Removable drive shows as local?

Author
MysteryGuy
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi;

I've noticed that recently I'm often having trouble "safely ejecting"  my 5TB external USB drives using the "Safely Remove.../Eject" icon from the taskbar after I make a Macrium reflect backup to it.

(This is on a Windows 10 1909 system 18363.900 using Macrium Reflect 7.2.4971.)

I  usually notice an issue after making a Reflect backup to it when subsequently trying to safely eject it..I get a pop-up saying that it was in use and can't be safely removed. It won't eject no matter how many times I try. I make sure to close the Macrium reflect program first, but that doesn't make it work.

If I haven't backed up to it, it usually safely ejects.

I noticed that the 'Computer Management/Disk Management' program says this is 'Disk 5, basic, online'. I might be wrong, but I was expecting it to say 'removable'.

I have CBT installed, and the CBT tool shows it in the list as 'Local drive: ( I: )' when it's plugged in.

Are removable drives supposed to be listed as 'Local'? If not, could this be caused by Macrium?

I noticed that if the eject fails, the event viewer gets new entries claiming the removal was prevented by Process 4, as well as the Windows defender process. There are also several 'mrcbt' error and informational entries added..

That got me wondering if Windows 10 was misidentifying the drive as not being removable.

Thanks;

Edited 25 July 2020 6:27 PM by MysteryGuy
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Local just means "not a network share".  (And even that can get murky given that iSCSI LUNs would be considered local storage even though you connect to them over the network.)  But local isn't the opposite of removable.  And even removable storage is a class that would include the vast majority of USB flash drives, while hard drives and SSDs (and a small handful of flash drives) would be considered "fixed disk class" storage, even when connected via USB or some other bus that supports hot swapping.  In terms of not being able to eject, someone else recently reported in a July 19 post in this thread that an updated CBT DLL resolved this issue.  So maybe that will be included in an upcoming Reflect update?  Or if you trust Microsoft, apparently safe removal is supposed to be unnecessary starting with Win10 1809 unless you specifically change settings to make it necessary.  Here is one of many articles that were written about that.  (In fairness, I never really understood those articles, because they all claimed that the default had been "changed" to "Optimize for quick removal", except with all of the external drives I tried, that was the default even as early as Windows XP.  I never found an article that explained what exactly had been changed here.)

MysteryGuy
MysteryGuy
New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)New Member (38 reputation)
jphughan - 25 July 2020 8:00 PM
Local just means "not a network share".  (And even that can get murky given that iSCSI LUNs would be considered local storage even though you connect to them over the network.)  But local isn't the opposite of removable.  And even removable storage is a class that would include the vast majority of USB flash drives, while hard drives and SSDs (and a small handful of flash drives) would be considered "fixed disk class" storage, even when connected via USB or some other bus that supports hot swapping.  In terms of not being able to eject, someone else recently reported in a July 19 post in this thread that an updated CBT DLL resolved this issue.  So maybe that will be included in an upcoming Reflect update?  Or if you trust Microsoft, apparently safe removal is supposed to be unnecessary starting with Win10 1809 unless you specifically change settings to make it necessary.  Here is one of many articles that were written about that.  (In fairness, I never really understood those articles, because they all claimed that the default had been "changed" to "Optimize for quick removal", except with all of the external drives I tried, that was the default even as early as Windows XP.  I never found an article that explained what exactly had been changed here.)

Thanks. I'll see if a future Macrium update improves this issue for me.

Even if it works out that it's 'data safe' to pull the plug despite not being 'safely removed', I don't feel comfortable pulling the plug while the drive is powered up and spinning. (It spins down when 'safely' removed with the icon).

If disconnected without safe removal, it makes a  noise that sounds to me like it's 'unhappy' to do so.. Possibly an 'emergency' head retract or something to that effect.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
MysteryGuy - 27 July 2020 4:31 PM
Thanks. I'll see if a future Macrium update improves this issue for me.

Even if it works out that it's 'data safe' to pull the plug despite not being 'safely removed', I don't feel comfortable pulling the plug while the drive is powered up and spinning. (It spins down when 'safely' removed with the icon).

If disconnected without safe removal, it makes a  noise that sounds to me like it's 'unhappy' to do so.. Possibly an 'emergency' head retract or something to that effect.

I too prefer to use the safe removal technique; I was just letting you know about that option.  The noise you're hearing is indeed the head retracting, although drives are designed to do that.  I believe the energy required to move the heads after a power loss is stored in one or more capacitors for this specific reason.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search