XML Validation error on ALL File & Folder backups

Author
Tim Bay
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi

Windows 10 v2004 (OS Build 19041.329)
Macrium Home v7.2.4971

All SCHEDULED file and folder backups fail with an XML Validation error. If the same backup is manually started from within Macrium then the backup completes successfully! Imaging backups work as expected, whether scheduled or manually started.

This only began with the most recent update to Widows 10 (2004) so it appears there's an incompatibility somewhere....

Anyone else experienced same?

Tim

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
An XML validation error means that Reflect can’t even read the file telling it what you want it to do, so the only way it would when executed manually would be if you’re running a different XML file in that case. I helped someone here a long time ago where this type of behavior turned out to be because his scheduled job was running a different XML file than he was looking at in Reflect, in fact it was using one that wasn’t even listed in Reflect even though it still existed on his disk.

Check the job logs of a job that failed and a job that succeeded. The path to the XML file that was referenced is at the very top of the log.

My image and F&F jobs are working fine after his updating to Win10 2004, and considering how long it’s been out by now, if this were an incompatibility issue I would expect to have seen a lot of reports about this by now.
Edited 2 July 2020 2:06 PM by jphughan
Tim Bay
Tim Bay
New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)New Member (14 reputation)
Thanks for your reply jphughan.

I can confirm that the the XML file being flagged as invalid is the exact same one that is referenced both for the (failing) scheduled backup or directly (and successfully) from within Macrium. This XML file is stored (alongside other XML backup definitions) in a folder on my D: drive, and these other XML (Imaging) definition files schedule okay.

After some experimentation I've discovered that if the File & Folder XML file is stored in a folder on the C: drive then the schedule operates normally with no XML validation error. It would therefore appear that Macrium is having difficulty reading the File & Folder XML file from drive D: when a schedule job is about to run. However, this does not explain why XML (Imaging) definition files stored in the same folder on drive D: schedule okay.

Further experimentation tomorrow.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Just to confirm, the D drive is a local volume on your system and not a mapped network drive, correct?  If the working image definition files and "manual only" F&F definition files are stored even in the same folder rather than just on the same drive, then I agree that's very strange.  Technically it is possible to define custom permissions on individual files so that files in the same folder have different access parameters, but that would be unusual.  Still, you may as well check.  Right-click a working image definition file in Windows Explorer and go to Properties > Security > Advanced.  Then do the same for this F&F file and see if there are any differences.

Edited 2 July 2020 6:13 PM by jphughan
alQamar
alQamar
Talented Member
Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)Talented Member (125 reputation)
Hi there I might have a solution

"All SCHEDULED file and folder backups fail with an XML Validation error. If the same backup is manually started from within Macrium then the backup completes successfully! Imaging backups work as expected, whether scheduled or manually started."

I encountered the same issue but it was not related to 2004 upgrade but moving the xml file to a different drive.
I solved it myself but support ticket was #69396 and they gave me a thought

Please check the following on the parent folder AND the XML files:
who is the owner (at best SYSTEM)
Does the NTFS / ReFS permissions match on the XML file with the parent folder?
Is SYSTEM part of the permission set and has at least FULL or Change permissions?

For me it was not. XML validation was ok manually, job ran. Scheduled not.
Edited 2 July 2020 10:21 PM by alQamar
Tim Bay
Tim Bay
Thank you both!

(Drive C & D are partitions on the same physical local disk)

After a bit more investigation it turns out it IS a permissions problem.

Prior to the Widows 2004 update all XML files created by Macrium and not stored on the system drive (C) were automatically given ADMINISTRATORS permissions. However, any XML definition files created after the 2004 update (both Imaging and File & Folder) and stored on my D drive are no longer given ADMINISTRATOR permissions... hence why the scheduler can not find them? Giving all newly created XML files ADMINISTRATOR permissions makes the scheduled backups run perfectly.

Don't know whether this is a new Windows problem or a Macrium problem or simply how permissions are supposed to work.

Anyway, thanks again for pointing me in the right direction to cure the conundrum.

Edited 3 July 2020 7:59 AM by Tim Bay
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Glad you fixed it, but I think there’s more to this story. Can you post a screenshot of the Security > Advanced properties of a brand new XML file created on your D drive after Win10 2004? And for comparison can you see what happens when you manually create a text file in that same folder just by right-clicking in the folder and selecting New > Text Document? What does the Security > Advanced page look like for that file?
Tim Bay
Tim Bay
Sorry, but I got SO frustrated with W10 2004 (delayed response to keyboard and mouse, delays in accessing hard disk, occasional lock-ups) that I restored W10 1909..... Ah, that's better!

Eureka! Smile

I've discover that even though the folder on D that my XML files are saved in has ADMINISTRATOR listed in its 'group or user names', none of the ADMINISTRATOR permissions are ticked, so new XML files don't inherit the ADMINISTRATOR group from this parent folder. A little further investigation reveals that two XML schedules created in April 2019 and May 2019 were definitely given ADMINISTRATOR group and permissions automatically, but another (not scheduled) created in September 2019 was not, so somewhen after May 2019 my folder permissions got hosed.

As this September 2019 definition was only ever designed to run manually I never noticed it didn't have the correct ADMINISTRATOR group and permissions. So, not a Macrium problem nor a W10 2004 problem.

Thanks so much to both of you for all suggestions & help.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
A security principal (user or group) being listed in the access control list with no items ticked means "Special permissions".  That's why I specifically recommended looking at (and maybe posting a screenshot of) the Advanced area in two of my previous posts, since that view provides more detail.  For example, it is possible to configure permissions more granularly than those listed in the simple view.  It is also possible for permissions entries to be set on a folder and have a scope OTHER THAN "this folder, all files, and all subfolders".  It is also possible for files to be configured not to inherit any permissions from parent objects.  And lastly, it is possible to force inheritance of permissions defined on a parent folder down to all child objects, i.e. including child objects that at the moment are configured not to inherit permissions.  But all of that is only visible/doable in the Advanced section. Smile

Edited 4 July 2020 3:49 PM by jphughan
Tim Bay
Tim Bay
Okay and sorry for not posting these images. This 'permissions, privileges, groups and inheritance' topic is way above my pay grade and I was so elated to have cured the problem that I didn't 'follow through'.

Here's the Advanced Security Setting Page for the FOLDER where the XML files were stored. I can see that Administrators permissions only apply to the folder.

And here's the Permissions Entry for Administrators on that folder. The Administrator permissions only apply to the folder, so it explains why new XML files don't inherit the Administrators group from this parent folder.

That (to me) seems to be the smoking gun. How it came about after May 2019 I have no idea!

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search