Cloning Process- Clone from USB cable then Install?

Author
therealhendrix
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I have an internal data HDD I want to replace with a new SSD. My plan is to use a Sata to USB cable to clone the drive, then open the laptop and install the SSD. Is it that simple? I don't need to install the empty new drive first or anything for it to be recognized by my OS, correct?

The old HDD and new SSD are just secondary data drives and don't have my OS on it.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
I don't understand why you're removing the old drive first and then cloning it while it's connected externally.  Why not make an image of the drive's contents while it's still connected internally and save yourself the step of connecting it externally to image it?

You may want to consider installing the empty new drive first PRECISELY to see if your OS discovers it.  If you restore the image you made of the old HDD to the new SSD before inserting it and you then discover your OS doesn't recognize it's been connected, then, if you really can't get the drive recognized, you've wasted time doing the restore for no good reason.

therealhendrix
therealhendrix
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
dbminter - 2 August 2020 6:42 PM
I don't understand why you're removing the old drive first and then cloning it while it's connected externally.  Why not make an image of the drive's contents while it's still connected internally and save yourself the step of connecting it externally to image it?

You may want to consider installing the empty new drive first PRECISELY to see if your OS discovers it.  If you restore the image you made of the old HDD to the new SSD before inserting it and you then discover your OS doesn't recognize it's been connected, then, if you really can't get the drive recognized, you've wasted time doing the restore for no good reason.

I'm not removing the old drive first then cloning it.

I'm going to connect the new drive via SATA to USB and clone my old drive (in the laptop)to the new one (connected externally via usb). Then take the old one out and install the new one.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Yes, it's that simple. Smile

therealhendrix
therealhendrix
jphughan - 2 August 2020 8:00 PM
Yes, it's that simple. Smile

Will the drive letter be the same? I'm wondering how all my programs and games from my primary drive will recognize the new drive. I know the contents will be the same but will I need to edit the drive letter or point my program shortcuts to the new drive?

For example I have a program on my OS drive that opens a folder with the shortcut on the old data drive like E:/Program/Data/ExampleFile. Will all my programs still read the new drive just as it did the old one, or will I have to change some things to get my programs working correctly
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Once you disconnect the old one, you can assign the new drive the letter that was used by the old one.  The first time you start your PC with only the new drive connected, if it doesn't automatically get assigned the old drive's letter, then anything configured for automatic startup will break.  But just assign the new drive the old letter and restart your PC, and from there you'll be good.

Edited 2 August 2020 10:08 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search