for password”, but that syntax would (or should) allow you to still specify the user on the command line.
ddk
ddk
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Ruud Uphoff - 6 August 2020 7:05 AM

I tried using the recommended version and before trust it, I of course test it. Ho lucky because is it does not work! I am unable to access any network share. Mapping a share always returns this error: 

A specified logon session does not exist. It may have been terminated.

Not a real problem for me, as I can use the Windows PE 10 version. But in case of real disaster, there was no way to restore my system if I did not check this before.

I got this trying to map a network drive to a Windows PC share from within the Windows RE 10 boot environment.
I found I had to logon using PC\Username rather than just Username.  I saw on other posts to use .\Username, but that didn't work for me.

Edited 11 May 2021 11:15 PM by ddk
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search