Slow Image Backups on I7 Laptop

Author
bikemanI7
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello all

Really slow Image backups on my HP Omen Laptop with Only USB 3 ports on it, and the backup is always to an External usb 3.0 Seagate Barracuda 8tb in an external enclosure,  takes anywhere from 3-5 hours

Using Macrium Reflect Home latest version

Any settings i should turn off, or anything? gonna work on it tomorrow, and also do my weekly incremental backup on Desktop as well

((Full one doing on Laptop as didn't do my full one as yet for this month))

Machines do use Windows Defender for antivirus protection, and Malwarebytes Free

Edited 31 July 2020 11:59 PM by bikemanI7
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
How large is the resulting file? What is the transfer rate shown during the backup? Does the disk benchmark as expected using something like CrystalDiskMark? And how do those results compare to the transfer rates in Reflect’s own benchmark under Backup menu > Disk Write Speed? The default settings wouldn’t bottleneck transfer speeds on a reasonably modern system.
Edited 1 August 2020 4:38 AM by jphughan
bikemanI7
bikemanI7
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
jphughan - 1 August 2020 4:38 AM
How large is the resulting file? What is the transfer rate shown during the backup? Does the disk benchmark as expected using something like CrystalDiskMark? And how do those results compare to the transfer rates in Reflect’s own benchmark under Backup menu > Disk Write Speed? The default settings wouldn’t bottleneck transfer speeds on a reasonably modern system.

Theres are the results of the 2 programs,  i'll have to see later if the drive is faster on the Desktop or not, or if i get the same results.    Drive in the enclosure is a Seagate 8TB Drive, enclosure is USB 3.0, and all ports on Laptop are USB 3.0 as well.       No wonder it takes 5 hours on Laptop to write the backup image

The Resulting File size is 387GB

Will get it sorted though, just will take time

Edited 1 August 2020 4:50 PM by bikemanI7
bikemanI7
bikemanI7

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
You haven't told us how big the SOURCE partition (how much is used) is...

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Typically the bottleneck of an imaging operation is the write speed of the destination, not the read speed of the source, in which case the size of the image file written to the destination is more important than the amount of source data being backed up — unless CPU overhead of compression and encryption becomes a bottleneck, but that seems unlikely for a modern system.

As to the results, note that Reflect is showing megaBITS per second, while CrystalDiskMark shows megaBYTES. The conversion is to divide the former by 8 to get the latter. So your Reflect and CrystalDiskMark benchmarks aren’t TOO far apart (HDD results can be skewed depending on whether the read test was conducted on data located at the outer or inner area of the platters), but they’re a bit low for USB 3.0. I have a portable USB 3.0 drive that contains a 2.5” drive and I can get a pretty consistent 100 MB/s rate, give or take. Still, even taking the lowest speed shown in Reflect, 387 GB written at approximately 60 MB/s should take about 1 hour 45 minutes, not 5 hours.

Any chance the source drive may be having problems? If certain areas of the source drive incur high error rates due to surface defects or just a failing drive, that can drastically reduce imaging speed even if only for a portion of the overall operation.
bikemanI7
bikemanI7
Froggie - 1 August 2020 4:55 PM
You haven't told us how big the SOURCE partition (how much is used) is...

Source drive is Used 409GB, Free 522gb

Unknown if the source drive having problems or not,  Laptop seems to run fine for most tasks,  so no idea if it's having issues,  i can run some checks on it, that will take a while,  and see if there is any issues if need be
Checking Source Drive with HD Tune Error scan,  so far all green, no damaged blocks so far found
Boot drive is 128GB Samsung M.2 SSD,  Most programs installed on D:\ Data drive, as not much room on the M.2,  eventually when i can get the bottom cover off the Laptop properly, then will upgrade the M.2 boot drive,  one issue might be a stripped screw, if it ends up being too big a job for me, then will have shop take care of it, and upgrade the M.2

Edited 1 August 2020 8:48 PM by bikemanI7
bikemanI7
bikemanI7
Update:

After spending hours running error checking scans,  Windows Chkdsk on Source drive,  Full hard drive error scan with HD Tune,  Extended Sector scan with Western Digital Drive Diagnostics on Source drive,   Backup time remaining now showing 1 hour and 49 minutes,  versus last months 6 hours,49minutes.      Whatever i did eariler seems to have solved the issue i was having,  not sure exactly what solved it though

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search