Macrium Image Guardian driver is not running.

Author
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm still trying to fully understand MR so that I should be able to backup and restore almost by instinct.

I've been reading through the PDF user guide and it mentions Macrium Image Guardian, so I thought I'd follow the guide to view its features.  On selecting Other Tasks/Macrium Image Guardian I'm presented with a pop-up box which reads "Macrium Image Guardian Driver is not Running".

I have the Home Edition Paid for version.

Would I benefit from MIG: Single user, home computer?

Is there an easy way to force the driver to run?  There is a file MIGpopup.exe in the Reflect directory.

Alternatively might I be better just leaving things as they are?

Thank you

Butt Spell Chequers Two Khan Make Awe Full Miss Steaks
capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
I believe you would benefit from having image guardian running as it protects your images from unauthorized access (e.g. ransomeware).  With MIG installed only the Reflect software can be used to make changes to the images you've created.  This should prevent the bad guys from accessing your images.

You might want to make sure MIG has been installed.  Go to Settings > APPS and locate Macrium Reflect.  You can choose to modify the installation to include MIG.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender
Malwarebytes Premium 4.2.3

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Image Guardian is definitely worth considering, especially if your only backups (or even your most recent backups) are on a drive that is attached all the time and might therefore be vulnerable to ransomware.  Here is the whole KB article about it.

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)Talented Member (186 reputation)
capair45 - 27 July 2020 11:52 AM
I believe you would benefit from having image guardian running as it protects your images from unauthorized access (e.g. ransomeware).  With MIG installed only the Reflect software can be used to make changes to the images you've created.  This should prevent the bad guys from accessing your images.

You might want to make sure MIG has been installed.  Go to Settings > APPS and locate Macrium Reflect.  You can choose to modify the installation to include MIG.

Thank you very much.  When I reached the custom set up (as shown above) Install Image Guardian was already ticked.  I tried ticking and unticking, that didn't work, then I tried Repair, that didn't work either.  I then unticked Install Image Guardian and rebooted, went to MR proper, Other Tasks, Image Guardian Setting. MR stated MIG was not installed and asked if I'd like to install it which I did and it works.  So Thank you once again for your invaluable help!

One further question if I may, do I just leave the MIG turned on and that's it, no further action required?

Thank you

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
jphughan - 27 July 2020 12:55 PM
Image Guardian is definitely worth considering, especially if your only backups (or even your most recent backups) are on a drive that is attached all the time and might therefore be vulnerable to ransomware.  Here is the whole KB article about it.

Thank you, there's a lot to take in for a numpty like me.

Did I read it correctly that if I were (I'm NOT going to try) to attempt to delete a backup file/set on my external HDD using Windows Explorer MIG would prevent that from happening?

Thank you

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Yes.  If you want to try a safer operation, try renaming it or moving it (not copying).  Those operations would be blocked too.

capair45
capair45
Expert
Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)Expert (721 reputation)
Humpty_Numpty - 27 July 2020 1:27 PM
capair45 - 27 July 2020 11:52 AM

Thank you very much.  When I reached the custom set up (as shown above) Install Image Guardian was already ticked.  I tried ticking and unticking, that didn't work, then I tried Repair, that didn't work either.  I then unticked Install Image Guardian and rebooted, went to MR proper, Other Tasks, Image Guardian Setting. MR stated MIG was not installed and asked if I'd like to install it which I did and it works.  So Thank you once again for your invaluable help!

One further question if I may, do I just leave the MIG turned on and that's it, no further action required?

Thank you

Just leave it on.  No need to disable it.

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

Humpty_Numpty
Humpty_Numpty
Talented Member
jphughan - 27 July 2020 1:39 PM
Yes.  If you want to try a safer operation, try renaming it or moving it (not copying).  Those operations would be blocked too.

One more question please. By enabling MIG is the protection retrospective or is it only future backups that are guarded?

Thank you.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Enabling Image Guardian on a volume will cause all Macrium backup files that exist on that volume to be protected, regardless of when they were created or even where they came from.

capair45
capair45
Expert
Humpty_Numpty - 27 July 2020 5:24 PM
jphughan - 27 July 2020 1:39 PM

One more question please. By enabling MIG is the protection retrospective or is it only future backups that are guarded?

Thank you.

It should protect all images on the disk regardless of when they were made as long as they have one of the following extensions:

Windows 10 Home (20H2)
Macrium Reflect 7.3.5321
Windows Defender

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore