Rescue Media USB Size.

Author
Humpty_Numpty
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@jphughan

Hi, I noticed on another thread that you said that Rescue Media could be stored on 1GB.  Can you please advise me:

I have created two Rescue Media Sticks, they will both boot from my PC:  USB stick in the slot, power on the PC, Push F8 Key to enter the BIOS and select the USB stick and after a short while I'm In MR. Excellent.

After reading about sizes I checked the sizes of my two memory sticks:

One of them certainly is smaller than 1GB but the other one 7.9GB

They both seem to work!

I've created a calendar note to check each of the USB sticks every two months, odd months one stick, even months the other and will obviously update both if advised to do by MR.

Another matter, when I place the USB Stick containing the smaller content I get an error message staying there is a problem with this drive and to scan it now.  Thus far I haven't do so.

It's interesting to note that the USB with the least content  contains an additional (yellow) folder named Boot.

Any advise would be most welcome.  Thank you

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
Edited 30 July 2020 12:25 PM by Humpty_Numpty
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Well your first flash drive has a file called EmergencyDisk.iso on it, which is almost 600 MB on its own.  The rest of the consumption must be within one or more of those folders, so you'd have to check their sizes to figure out what's going on.  Note that unless Rescue Media Builder determines that formatting your flash drive before using it for Rescue Media is necessary, it will simply copy Rescue Media files onto the flash drive.  It will not delete anything else that already exists there (except for existing Rescue Media files that would be overwritten).  So if you have other content on your flash drive, it will stay there.  That isn't necessarily a problem, but it can cause the outcome you're seeing.

Or if you want to use that flash drive solely for Rescue Media and aren't especially curious as to what's going on, then just delete everything that's currently on it and rebuild it in Rescue Media Builder.

Edited 30 July 2020 12:58 PM by jphughan
Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)Proficient Member (247 reputation)
Thanks, I'll delete everything, format FAT 32 and rebuild.

Thanks once again.

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Proficient Member
@jphughan  Please:  Following on from the above I created two separate USB Rescue memory sticks with the intention of testing both on alternative months. 

When MR announces that Rescue Memory needs to be rebuilt would it be advisable to wipe the disk, reformat and rebuild or just rebuild over the top? 

Additionally, I'm pretty sure I created the two Rescue Memory sticks in exactly the same manner, however, looking at the two in Disk Management, one of them appears to be partitioned, I don't recall having partitioned a memory stick, something I've never considered doing before.

PS: I like the Snipping Tool.

Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Glad you like Snipping Tool Smile

No need to reformat for every Rescue rebuild. The “rebuild” operation is sort of like recompiling files, but that happens on your system. Then the updated versions of those files just need to be copied to the flash drive. If the flash drive is in some condition that would prevent it from being used for Rescue Media purposes, Reflect should fix that automatically or prompt to allow a reformat if the issue can’t be fixed without doing that.

As to the way the flash drives were set up, Windows doesn’t support creating FAT32 volumes larger than 32GB (even though other applications will do this and Windows will work with larger FAT32 volumes just fine), so if you tell Reflect to build Rescue Media onto a flash drive that doesn’t already have a suitable partition AND has a total capacity greater than 32GB, then Reflect will create a small 1GB partition for Rescue purposes. You could now create an additional partition in that unallocated space to use the rest of the capacity for other purposes if desired, by the way. The lower flash drive drive in your screenshot has a total capacity less than 32GB, in which case I believe Reflect just creates a single partition that uses the entire capacity of the drive. Or maybe it creates a 1GB partition in that case too but you may have already had that FAT32 partition and therefore it just used that? I can’t remember offhand what Reflect does with a sub-32GB flash drive that contains no suitable existing partition, and I can’t test it at the moment.
Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Proficient Member
Thanks very much!

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Proficient Member
@jphughan

Please:

Would it be possible to use one partitioned 128 gb USB Memory Stick to hold Rescue Media on a FAT32 partition and a backup of the operating system on the NTFS partition? The reason I ask is that my external Seagate Backup drive seems to have a mind of its own and doesn't always power up on start up and I fear that it will fail at some point.  The one I have is a reconditioned one, having had to send back my original to be replaced with a scruffy but working drive after only a few  months of use.

Additionally, I read one of your replies to another poster, unfortunately I'm unable to find it, where you advised the poster of the correct terminology to use referring  to drives, volumes etc. Are you able to provide a link to that post?  

Thanks  

Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)
Well, hopefully I am not going to confuse anyone.  

To the OP, you should have at least a 1gb stick, more is OK but if you are just using it for MR rescue then it's wasting all the other space.  You can partition it, but remember that Windows less that Win 10 won't be able to see the second partitions.  I don't think that MR rescue creation will re-partition the stick.  

Personally I have a whole bunch of sticks and USB HDDs I use.  I have Easy2Boot installed on them along with aGFM and I can boot to the rescue media ISO file in both MBR and EFI with it. When it comes time to recreate the rescue media file I just create an ISO file and then copy that ISO file to the Easy2Boot _ISO folder and It's done.  That way I can use the other space on the disk to hold other files, tools and such and even the backup files themselves.  I can boot a whole host of ISO files form the same stick / drive. 
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Rootman - 18 August 2020 11:23 AM
Well, hopefully I am not going to confuse anyone.  

To the OP, you should have at least a 1gb stick, more is OK but if you are just using it for MR rescue then it's wasting all the other space.  You can partition it, but remember that Windows less that Win 10 won't be able to see the second partitions.  I don't think that MR rescue creation will re-partition the stick.  

Personally I have a whole bunch of sticks and USB HDDs I use.  I have Easy2Boot installed on them along with aGFM and I can boot to the rescue media ISO file in both MBR and EFI with it. When it comes time to recreate the rescue media file I just create an ISO file and then copy that ISO file to the Easy2Boot _ISO folder and It's done.  That way I can use the other space on the disk to hold other files, tools and such and even the backup files themselves.  I can boot a whole host of ISO files form the same stick / drive. 

You need at least Win10 1709 to support multi-partition flash drives.  And starting with Reflect 7.2, Rescue Media Builder WILL offer to repartition the target device if it doesn't find a suitable partition already there.

Does your Easy2Boot bootloader work with UEFI Secure Boot enabled?
Edited 18 August 2020 2:11 PM by jphughan
Rootman
Rootman
Talented Member
Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)Talented Member (159 reputation)
jphughan - 18 August 2020 2:10 PM

You need at least Win10 1709 to support multi-partition flash drives.  And starting with Reflect 7.2, Rescue Media Builder WILL offer to repartition the target device if it doesn't find a suitable partition already there.

Does your Easy2Boot bootloader work with UEFI Secure Boot enabled?

Easy2Boot does not, but aGFM does. I forgot about the earliest Win 10 not supporting multiple partitions. I remember how glad I was when I found out it finally did.  About dang time MS!  I have not made a USB MR recovery USB media in years since I just use the ISO file in E2B. 

Easy2Boot has been one of my prized tools since the guy started the project.  It has made my life so much easier.  I have all my drives setup with a 32 GB NTFS partition as a first, on this I installed Easy2Boot. All the payload ISO files are on this partition, I have 29 different ISO files.  Each of the 6 Macrium Reflect Home PCs individual Recovery Media (to be honest, they all seem to work on any of them) and a host of other utilities, Linux distros, Win PE and Windows installation ISOs. I've got 2 Macrium rescue ISOs from Workstation versions for a few PCs at work I run it on too.  

I then have a 32 GB FAT32 second partition , on this I have AGFM (available from the Easy2Boot site), it just copies to the partition.  I wrote a menu to point to the MainMenu folder of my Easy2Boot partition so I get the same ISO files as E2B has as selections.  

The rest of the drives I usually setup a NTFS, most of which I do a VeraCrypt encrypted partition.  I can backup a PC right to the drive.  When I get a MR update I usually create updated media and all it takes is to copy the ISO file to the USB Easy2Boot folder and it's updated.  It does need to be contiguous though, so I have WinContig in a Util folder on the first drive with a script in the root to automatically defrag the _ISO folder when used.  

I've got a few USB HDDs that are larger than 2 TB, for these booting to Easy2Boot will not work as you can't boot to a >2TB drive using MBR.  I've heard about clever ways around it but just don't use them.   I still set them up the same way with Easy2Boot on the first partition in a NTFS volume, it just won't boot from it.  I can still boot to aGFM vie EFI using the sane ISO files in the E2B partition. When absolutely needing a MBR boot I just use a thumb drive or smaller USB HDD to boot from. 

To keep all the drive in sync I use SyncBack Pro .to sync the first 2 partitions to folders on my HDD.  I back up my main stick using SyncBack, then plug in each USB drive in turn and restore the contents of the 1st and second partition back to the other drives. it does require I set each drive to use the exact same drive letters to work. 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search