Network disconnected rescue mode

Author
Flam
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
jphughan - 27 July 2020 8:37 PM
Just as a really long shot, what happens if you disconnect and reconnect the network cable after the driver has loaded?  Any change?  And do you see an actual link light active at the port, assuming your Ethernet interface even has one?  Or if not, do you have a link light at the switch port or whatever device is on the other end of that cable?

I dis/re connected as you suggested. No change. No activity light.
When I booted into Windows, the network activity light is blinking as expected.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Ok, then what system model or motherboard model is this Ethernet adapter built into?  And where did you get the drivers that you downloaded?  (Or as another possible workaround, I suppose you could try switching to WinRE as your Rescue Media base WIM.  Normally that wouldn't be ideal if you're running an Insider build, but if WinPE 10 1709 is known not to work properly in this regard, you could always try WinRE to see what happens.  You can always switch back, after all.)

Edited 27 July 2020 9:46 PM by jphughan
Flam
Flam
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 27 July 2020 9:45 PM
Ok, then what system model or motherboard model is this Ethernet adapter built into?  And where did you get the drivers that you downloaded?  (Or as another possible workaround, I suppose you could try switching to WinRE as your Rescue Media base WIM.  Normally that wouldn't be ideal if you're running an Insider build, but if WinPE 10 1709 is known not to work properly in this regard, you could always try WinRE to see what happens.  You can always switch back, after all.)

Motherboard is MSI P55-CD53 (MS-7586).
I got the drivers from the realtek site:
https://realtek-download.com/realtek-pcie-gbe-family-controller/
I tried WinRE last week...
Thanks again for your help!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Ok, well the MSI page for that motherboard doesn't seem to have any drivers past Windows 7.  I don't think that site you found is actually owned and operated by Realtek.  Note that it's not download.realtek.com or realtek.com/download, but rather realtek-download.com.  That's an entirely separate domain name from realtek.com.  I could go register a domain Macrium-Support.com fairly easily and it wouldn't be an actual Macrium website, for example.  The authentic download page for that network adapter appears to be this: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software -- although they rather annoyingly require an email address to send you a download link.  But in fairness, if your motherboard is old enough that its vendor page only offers drivers up to Windows 7, I'd be surprised if having the wrong driver is the issue here.  I would expect Windows PE to have gained native support for that network adapter a while ago.  And if you built WinRE without even including any additional drivers manually and it didn't work either, then that means that whatever OTHER built-in driver was being at that point didn't behave any differently, which means I wouldn't be optimistic that downloading a driver directly from Realtek would resolve this.  Then again, I don't have any other theories as to why your network adapter would work properly in full Windows and show "Media Disconnected" when you rebooted into Windows PE, so maybe the unlikely fixes are worth trying.

Flam
Flam
jphughan - 27 July 2020 10:26 PM
Ok, well the MSI page for that motherboard doesn't seem to have any drivers past Windows 7.  I don't think that site you found is actually owned and operated by Realtek.  Note that it's not download.realtek.com or realtek.com/download, but rather realtek-download.com.  That's an entirely separate domain name from realtek.com.  I could go register a domain Macrium-Support.com fairly easily and it wouldn't be an actual Macrium website, for example.  The authentic download page for that network adapter appears to be this: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/network-interface-controllers-10-100-1000m-gigabit-ethernet-pci-express-software -- although they rather annoyingly require an email address to send you a download link.  But in fairness, if your motherboard is old enough that its vendor page only offers drivers up to Windows 7, I'd be surprised if having the wrong driver is the issue here.  I would expect Windows PE to have gained native support for that network adapter a while ago.  And if you built WinRE without even including any additional drivers manually and it didn't work either, then that means that whatever OTHER built-in driver was being at that point didn't behave any differently, which means I wouldn't be optimistic that downloading a driver directly from Realtek would resolve this.  Then again, I don't have any other theories as to why your network adapter would work properly in full Windows and show "Media Disconnected" when you rebooted into Windows PE, so maybe the unlikely fixes are worth trying.

I noticed the website was not the OEM after you asked me where I got the drivers. I went to the actual realtek site and downloaded the drivers from there. They "seemed" to be the same as the files from that "wrong" site. However, I replaced the drivers in the Boot....network dir. anyway.
Updated the winPE, booted to the rescue environment... No change.
Thanks for your thoroughness and help.
....Back to the drawing board 8-)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Well in that case, unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one.  Please do post back if you ever find a solution though, because this one has definitely gotten me curious.  I've worked in various IT roles for about 15 years now, so I've seen more than my fair share of tech issues -- but I've never seen this!

Flam
Flam
jphughan - 28 July 2020 1:01 AM
Well in that case, unfortunately I'm out of ideas on this one.  Please do post back if you ever find a solution though, because this one has definitely gotten me curious.  I've worked in various IT roles for about 15 years now, so I've seen more than my fair share of tech issues -- but I've never seen this!

Will do.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search