Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x00000000c000014d was encountered while Registry Writer was...

Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x00000000c000014d was encountered...
Author
GPinzone
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Backups have a green check, but when examining the logs, they include "Failed - 0x8000ffff - catastrophic failure - retrying without VSS writers" in red. Looking at the Event Viewer logs, I see:

Date:    6/26/2020 3:01:07 AM
Type:    Error
Event:    12344
Source:    VSS

Volume Shadow Copy Error: An error 0x00000000c000014d was encountered while Registry Writer was preparing the registry for a shadow copy. Check the Application and System event logs for any related errors.

Operation:
 OnFreeze event
 Freeze Event

Context:
 Execution Context: Registry Writer
 Execution Context: Writer
 Writer Class Id: {afbab4a2-367d-4d15-a586-71dbb18f8485}
 Writer Name: Registry Writer
 Writer Instance ID: {052f1028-5125-49c3-9925-802a15103a09}

I went through the steps in here: https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3276839

All the services were setup correctly and running and I performed the VSS fix. I still get this error.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
If you’ve already run Other Tasks > Fix VSS Problems and restarted, I’m not sure what to suggest here, but if your backups are throwing that error and still showing a green check mark rather than a yellow warning triangle, then you’re running a pre-7.2 version of Reflect. If you’re running SOME version of Reflect 7, that means you’re way behind on updates, so you might want to consider updating (then updating and retesting your Rescue Media). If you’re running Reflect 6, you posted this in the V7 section of the forum.
GPinzone
GPinzone
New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)
I did it a second time and rebooted and now it didn't throw that error. Strange!

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
Sometimes, VSS just "fails."  And may continue to fail until a reboot.  Happened to me last week.  A reboot cleared it up.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search