Cloning a 2004 installation to larger drive.

Author
Danskeman
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Version 2004 has changed the default order of UEFI partitions on a new install as

1 - EFI
2 - MSR​
3 - C Drive
4 - Recovery Partition

So now if I decide to install some stuff and later clone to a larger drive, I cannot see how to automatically expand the C drive to fill the drive as the Recovery Part​ition gets in the way.

I can sort it easily enough using tool like Minitool Partition Wizard afterwards but is there  a way to expand the C Drive automatically whilst cloning.

I know I can do it by changing order of partition (putting Recovery before C drive by drag and drop) but that will create later issues as 2004 expects the recovery partition to be after the C drive now and you end up with two recovery partitions (which is why ​2004 order was changed to stop this).​​​​​​​​
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
I don't have the details handy but it's very easy to reassign the Recovery Partition within Windows if you decide to move it.  If you need them, I can dig them up...
Edited 27 July 2020 12:34 PM by Froggie
Danskeman
Danskeman
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)Proficient Member (230 reputation)
Froggie - 27 July 2020 12:33 PM
I don't have the details handy but it's very easy to reassign the Recovery Partition within Windows if you decide to move it.  If you need them, I can dig them up...

I have worked it out how to do it.

You drag and drop 1st three ​partitions, then select extended properties for C drive and change its size, leaving unallocated space after it equivalent to 4th partition size. Then drag and drop final partition.

It is a little clunky but does the job, especially if you had more than one partition after C Drive as you would have to add up sizes.  It would be nice for Reflect to have an option to do this automatically​.​​​
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search