Run Backups Sequentially

Author
Homer712
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Wasn't sure in which section to put this question, but seeing how I run the image backup first, here it is!

There are backup programs available that will run backups in sequence, Run backup #1, when done run backup #2, etc. I run an image backup every day. Full on every Sunday, a differential all other days. I also run a file/folder backup every day. Also a full on every Sunday, a differential all other days.

Know it's just a couple of clicks, but, is it possible to have Macrium run the image backup and then automatically run the file/folder backup. That way, one click and I can be off doing other stuff while the backups just run unattended.

Possible?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
You could build a basic batch file that does this. Just make two lines that call Reflect specifying the appropriate definition file, one line for each file. See this article. Make sure to run the batch file as administrator.

Or you could just schedule each job for the same time and they’ll run back to back anyway. Or if you want to control which runs first, schedule them 1 minute apart or something. Reflect will automatically queue each subsequent job until the preceding job completes.
Edited 27 June 2020 7:07 PM by jphughan
Homer712
Homer712
Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)Junior Member (57 reputation)
@jphughan

Thank you for the information and link to the article. But, although I've played around with a few batch files in the past, I'd like to make sure that when I put one together and run it, the very next big blue window I see doesn't say "Are you sure you want to format the hard drive." So, I thought I'd run the two commands I came up with by someone who really knows what their doing.

For the full image backup I have: reflect.exe [-e [-full] [Daily Image Backups.xml] ]
And for the differential image backup I have: reflect.exe [-e [-diff] [Daily Image Backups.xml] ]

So, on Sundays, to run my two full backups in sequence I have:
reflect.exe [-e [-full] [Daily Image Backups.xml] ]
reflect.exe [-e [-full] [Daily Folder Backups.xml] ]

And on weekdays, to run my two differential backups in sequence I have:
reflect.exe [-e [-diff] [Daily Image Backups.xml] ]
reflect.exe [-e [-diff] [Daily Folder Backups.xml] ]

How close did I come?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
I give you an A for effort and prudence, but unfortunately the execution is a bit lacking, albeit because Macrium's documentation in this case assumes some prior experience with working with the command line.  First, unless you'll be storing your batch file in the same folder as Reflect, you'll want to include the full path to Reflect.exe, not just the application name.  Same for the path to the definition file.  And second, brackets are used in documentation of command-line applications to indicate parameters that are optional.  They're not actually typed when those parameters are used.  And lastly, paths that contain spaces need to be encased in quotes.  So for reference, here is a valid syntax:

"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "C:\Users\MyUsername\Documents\Reflect\MyJob.xml"

The above would run a FULL backup every time it is executed.  (You can specify "-Full" if you want, but Reflect defaults to that if nothing is specified anyway.)  If you want a Diff or Inc, then add "-Inc" or "-Diff" after the "-w".

Edited 27 June 2020 10:43 PM by jphughan
Homer712
Homer712
@jphughan

Ah, the old "assume." I'm sure you would have initially been much more specific had I told you that you're dealing with a well seasoned citizen BigGrin In any event, your further explanation and sample script led me to success. Works slick!

On Sundays:
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "D:\Macrium Reflect\Daily Image Backups.xml"
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w "D:\Macrium Backups\Macrium Folder Backups.xml"
On Weekdays:
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w -Diff "D:\Macrium Reflect\Daily Image Backups.xml"
"C:\Program Files\Macrium\Reflect\reflect.exe" -e -w -Diff "D:\Macrium Backups\Macrium Folder Backups.xml"

I test ran both batch files with complete success and will be using them on a daily basis going forward. Thank you again!

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Excellent!  As for the specificity, it would have depended on how I read "well-seasoned".  If I had interpreted it that to mean "highly experienced", my first post here might have just said, "Use a batch file"!  In any case, glad it's working! Smile

Homer712
Homer712
@jphughan Have been running the above cmd scripts for a while now. Continue to work perfectly, although a few days ago I caught the word "ERROR" as the cmd window flew by. Today I was able to capture it in a screen shot. Just wondering if there's anything to be concerned about. Checked the log files and there are no errors for any runs.

Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Homer... I don't see the word "error" in your screenshot Wink
Froggie
Froggie
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Never mind, just saw it.  That's not a real error, that's just CBT finding that the $MFT has changed since the last time it dealt with it.  As such, it will now use the standard imaging method for this snapshot rather than the CBT data.  It also resets CBT's data collection to this time point so it may use it in the future (if it's not messed with, that is).

This is a CBT internal processing error when it finds out that the $MFT is not the same as it was the last time it looked.  At this point it switches to a different form of processing... your images are not affected as far as accuracy is concerned.

Edited 7 July 2020 12:19 PM by Froggie
Homer712
Homer712
@Froggie Thank you for the detailed explanation. I got as far as "That's not a real error." The rest was well above my pay grade BigGrin

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search