Rescue media incremental image restore not working as expected

Author
Michiganbroadband
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Very newbie question here:
This is driving me a bit bonkers.  

Backup profile is "incrementals forever" on Windows 10 Pro.  

My backup media is a NAS. 
I am booting with up to date rescue media and attempting to restore an image to disk from the NAS.

For my test on the NAS I have the full backup and eight (8) daily incremental backup files. 
I choose the latest incremental file and try to restore the drive.   
The full backup and the "c:" Windows partition is about 100GB in size. 
I am restoring to a much bigger drive. 

Pretty simple task and *most* of the time it does not work as expected.
It will run through each stage (four stages in my case) 
Stage 3 combines/processes the full and incremental files before the restore.
Stage 4 says it's going to restore the 100GB OS partition.

Stage 4 completes in less than 10 seconds.  

And the entire restore operation start to finish takes about 15 seconds and says it has completed sucessfully. 
And of course it has NOT actually done a full restore in 15 seconds and the resulting disk does not contain a populated Operating system restoration. 

It does this MOST of the times I have tried it. 
I am testing this in Hyper-V   Smile   

*Sometimes* it works as expected and does the full restore and it works!  
By some unknown combination of rebooting, trying over and creating an entirely new Virtual Machine it finally works.  
But I have NOT been able to figure out why it does NOT work most of the time or what I have actually done different to get it to work.
I seem to be repeating the same steps each time.
1- Create a new VM. 
2- Configure the VM. 
3- Create a new VHD for the VM.
4- Boot the rescue media on the VM and attempt to restore the previously backed up image set.

I am NOT reusing the virtual disks or virtual disk files. 
I am creating a new one from scratch with a different name each time I try. 

I'm a little bit aware of the Rapid Delta Restore (RDR) feature and think this may somehow be getting falsely triggered and completing 
when it really should not (and can't possibly actually work) in my scenario. 
But is the only explanation that I have come up with in my mind on why the entire restore process is completing in 14 or 15 seconds without errors. 
And then has not actually really restored. 

Thought that I should post here first before opening up a ticket. 
I'm really new to using this product and it may be just be doing something stupid.

Thanks!! 
Steve

Edited 28 June 2020 5:31 PM by Michiganbroadband
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Implausibly fast restore times would indeed normally be Rapid Delta Restore -- if your restore job log includes the line "Looking for changes", then Reflect used RDR -- but it wouldn't actually be possible to use RDR when restoring onto a disk hosted from a brand new VHDX file.  You can forcibly disable RDR in the Advanced Options portion of the restore wizard just to see if that makes a difference, but if that changes things, then the question is why Reflect is trying to use it at all in this scenario.

Could you post the actual job log from one of the restore jobs?  The Rescue environment allows you to capture screenshots by clicking the camera icon in the taskbar, or if you're in a VM you can of course capture screenshots from the host OS.  Screenshots of your disk's partition layout both before and after the restore, which you can see by going to the Backup tab of Rescue, might be helpful as well.

Edited 28 June 2020 10:13 PM by jphughan
Michiganbroadband
Michiganbroadband
New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)New Member (4 reputation)
Thanks for the quick reply!   

I have since become very tasked with other things and I did finally get it to work after 4 or 5 tries. 
and no idea still why it worked or did not. 

I also had an entirely different issue trying to restore the non OS data drive. 
It would setup to restore the drive then "crash" with a "serious problem" and a dump file asking to send it to support. 
I did, and no reply from support yet. 
Also after rebooting and trying again it worked. 
I will be back to this problem and continue this thread. 

But it will probably be a couple of weeks. 

Steve
Nick
Nick
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)Macrium Representative (3.4K reputation)
Group: Administrators
Michiganbroadband - 1 July 2020 1:37 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!   

I have since become very tasked with other things and I did finally get it to work after 4 or 5 tries. 
and no idea still why it worked or did not. 

I also had an entirely different issue trying to restore the non OS data drive. 
It would setup to restore the drive then "crash" with a "serious problem" and a dump file asking to send it to support. 
Also after rebooting and trying again it worked. 
I will be back to this problem and continue this thread. 

But it will probably be a couple of weeks. 

Steve

Hi Steve

We can't seem to find this in our ticketing system. Did you receive a reply yet?

If not, would you mind opening a support ticket? We can request the .dmp file again and take a look.

https://www.macrium.com/support

Kind Regards

Nick - Macrium Support

Next Webinar

Edited 1 July 2020 8:14 PM by Nick
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login