Incremental Image Failure - Need to analyze

Author
Nisko
Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
@jphoughan:  
This post is in reference to starting my first incremental backup.  I believe you said that, if I began my backup strategy without a full backup to attach incrementals to, Macrium would automatically create a full backup first anyway.  Looking at the attached error report (from the failure), it seems to me that the full backup wasn't created first.  Please clarify.  Thank you......
Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Well you provided only a partial screenshot of a log.  It appears that Reflect initially tried to perform an Incremental, hence its attempt to load the parent Full (the file name ending in 00-00).  For a reason that isn't clear to me, that failed, and as a result Reflect did in fact switch to creating a Full, as indicated by the "Backup Type" line that says "Full -- Incremental specified but no image set to append to".  And then the next lines of the log indicate that it did seem to proceed.  Unfortunately since you just captured a screenshot of part of the log, I can't see how the story turned out.  It would be better to copy/paste the text of the log, omitting your license key at the bottom, and then provide it as text in a forum post.  That would also allow you to do things like remove your email address that's in full view in the screenshot.

On a side note, I have no idea if this might be relevant to the load error that you encountered, but I really wouldn't use that incredibly long name for your backup file naming -- in fact it looks like whatever you had was even longer and got truncated at "Seagate P", with Reflect adding its standard numbering at that point.  And in terms of what you put into the name, be aware that every backup file in the same set shares the same "base" name, with only the last pair of numbers at the end changing.  That means that it doesn't make sense to put a date like 07.19.2020 into the file name, since that will be repeated on all future backups made in that set, even though they won't all have been made on that date.  I also don't recommend having "Incremental Image Drives" in a set name since not all backups in the set will be Incrementals.  But most of all, if you want something descriptive, then use that for the destination FOLDER name, in which case you can leave Reflect set to use the Image ID for naming, which is the default configuration.  But even for a folder, I'm not sure it makes sense to have a name that long.  Just have a folder called "C and D backups from Reflect" or something.  I'm not sure why you need to specify that it's on a Seagate device if the folder will is already on said Seagate device.  And as for dates, you'll be able to see that from within Reflect's Restore tab.

(And pro tip on using dates in file names for scenarios where it makes sense.  Don't enter dates in month, day, year sequence, since then they sort by month, which becomes a problem if you ever have files from multiple  years.  Instead, enter them as year, month, day, e.g. 2020-07-19.)

Edited 21 July 2020 8:02 PM by jphughan
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Ok @Nisko, I'm just going to write out step-by-step instructions for getting started, because from the threads you've been creating that mention me, it seems like you're having a lot of trouble getting off the ground here.  So here goes.  If you don't see me suggest changing an option, then please just leave it alone for now to keep things simple.  If you feel it's not quite the right fit for you, then it can be changed later, but right now the goal is just to get you a setup that actually works.
  1. Take any existing backups you have and either delete them if that would be acceptable to you, or else move them to some other folder so you can start clean here.
  2. Create a new folder that will be dedicated to storing backups created by a specific job.  Since it seems you want to back up C and D together, maybe called it "C and D Backups from Reflect".  Just create the folder and make sure it's empty.
  3. Open Reflect, go to the Backup Definition Files tab, and choose to delete any definition files you've been creating while trying to get this all working.  Check the box to delete the file on the hard disk and any associated scheduled tasks.
  4. Go back to the "Create a backup" tab make sure any disk(s)/partition(s) you want to back up are selected, and that anything you do NOT want to include your backup is NOT selected, and over in the upper-left corner, click "Image selected disks on this computer".
  5. In the wizard that pops up, reconfirm that you've selected ALL and ONLY the disks/partitions you want to back up.  In the destination field, select that new folder you created in Step 2.  Make sure "Use the Image ID as the file name" is checked.  If you want to set up email notifications, click Advanced Options, specify them, and click OK to come back to the main portion of the wizard.
  6. Click Next to move to the schedule and retention policy section of the wizard.  Click Add Schedule and select Full.  Choose Monthly for Day 1 of the month (or 1st Sunday, or whatever you want).  Specify the desired time.  Don't worry about the Start Date, since even if you have it set to today, it won't actually run until the day that matches the schedule pattern you've just selected.  Click OK.
  7. Click Add Schedule and select Incremental.  Choose Daily and specify the same time of day that you used for the Full schedule above.
  8. In the "Define Retention Rules" section, if you want to replicate what I have, change the dropdown option to "Apply retention rules to all backups in the target folder".  Set your Full retention to 2 Backups and set your Incremental retention to 7 Backups.  Uncheck "Create a Synthetic Full if possible", and uncheck "Run purge before backup".
  9. Click Finish.  Choose to save the job as an XML file, name that something like "Back Up C and D", and save it in the Reflect folder inside your Documents folder.  If you want to run a backup now, keep that option checked.  If not, then uncheck that.  Click OK.
  10. Sit back and let your backup schedule work from now on.  If you ever want to run a manual, unscheduled/on-demand backup, go to the Backup Definition Files tab, right-click your definition file, and select Run Now > [desired backup type].

Edited 21 July 2020 8:23 PM by jphughan
Nisko
Nisko
Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)Junior Member (83 reputation)
Thanks!  I followed your instructions exactly except for one item (my fault - I jumped the gun) and didn't read ahead - see attached.

I didn't see the box - so didn't check it.  However, I looked for the existing XML file that I had saved and it wasn't there.  I DID delete any existing definition files so I'm thinking that must have deleted the one I had already saved (a few days ago).  

I'm running the backup now - will be done later tonight.

Attachments
Check Box.jpg (2 views, 14.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, well as long as you don't have any scheduled tasks still on your system pointing to that non-existent XML file, you should be fine.  And if you do, you'll notice it because Reflect's Log tab will have job logs calling out a failure due to an inability to find the referenced XML file, in which case you'll need to go into Task Scheduler directly and delete the tasks still pointing to that XML file.  Glad you've got a backup running. Smile

Nisko
Nisko
Attached is a result of the first backup which ran last night.  Don't know where to go from here.  Seems like I have to wipe out all existing paths and XML files and start out fresh on my backup drive.  I tried to make an image of my log which shows errors (which I don't understand) but I don't know how to get an image of the log which has to be scrolled down to see the entire log.  If you can show me how to do this, I'll send you the entire log.  Thank you....
Attachments
Error Loading07.22.2020.jpg (4 views, 22.00 KB)
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The log is just text.  You can just highlight the text, press Ctrl+C (or right click and select Copy), then click inside the box where you write posts to this forum, and press Ctrl+V (or right-click and select Paste).  Again, make sure NOT to include your Reflect license key at the bottom of the log.

Just as an outside thought at a possible cause of this error, have you considered not using such long file and folder names?  You appear to have "on Segate" in the folder names of two different folders in that path, even though the folders are already quite obviously on a Seagate drive.  And maybe eliminate the & character from the folder name that I believe I'm seeing in the screenshot where only the bottom half of the folder path is visible?

Edited 23 July 2020 1:04 AM by jphughan
Nisko
Nisko
Following is the log associated with 07.00.53 (see below for the log associated with 07.30.54):  As far as the file and folder names, I used those descriptive names when I was only creating full backups - it's a holdover from my past.  They always worked.  However, to avoid what might be a problem, last nigh I followed you instructions exactly and name my folders just as you described.  Somewhere I went worng - but don't know where.  Perhaps you can tell by the logs I've included below.

Image ID - 18D47F01F7F40C3A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Imaging Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Backup Definition File: c:\users\bobbyscomputer\documents\jpdoughan backup strategy.xml
Auto Verify: Y
Maximum File Size: Automatic
Compression: Medium
Password: N
Intelligent Copy: Y
Power Saving: N
Email On Success: Y
Recipients: rmo555@gmail.com
Email On Warning: Y
Email On Failure: Y
Total Selected: 628.07 GB
Current Time: 7/21/2020 7:00:53 PM

Destination:
Backup Type: Full - Incremental specified but no image set to append to
File Name: P:\Macrium Disk Images on Seagate P\Incremental Backups of Drives C & D on Seagate P\07.19.2020 Incremental Image Drives C & D using Macrium on Seagate P-00-00.mrimg

Operation 1 of 4
Hard Disk: 1
Drive Letter: N/A
File System: NTFS
Label: System Reserved
Size: 549.0 MB
Free: 170.9 MB
Used: 378.1 MB

Operation 2 of 4
Drive Letter: C
CBT: Y
Label: Windows 10 (New)
Size: 930.21 GB
Free: 761.12 GB
Used: 169.09 GB

Operation 3 of 4
Drive Letter: N/A
Label:
Size: 783.0 MB
Free: 341.0 MB
Used: 442.0 MB

Operation 4 of 4
Hard Disk: 2
Drive Letter: D
CBT: Y
Label: Data Drive
Size: 931.51 GB
Free: 473.33 GB
Used: 458.18 GB

Starting Image - Tuesday, July 21, 2020 19:00:54
Initializing
Write Method: Using File System Cache
Validating location: P:\Macrium Disk Images on Seagate P\Incremental Backups of Drives C & D on Seagate P\ - Invalid (The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.)

Email Notifications
Email notification sent

Backup aborted! - None of the specified backup locations could be written to

05.30.54:

Image ID - 4F1DFCDDF63F742A

Imaging Summary

Backup Definition File: p:\macrium disk images on seagate p\incrementalbackup test xml file\incremental backup test.xml
XML Validation: Error - 'p:\macrium disk images on seagate p\incrementalbackup test xml file\incremental backup test.xml' not found

Backup aborted! - XML validation error

Attachments
07.21.2020.jpg (0 views, 11.00 KB)
Nisko
Nisko
Forgot to ask you how to get to the task scheduler (I've never used it before) and what do I look for?
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The first log mentions an I/O device error.  That's pretty generic, but it might have been an interruption in the connection to the destination, for example.  But that folder path is still a mess.  I would trim that down, and once again do not put dates into folder names or file names, because it is pointless to incorporate a date into a folder or file set that will contain backups captured at multiple separate dates.  How about just shortening "P:\Macrium Disk Images on Seagate P\Incremental Backups of Drives C & D on Seagate P\" to "P:\Reflect Backups\C and D Backups".  I really don't see why you need to say "on Seagate P" in two separate folders that are already on a Seagate device that is assigned drive letter P.  And just on the off chance the ampersand is an issue, that's easy enough to remove.

The second log that says 05.30.54 in the large bold heading (even though you mentioned 07.30.54 at the top of your post) indicates that Reflect couldn't even find the definition file.  But the place it was looking suggests that you're apparently storing your XML file on external hard drive.  That is a bad practice.  In my instructions I specifically said to save it in the Reflect folder of your Documents folder.  There are good reasons that Reflect defaults to that location instead of your backup destination folder.  But that's also a completely separate definitino file from the first log, though.  Notice that the FIRST log refers to a definition file at " c:\users\bobbyscomputer\documents\jpdoughan backup strategy.xml", while that second log is using (well, trying to use) an XML file located at "p:\macrium disk images on seagate p\incrementalbackup test xml file\incremental backup test.xml".  So my guess as to what's happening is this: Remember in those instructions where I said to delete your definition files and make sure to check the box to also delete any scheduled tasks associated with them, and you said you missed that because you didn't read carefully?  Well, you probably now have one or more scheduled tasks left over in Task Scheduler that are still configured to run and are now calling Reflect telling it to use a definition file that no longer exists.  So now you have to go into Task Scheduler directly, open Task Scheduler Library, and find scheduled tasks that begin with "Macrium".  For each one, double-click it and check the Actions tab.  When you find one (or more) that refer to definition files that you're not actually using anymore, delete them.

You can find Task Scheduler by clicking your Start button and then just starting to type "Task Scheduler".

Edited 23 July 2020 1:48 AM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search