sata raid driver problems on AMDx570 mobo

Author
wesvwap
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
the main issue is getting the sata raid drivers loaded properly - i've tried two other software vendors with no luck

i'm migrating from a Legacy/MBR AHCI raid1 to an AMDx570 motherboard that uses UEFI/GPT

*two drivers are required for the raid to be visible and they have to load in this order
1) rcbottom && 2) rcraid

as per instructions from Gosha on a support ticket when i was inquiring if Macrium could do the job::
i copied the sys and info files to a Drivers folder at c:\boot\macrium
i opened Macrium Rescue Media Builder
i selected my removable USB flash drive
in advanced i selected WinPE
i hit Build and Macrium downloaded the necessary ADK files from Microsoft and built the WIM file for rescue media on the USB flash drive....
everything seems like things are fine....

i opened the USB flash drive and navigated to the
d:\Drivers\Disk\VEN_1022_DEV_7916 folder
and only the rcbottom driver is there....
the rcraid driver is not on the USB flash drive anywhere...
this won't work...

how do i get the 2 drivers onto the rescue media so that they'll load in the proper order ?
i do have a full set of drivers i exported with dism from the target hardware after i installed windows10 and applied the OEM driver update DVD...
i tried attaching the list from "dism /get-drivers" but for some reason my browser doesn't like the add file button....
long story short rcbottom is listed as OEM0 and rcraid is listed as OEM1 and that's probably the location and order they need to be in for the darn thing to run....
any ideas...
been working on this for 3 weeks now...

wesvwap
wesvwap
New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)New Member (20 reputation)
here's that driver list exported using dism from a windows10 install with OEM updated drivers on the AMD x570 mob

Attachments
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Very strange.  I've never seen Rescue Media Builder fail to copy drivers in the "staging" folder of a given WinPE/RE environment into a Rescue Media build created using that same environment.  On my own system I've even got drivers for hardware I don't even have in my PC in my staging folders specifically to create "universal" Rescue Media that works on other PCs I use, and Rescue Media Builder has no trouble incorporating them.

But here's one workaround you could try, especially if you need to control the order in which they load:

1. Remove those drivers from C:\Boot\Macrium\[appropriate WinPE/RE staging folder]\Drivers.
2. Rebuild your Rescue Media and confirm that its \Drivers\Disk folder does NOT include those drivers.
3. Copy those driver folders to your flash drive in some OTHER location, i.e. NOT in the Driver folder.
4. In Rescue, go to Restore > View Unsupported Hardware.  Use the Load Driver wizard there to load those drivers in the proper order.  The only potential snag here is that if you have to load two separate drivers for the same device, I'm not sure how that will work since I don't have any hardware that works that way.  If that doesn't work, the alternative would be to copy the two drivers you need directly into the \Drivers\Disk folder of your built Rescue Media, i.e. not the "staging" folder on your system.  Then try booting from Rescue, at which point it should load those drivers automatically.  I don't know of a way to force them to be loaded in a specific order, though.

wesvwap
wesvwap
jphughan - 6 July 2020 12:33 AM
Very strange.  I've never seen Rescue Media Builder fail to copy drivers in the "staging" folder of a given WinPE/RE environment into a Rescue Media build created using that same environment.  On my own system I've even got drivers for hardware I don't even have in my PC in my staging folders specifically to create "universal" Rescue Media that works on other PCs I use, and Rescue Media Builder has no trouble incorporating them.

But here's one workaround you could try, especially if you need to control the order in which they load:

1. Remove those drivers from C:\Boot\Macrium\[appropriate WinPE/RE staging folder]\Drivers.
2. Rebuild your Rescue Media and confirm that its \Drivers\Disk folder does NOT include those drivers.
3. Copy those driver folders to your flash drive in some OTHER location, i.e. NOT in the Driver folder.
4. In Rescue, go to Restore > View Unsupported Hardware.  Use the Load Driver wizard there to load those drivers in the proper order.  The only potential snag here is that if you have to load two separate drivers for the same device, I'm not sure how that will work since I don't have any hardware that works that way.  If that doesn't work, the alternative would be to copy the two drivers you need directly into the \Drivers\Disk folder of your built Rescue Media, i.e. not the "staging" folder on your system.  Then try booting from Rescue, at which point it should load those drivers automatically.  I don't know of a way to force them to be loaded in a specific order, though.

unbelievable....
i've removed rcbottom files from every folder on my c drive except the system folder and disconnected the external usb that has the drivers and backups on it
i force a rebuild and rcbottom still winds up on the USB flash drive in drivers\disk\...
persistent little duck isn't it...
oh, when i'm in advanced setting base wim devices and drivers rescue media volume - the 4 listings for AMD-RAID Bottom Device are still there with green check marks next to them - but i can't uncheck them or delete them from the list...
that might help this situation...

would the driver's insistent persistence be because there's something that needs to be unchecked in Reflect before i build the media or is it because Reflect sees it as a necessary driver because it's in the Windows\System32 folder ? or the Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\ folder ?
can't delete them in those folders....

should i uninstall and re-install Reflect ?
this is really getting silly...
can i just delete the disks folder from the install media and get on with trying #4 ?
and the alternative
copy all 8 of the driver files (2drivers x 4files each)  to the drivers\disk\Ven_1022_DEV_7916 folder ?
what about using dism to strip the drivers in a backup and installing the raid drivers only ?
what about using dism to strip the drivers in a backup image and then dism install the drivers that were exported using dism from the pristine install ?
so many options...
all i know is that a windows install usb flash will correctly install the drivers one at a time in whatever order you do it and it works every time...
i'm crossing my fingers that the unsuported hardware driver wizard can do the same kind of job... but will the drivers actually end up on the restored image ?  if not, isn't there always dism ?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
To my knowledge, Reflect looks at the drivers that it considers necessary at the time the WIM is being built.  If they're not already in the staging folder, then Reflect will grab them, so deleting them before rebuilding a WIM won't prevent them from ending up in the Rescue Media build.  And to my knowledge there is no way to prevent Reflect from including drivers that it considers necessary.  As to what causes Reflect to consider devices (and therefore their drivers) necessary, I'm not entirely sure about that.  But as far as I can tell, it seems to look at storage, Ethernet, USB, and (for WinRE 10 builds) WiFi devices that are connected on the PCIe bus (i.e. USB Ethernet devices would be ignored) AND that Reflect determines do not have native support within the WinPE/RE environment you're building.  I'm not entirely sure how it determines whether a given WinPE/RE environment has native support.  Maybe it can query PCI VEN and DEV IDs?

In any case, when Rescue Media incorporates drivers, it copies them into the Drivers folder at the root of the Rescue Media build AND into a Drivers folder at the root of the file system inside the WIM itself.  So if you needed to purge the drivers from your Rescue Media, you'd need to delete them from both locations.  If you're comfortable using DISM to mount the boot.wim file, delete those files, and unmount the WIM committing the changes, then that might be worth trying at least to see if that resolves the issue.  If so, obviously it would be better if Reflect itself could manage this particular situation more automatically, but it would be good to know whether doing that (and then providing drivers manually in the booted Rescue environment) actually solves the problem.  But you should NOT have to use the DISM commands to actually delete drivers, since to my knowledge it doesn't inject drivers into the WinPE/RE driver repository, only into a folder that exists in the WinPE/RE file system.

In terms of drivers ending up in a restored IMAGE though, that's a completely separate thing.  Having drivers baked into Rescue Media or loading them into the Rescue Media environment does NOT cause Reflect to inject them into images that it restores.  Those drivers are only available for the WinPE/RE environment that is running Rescue itself.  Typically if you're restoring an image to the PC it was captured from, the image will already have those drivers.  However, if that's not the case for some reason, e.g. because you're restoring onto a different PC or performing a restore after a hardware swap, the paid versions of Reflect include a feature called ReDeploy that IS designed to inject boot-critical drivers into the Windows environment actually on the disk.  ReDeploy scans your system's hardware and checks the boot-critical drivers that Windows is currently configured to load.  If it's not configured to load drivers appropriate to the current hardware, ReDeploy will tweak the Windows environment as needed.  If the Windows environment has native support for the necessary hardware, then ReDeploy will typically find and use that native driver.  Otherwise, it will prompt you to supply the driver(s) that need to be injected in order to allow that Windows environment to boot properly on the current hardware.

wesvwap
wesvwap
well, here it is from Macrium support...
too bad Acronis didn't take me seriously when i said it was a problem with their rescue media...

Hello South of Sagittarius,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

I have been in touch with the dev team regarding this and we can confirm that further work needs to be put into correcting the way we gather AMD NVMe RAID drivers to correctly present the disks in PE.

Unfortunately, I can not say how long this process will take. If you wish to discuss your feature request further please add a post to our forum: https://forum.macrium.com/Forum30.aspx

Kind regards,
Macrium Support
wesvwap
wesvwap
jphughan - 8 July 2020 4:02 AM
To my knowledge, Reflect looks at the drivers that it considers necessary at the time the WIM is being built.  If they're not already in the staging folder, then Reflect will grab them, so deleting them before rebuilding a WIM won't prevent them from ending up in the Rescue Media build.  And to my knowledge there is no way to prevent Reflect from including drivers that it considers necessary.  As to what causes Reflect to consider devices (and therefore their drivers) necessary, I'm not entirely sure about that.  But as far as I can tell, it seems to look at storage, Ethernet, USB, and (for WinRE 10 builds) WiFi devices that are connected on the PCIe bus (i.e. USB Ethernet devices would be ignored) AND that Reflect determines do not have native support within the WinPE/RE environment you're building.  I'm not entirely sure how it determines whether a given WinPE/RE environment has native support.  Maybe it can query PCI VEN and DEV IDs?

In any case, when Rescue Media incorporates drivers, it copies them into the Drivers folder at the root of the Rescue Media build AND into a Drivers folder at the root of the file system inside the WIM itself.  So if you needed to purge the drivers from your Rescue Media, you'd need to delete them from both locations.  If you're comfortable using DISM to mount the boot.wim file, delete those files, and unmount the WIM committing the changes, then that might be worth trying at least to see if that resolves the issue.  If so, obviously it would be better if Reflect itself could manage this particular situation more automatically, but it would be good to know whether doing that (and then providing drivers manually in the booted Rescue environment) actually solves the problem.  But you should NOT have to use the DISM commands to actually delete drivers, since to my knowledge it doesn't inject drivers into the WinPE/RE driver repository, only into a folder that exists in the WinPE/RE file system.

In terms of drivers ending up in a restored IMAGE though, that's a completely separate thing.  Having drivers baked into Rescue Media or loading them into the Rescue Media environment does NOT cause Reflect to inject them into images that it restores.  Those drivers are only available for the WinPE/RE environment that is running Rescue itself.  Typically if you're restoring an image to the PC it was captured from, the image will already have those drivers.  However, if that's not the case for some reason, e.g. because you're restoring onto a different PC or performing a restore after a hardware swap, the paid versions of Reflect include a feature called ReDeploy that IS designed to inject boot-critical drivers into the Windows environment actually on the disk.  ReDeploy scans your system's hardware and checks the boot-critical drivers that Windows is currently configured to load.  If it's not configured to load drivers appropriate to the current hardware, ReDeploy will tweak the Windows environment as needed.  If the Windows environment has native support for the necessary hardware, then ReDeploy will typically find and use that native driver.  Otherwise, it will prompt you to supply the driver(s) that need to be injected in order to allow that Windows environment to boot properly on the current hardware.

i tried that last night and i'll give it a go again tonight but there was a problem - i can't remember exactly, i'll get pictures - it seems like i could set up the two raid drivers rcbottom and rcraid to inject but then when i got to the confirmation screen the rcraid driver was again missing from the actions to take... i think i should just restore the image to the disk then use dism from the command prompt to strip the drivers from the old box and install the drivers i exported using dism - but install them manually one by one... then see what happens to the ole, er, uh, new raid array boot potential... in the meantime Macrium is working on it - if the x570 platform is adopted by more futures and forex traders like myself this issue will come up again and again....
wesvwap
wesvwap
GOT IT ACCOMPLISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stripping out all the old drivers then adding the 18 exported drivers from a clean install
then using "Fix Boot Problems"
IT WORKED IT WORKED --- YAY !!!!!

dbeck
dbeck
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Awaiting Activation
wesvwap - 12 July 2020 4:08 PM
GOT IT ACCOMPLISHED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
stripping out all the old drivers then adding the 18 exported drivers from a clean install
then using "Fix Boot Problems"
IT WORKED IT WORKED --- YAY !!!!!

I have the same issue on an AMD 570 board.  When you say "adding the 18 exported drivers" where exactly did you add them to
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
dbeck - 22 August 2020 12:05 AM
I have the same issue on an AMD 570 board.  When you say "adding the 18 exported drivers" where exactly did you add them to

If you want to get Reflect to inject drivers into Rescue Media, go to C:\boot\macrium\[Drivers folder of whatever WinPE/RE version you're using]\64bit\Disk.  Create one subfolder per driver -- the name of the folder doesn't matter -- and then put the necessary driver files into the subfolder.  Then rebuild your Rescue Media.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search