Rescue Media USB Size.

Author
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@jphughan

Hi, I noticed on another thread that you said that Rescue Media could be stored on 1GB.  Can you please advise me:

I have created two Rescue Media Sticks, they will both boot from my PC:  USB stick in the slot, power on the PC, Push F8 Key to enter the BIOS and select the USB stick and after a short while I'm In MR. Excellent.

After reading about sizes I checked the sizes of my two memory sticks:

One of them certainly is smaller than 1GB but the other one 7.9GB

They both seem to work!

I've created a calendar note to check each of the USB sticks every two months, odd months one stick, even months the other and will obviously update both if advised to do by MR.

Another matter, when I place the USB Stick containing the smaller content I get an error message staying there is a problem with this drive and to scan it now.  Thus far I haven't do so.

It's interesting to note that the USB with the least content  contains an additional (yellow) folder named Boot.

Any advise would be most welcome.  Thank you

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
Edited 30 July 2020 12:25 PM by Humpty_Numpty
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Well your first flash drive has a file called EmergencyDisk.iso on it, which is almost 600 MB on its own.  The rest of the consumption must be within one or more of those folders, so you'd have to check their sizes to figure out what's going on.  Note that unless Rescue Media Builder determines that formatting your flash drive before using it for Rescue Media is necessary, it will simply copy Rescue Media files onto the flash drive.  It will not delete anything else that already exists there (except for existing Rescue Media files that would be overwritten).  So if you have other content on your flash drive, it will stay there.  That isn't necessarily a problem, but it can cause the outcome you're seeing.

Or if you want to use that flash drive solely for Rescue Media and aren't especially curious as to what's going on, then just delete everything that's currently on it and rebuild it in Rescue Media Builder.

Edited 30 July 2020 12:58 PM by jphughan
Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)Talented Member (150 reputation)
Thanks, I'll delete everything, format FAT 32 and rebuild.

Thanks once again.

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
@jphughan  Please:  Following on from the above I created two separate USB Rescue memory sticks with the intention of testing both on alternative months. 

When MR announces that Rescue Memory needs to be rebuilt would it be advisable to wipe the disk, reformat and rebuild or just rebuild over the top? 

Additionally, I'm pretty sure I created the two Rescue Memory sticks in exactly the same manner, however, looking at the two in Disk Management, one of them appears to be partitioned, I don't recall having partitioned a memory stick, something I've never considered doing before.

PS: I like the Snipping Tool.

Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Glad you like Snipping Tool Smile

No need to reformat for every Rescue rebuild. The “rebuild” operation is sort of like recompiling files, but that happens on your system. Then the updated versions of those files just need to be copied to the flash drive. If the flash drive is in some condition that would prevent it from being used for Rescue Media purposes, Reflect should fix that automatically or prompt to allow a reformat if the issue can’t be fixed without doing that.

As to the way the flash drives were set up, Windows doesn’t support creating FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB (even though other applications will do this and Windows will work with larger FAT32 volumes just fine), so if you tell Reflect to build Rescue Media onto a flash drive that doesn’t already have a suitable partition AND has a total capacity greater than 32GB, then Reflect will create a small 1GB partition for Rescue purposes. You could now create an additional partition in that unallocated space to use the rest of the capacity for other purposes if desired, by the way. The lower flash drive drive in your screenshot has a total capacity less than 32GB, in which case I believe Reflect just creates a single partition that uses the entire capacity of the drive. Or maybe it creates a 1GB partition in that case too but you may have already had that FAT32 partition and therefore it just used that? I can’t remember offhand what Reflect does with a sub-32GB flash drive that contains no suitable existing partition, and I can’t test it at the moment.
Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
Thanks very much!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search