_before_snapshot_wait Script in Free Version?

Author
whitedavidp
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi there. I just stumbled into this function while looking at the knowledge base.

Does anyone know if this works in the free version? I have tried it and it did not seem to work. I would certainly understand if it does not. But would love to use it if it does.

Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (22K reputation)
Not sure if it's available in Free, but it's disabled by default even in the paid version because of some security risks that capability can introduce.  Basically, anything in those scripts runs with SYSTEM-level privileges, and since not everyone stores their XML files in a locked down location, it was possible for malicious users to simply create a properly named file and gain the ability to run arbitrary commands with SYSTEM privileges.  So if you're going to use it, just be aware of the concern about malicious script modification, and make sure you're comfortable with where you're storing your XML files.  The KB article about this, including the registry setting that has to be altered to enable it, is here.  Again, I don't know if it's possible in Free, but please report back.

Also be aware that these scripts run before and after the VSS snapshot, NOT before and after the entire backup job.  The majority of Reflect jobs (but not all) involve making a VSS snapshot, but the post-snapshot action would occur near the beginning of the job, just before Reflect started backing up data.

whitedavidp
whitedavidp
New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)New Member (46 reputation)
jphughan - 13 July 2020 8:28 PM
Not sure if it's available in Free, but it's disabled by default even in the paid version because of some security risks that capability can introduce.  Basically, anything in those scripts runs with SYSTEM-level privileges, and since not everyone stores their XML files in a locked down location, it was possible for malicious users to simply create a properly named file and gain the ability to run arbitrary commands with SYSTEM privileges.  So if you're going to use it, just be aware of the concern about malicious script modification, and make sure you're comfortable with where you're storing your XML files.  The KB article about this, including the registry setting that has to be altered to enable it, is here.  Again, I don't know if it's possible in Free, but please report back.

Also be aware that these scripts run before and after the VSS snapshot, NOT before and after the entire backup job.  The majority of Reflect jobs (but not all) involve making a VSS snapshot, but the post-snapshot action would occur near the beginning of the job, just before Reflect started backing up data.

Brilliant! I just needed to create the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macrium\Reflect\settings\EnablePrePostScripts and it works even in the free version. If Macrium isn't the best backup solution, I'll eat my hat (gotta buy a hat first though). Thanks for point me at this.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search