Image Guardian says it's blocking, but is it?

Author
TTB
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
I run Reflect daily. Image output goes to a NAS. After Reflect completes I manually copy the MRIMG file to an external hard drive that is connected to the PC via USB for offsite storage. At the end of the manual copy operation I get the black popup notification that MIG is blocking a file operation. it took me a while to figure out that the message is being triggered by the copy operation's setting the Archive attribute off in the source file (the file on the NAS) at the conclusion of the copy. In spite of the message, the Archive attribute gets turned off anyway, which is actually what I want. But why am I getting a message that the reset is being blocked when the block isn't actually executing? Is it because the source file is on a NAS? Could it have anything to do with the third-party software (xplorer2) I use for the copy operation?

I tried looking at this KB article, but I can't quite figure it out. I'm not an IT person, I'm just a guy who's trying to keep a small home network backed up. Thanks for any information you can provide.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
If the source files are on a NAS, that popup wouldn’t be triggered by anything being done to the source files. Image Guardian only protects backup files that reside on local NTFS volumes, not files on network shares. (And if the Archive bit is actually being cleared, then that means Image Guardian didn’t block it, in which case that's not the operation it reported blocking. Smile) The log mentions that it blocked access to a file on Harddiskvolume3, which would refer to local storage.  So what’s probably happening is that Image Guardian is active on your TARGET device, since that’s a USB drive. Image Guardian won’t stop you from copying new Reflect backups to a protected volume, but it will prevent any further modifications to those files immediately after they’re created on the volume.

So yes, it's possible that the application you're using is setting off Image Guardian because it's calling an API to open the file for write access for some reason just after copying the file(s).  I remember someone here reporting that Norton anti-virus for some reason tried to open Reflect backups for write access during its full system scans, which caused it to set off Image Guardian.  Also note that if your backup replication mechanism involves syncing purges/deletions from your NAS to your target, i.e. using your Xplorer2 application to delete files on your USB drive that no longer exist on the NAS, Image Guardian WILL prevent that.  If that's a problem for your strategy, then you may need to disable Image Guardian on this USB drive you're using.  You can do that without disabling Image Guardian system-wide, and Image Guardian will remember that it should be disabled on that disk even if you disconnect it and reattach it later.

Edited 27 July 2020 7:12 PM by jphughan
TTB
TTB
New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)New Member (3 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Thank you for that quick and clear explanation. It hadn't occurred to me until now, but next time I'll try using a standard Windows copy instead of going through xplorer2 to see if that's contributing to the issue. Other than the backup  itself being scheduled, I do all the subsequent copying, purging, etc. manually. And now that I've just finally discovered how to disable Image Guardian on the USB drive, Whistling I'll have that as a fallback.

Thanks again.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search