Windows Recovery Boot Menu - Is It Always There On Restart?

Author
therealhendrix
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I'm curious, if you add the rescue boot menu option to Windows, does it always make you select on restart? Or is the option only there if you go into the boot menu? So if I add the boot menu option, will I need to select Windows every time I reboot my PC? I have rescue media but would also like to add the boot menu as an easier way to roll back my system if needed. However, I'm not sure I want to add it if my PC won't reboot automatically due to this. Thanks!
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
The boot menu has a timeout.  If you don't select anything, it will boot to the default option.  You can customize the length of the timeout the the default boot option using the System Configuration app (MSconfig) under the Boot tab.  I think the default timeout is 30 seconds, but I have mine set to 3 seconds because that's enough time for me to select something else if I want it, without unreasonably lengthening my regular boot time for normal conditions.  But my system can absolutely restart normally without getting stuck waiting for me to make a choice on that menu.

Edited 25 July 2020 6:17 PM by jphughan
therealhendrix
therealhendrix
New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)New Member (47 reputation)
Awesome, that's good to hear and sounds like exactly what I'll do as well! Sounds like a perfect comoromise and you must have thought the same thing when adding it. So under System Config, Boot, I just change my default Windows 10 Timeout from the default 0 to 3 seconds? Im guessing this means if the default OS doesn't boot within the timeout period, it'll do so automatically? It doesn't have any kind of description so I never would have thought of that.

Thanks Again! You're always super helpful and I love learning more advanced ways to use Macrium and tinker with my PC.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Happy to help! Correct, just change the timeout as desired and click OK. The boot menu will display for that period of time, and if the user doesn’t make any input during that time, the system will boot into whatever option is set as the default, which you can also see and set under that Boot tab. But unless you have a dual boot system or some other reason to have multiple options, the only other choice will be your OS. (I have two boot options for Windows 10, namely the normal option and one that starts Windows 10 without Hyper-V active if I need to run another virtualization platform.) And if you ever only have one option in your list, then the boot menu is automatically skipped, regardless of your timeout setting.
therealhendrix
therealhendrix
Ohh ok, so once I add the Macrium Recovery Boot Menu, it'll also show up under Mscojfig in the boot tab next to Windows?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Correct Smile

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search