How save a particular incremental in case I want to restore sometime in the future.

How save a particular incremental in case I want to restore sometime...
Author
phrab
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
On 7/11/20, I upgraded Windows 10 from version 1909 to 1204.  While some of it's problems have been solved, I'm debating about restoring the prior version using Reflect, but don't want to do it yet.

Currently I  have 2 external drives & do a full backup, followed by 7 incrementals on each.  Every week, I switch which external drive is active.  After the 7 incrementals, Reflect consolidates the oldest incremental.  I have the full backup from 7/24/20 & the incrementals from 7/8/20 thru 7/10/20.  (I had the computer shut off for a week while I was gone, so the incrementals skip after 7/10/20 to 7/18/20.

I would like to save the full backup that contains 7/10/20 incremental & just have Reflect start a new full & set of incrementals.  I'm not sure how to do that...i.e. won't Reflect just create an incremental & start consolidating old ones into the full?  If I am able to create a new chain on say, external Drive E, will I still be able to keep the chain on Drive D?

Thank you in advance!

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
You can create a new Full manually by right-clicking your definition file and selecting Run Now > Full, and after that, future Incrementals will be created as children of that Full. But the previous Full and its Incrementals will still be subject to your retention policy, so if you don't do anything beyond that, you'll lose the Incrementals of the previous Full as you create new Incrementals.

If you start creating backups on a completely different drive, then yes the backups on the original drive will be left alone, but if you don't do anything special about the backup(s) you want to preserve, then as soon as you start sending backups to the original drive again, the retention policy will start purging the older backups.

If you want to keep a particular backup state long-term, i.e. not have it get purged by your retention policy, I would suggest the following:
  1. Copy your Full and its child Incrementals up to and including the one containing the 7/10 state you want to preserve into a different folder.  A subfolder of your backup destination folder is fine.
  2. If you only want to preserve the 7/10 backup state, you can reduce the storage requirements of this long-term retention by using the Consolidate.exe application, found in the Reflect application directory, to create a Synthetic Full that will be a Full backup matching your 7/10 state.  To do this, open the application, select your Full backup as the "From" backup, and your 7/10 backup as the "To" backup.  When that operation completes, you'll be left with just a single Full containing your 7/10 backup state.
  3. Keep that backup in that alternate location until you're ready to delete it.
  4. Allow your regular backups to proceed as normal.

Edited 1 August 2020 2:49 AM by jphughan
phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)Proficient Member (252 reputation)
jphughan - 1 August 2020 2:41 AM
You can create a new Full manually by right-clicking your definition file and selecting Run Now > Full, and after that, future Incrementals will be created as children of that Full. But the previous Full and its Incrementals will still be subject to your retention policy, so if you don't do anything beyond that, you'll lose the Incrementals of the previous Full as you create new Incrementals.

If you start creating backups on a completely different drive, then yes the backups on the original drive will be left alone, but if you don't do anything special about the backup(s) you want to preserve, then as soon as you start sending backups to the original drive again, the retention policy will start purging the older backups.

If you want to keep a particular backup state long-term, i.e. not have it get purged by your retention policy, I would suggest the following:
  1. Copy your Full and its child Incrementals up to and including the one containing the 7/10 state you want to preserve into a different folder.  A subfolder of your backup destination folder is fine.
  2. If you only want to preserve the 7/10 backup state, you can reduce the storage requirements of this long-term retention by using the Consolidate.exe application, found in the Reflect application directory, to create a Synthetic Full that will be a Full backup matching your 7/10 state.  To do this, open the application, select your Full backup as the "From" backup, and your 7/10 backup as the "To" backup.  When that operation completes, you'll be left with just a single Full containing your 7/10 backup state.
  3. Keep that backup in that alternate location until you're ready to delete it.
  4. Allow your regular backups to proceed as normal.

Thank you for your advice.  I think I did it correctly.
1.  I consolidated from the full to the 7/10 incremental.  (I forgot to move everything to a new subfolder first).
2.  I created a new subfolder.
3.  When I tried to move the consolidated full, Macrium Image Guardian prevented it.
      A,  I disabled MIG & moved the consolidated full backup to a subfolder.
      B.  I re-enabled MIG.
4.  I left the other incrementals where they were, but I think I should have moved them to the subfolder, as they are now orphans.

Is it too late too move them to the subfolder or should I just delete them?

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Either move them or delete them. It doesn’t make sense to leave them orphaned.
phrab
phrab
Proficient Member
Thank you again. You’ve helped me numerous times & I really appreciate it!

Phil
Windows 10 Pro
Windows XP- SP-3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Happy to! Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search