Feature request: Automatic updates

Author
Dave23572
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Please self update the software rather than requiring the user to do this.
Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Talented Member
Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)Talented Member (140 reputation)
If this request is implemented, please make it optional rather than mandatory.   I never want my software updated as soon as an update is available.  This is particularly important with MR since it requires a reboot after an update

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (11K reputation)
Patrick O'Keefe - 1 September 2020 4:59 PM
If this request is implemented, please make it optional rather than mandatory.   I never want my software updated as soon as an update is available.  This is particularly important with MR since it requires a reboot after an update

Reboots are only required if you have CBT and/or Image Guardian and the Reflect update in question includes an update to either of those components.  Image Guardian hasn't gotten very many updates relative to CBT, and it arguably provides more value to more people, so if you don't think you need CBT and/or Image Guardian, you could uninstall just those components and reduce the likelihood that a given Reflect update will require a reboot.

I personally am opposed to automatic update with Reflect.  I like the fact that update checks can now occur even in the background rather than only when you actually launch Reflect, which some users might not do often -- especially on servers where even a user logon is relatively rare (which is why Macrium developed the email notification option for updates) -- but automatic update installation would be a no-go for me.  Reflect is a critical application for many users, myself included, and not all fixes and enhancements contained in updates are relevant to all users.  That's why I personally read the release notes of a given update and decide whether it has anything I care about.  If not, I skip that update in favor of keeping something that I know works.  This is especially the case these days where in my opinion there have been a few too many cases of Reflect updates arriving to fix problems that were only introduced in the immediately preceding release.

Edited 1 September 2020 5:21 PM by jphughan
backuper
backuper
Talented Member
Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)Talented Member (113 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
Yes please only optional. Any automatic change of your environment is a nightmare in my book. Every update can have bugs, even from the best software, this is a totally normal thing.

When my system is tested and working rock solid I like to keep it this way. After an update the testing starts again, I like to be aware and prepared for this and control when I want to do it.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search