Linux & .mrimg File Mount or Extract

Author
HB7
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello,

Would it be possible, within Linux / Unix OS, to mount .mrimg file? Or, to explore .mrimg file; extract .mrimg file?

Would be converting .mrimg file into other format via dd. QWMU, or whatever is equivalent, is possible?

I am relying on Ubuntu PC from now on, and I would like to be able to manipulate and explore .mrimg files that I do have.

Thanx
HB7
HB7
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Correction:  QEMU instead of QWMU

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
I don't know if Reflect even installs on Linux/Unix.  If it doesn't install, you can't mount its image files, probably.  And, since I believe the image files are proprietary format by Reflect, you probably can't convert them to another format.

HB7
HB7
dbminter - 21 July 2020 2:33 PM
I don't know if Reflect even installs on Linux/Unix.  If it doesn't install, you can't mount its image files, probably.  And, since I believe the image files are proprietary format by Reflect, you probably can't convert them to another format.

@dbminter Thank you, so you are saying: 

- Reflect file image .mrimg is proprietary format
- thus Reflect software would be necessary
- Reflect has no Linux installation.
- .mrimg thus only can be: mounted, explored, edited in Windows OS.
- .mrimg cannot be worked with utilizing Linux OS / Unix OS.

Does Reflect has an updated image format or type 'conversion' tool for .mrimg where the image can be converted into a format that can be universally worked with?

Thanx
dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
I'm not entirely sure about those answers, but I do believe the file type is proprietary, that Reflect must be installed to mount an image, and that Reflect doesn't install on Linux/Unix.  Reflect uses the VSS, which is a subsystem of Windows.  And that the image files can only be handled in Windows.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
dbminter - 21 July 2020 3:20 PM
I'm not entirely sure about those answers, but I do believe the file type is proprietary, that Reflect must be installed to mount an image, and that Reflect doesn't install on Linux/Unix.  Reflect uses the VSS, which is a subsystem of Windows.  And that the image files can only be handled in Windows.

VSS only comes into play when creating an image of a live volume.  VSS isn't used when creating images in the Rescue environment, for example, since volumes can be taken offline for imaging.  But after an image exists, then VSS isn't involved at all.  Even if VSS was used to create the backup, it's not involved with accessing it later.

That said, I don't know of a way to mount MRIMG files without Reflect, and Reflect isn't available for Linux.  So unless somebody has reverse-engineered Reflect's MRIMG format and developed a Linux application to allow working with those files, I don't see how you'd be able to work with MRIMG files within Linux.  I know that Reflect Rescue Media used to offer the option of being built on Linux, but that was quite a while ago, so I don't know if that old version would work with more recent MRIMG files (or for that matter more recent Linux kernels).

Edited 21 July 2020 4:07 PM by jphughan
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search