View all history for a single backup task (backup ID)?

Author
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I take 5 Files and Folders backups each day.  When I display the Log tab in the MR GUI it displays a tree structure with backup timestamps but no other indication of which log is for which backup.  I would like to see the backup history associated with one backup task without having to open (or at least click on) each individual log file to see if I've got the ones I want.  Is there any option (or any tools) available that can access all of the log data for just one backup?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Unfortunately there is currently no way to sort or filter logs by definition file, although that's been requested before (and is one of the items on my "Aggregated quick win feature requests" thread here.)

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)Proficient Member (367 reputation)
Oh, well.  Thanks for the link to the wishlist you collected.  Is there any way for customers to add a "me too" vote to the entries.

In the meantime, I see the log entries are in %PROGRAMDATA%\Macrium\Reflect .html files with each .tml file name being the same as the associated .mrimg and .mrbak backup files.   (At least that's the way it is so far in my installations - using the default backup naming convention.)  And each of the file names starts with the Backup ID.  It should not be too hard for come up with my own tool for this.  (Actually, it will probably take me weeks. Smile  )

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
Generally when we agree with a suggestion for a feature, we just answer to the thread saying something like "+1 from me."

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
I understand that - it's pretty typical forum behavior for agreeing with something expressed.  But in this case it is a list of specific requests.  Adding a +1 in the original thread is good, but if MR developers or program managers are looking at the aggregate list, they won't see that.

dbminter
dbminter
Most Valuable Professional
Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)Most Valuable Professional (4.3K reputation)
What you could do is copy and paste each suggestion you're supporting into a reply and then say something like +1 for all these suggestions.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
pokeefe - 3 July 2020 7:45 PM
Oh, well.  Thanks for the link to the wishlist you collected.  Is there any way for customers to add a "me too" vote to the entries.

In the meantime, I see the log entries are in %PROGRAMDATA%\Macrium\Reflect .html files with each .tml file name being the same as the associated .mrimg and .mrbak backup files.   (At least that's the way it is so far in my installations - using the default backup naming convention.)  And each of the file names starts with the Backup ID.  It should not be too hard for come up with my own tool for this.  (Actually, it will probably take me weeks. Smile  )

I don't know of a formal voting mechanism on the forum.  I created that thread mostly in the hopes that if I did the work of compiling a bunch of "quick win" requests that were spread all over the forum in different sections, and sometimes buried (and the result of) in a thread that originally began as troubleshooting an issue, then Macrium might absorb that list into some internal development plan and knock those items out.  Some of those items have been implemented, but many have not.  Yes, as you found, there are HTML files in the ProgramData folder, which is what Reflect is reading from in the Log tab.  I suppose you could write something that searched for a particular file path string as a filter mechanism, but in order to efficiently view those files you'd ideally want that filtering capability in an actual HTML viewer, rather than just having a list of HTML files in a Windows Explorer search and then having to open them manually.  But I guess if you have that many jobs, then that would still be better than nothing.

Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick O'Keefe
Proficient Member
jphughan - 4 July 2020 12:06 AM
pokeefe - 3 July 2020 7:45 PM

Yes, as you found, there are HTML files in the ProgramData folder, which is what Reflect is reading from in the Log tab.  I suppose you could write something that searched for a particular file path string as a filter mechanism, but in order to efficiently view those files you'd ideally want that filtering capability in an actual HTML viewer, rather than just having a list of HTML files in a Windows Explorer search and then having to open them manually.  But I guess if you have that many jobs, then that would still be better than nothing.

Actually, I was thinking of just reading the log files, extracting whatever data I might want, and displaying the extracted data in some way.  I hadn't thought of the details.  And I'm sure it's all a pipe dream; my programming days are 12 years in the past and in an entirely different environment - IBM mainframes.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search