win10 / 2004 boot media

Author
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello — Not sure if this is hardware or a software issue –

I have 2 laptops that are about the same age an are old – circa the start of win7. I was able to get win 10 to run on both One of the 2 is at win10/2004 the other is win10/1909 (with the flag in win update that its not ready yet for 2004)

I have reflect running on both, at 4971. In addition to the rescue boot partition, I also have a flash drive too. I wanted to test the flash drive, so on the laptop running 2004, I got to the bios boot menu, selected the flash drive and got a “disk error” on the flash. I tried a second flash drive and that too failed with a disk error.

I then tried to boot from a iso, but I don’t think I waited long enough to see if it would boot from the cd

I then did the same test on the 1909 laptop with the flash drive and that boot’ed OK

Is there any known issues with win10/2004 and building (MBR) bootable media? Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
I don't know of any broad issues creating bootable media.  But a few questions:
  1. Since you mentioned MBR, I'm assuming both of these systems are Legacy BIOS systems rather than UEFI systems.  Is that correct?
  2. What file system is the flash drive using, i.e. FAT32 or NTFS?
  3. What Base WIM are you using for your Rescue Media?  WinRE 10 2004, WinPE 10 1709, etc.?
  4. Have you ever booted your Win10 2004 system from that specific flash drive before?  I've seen cases where certain PCs won't boot from certain flash drives even though those falsh drives work with other PCs and those PCs work with other flash drives.
  5. What happens if you build Rescue Media from the 1909 system onto that same flash drive, using either WinRE 10 1903 (there is no WinRE 1909, so Win10 1909 uses WinRE 10 1903) or WinPE 10 1709?

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)Proficient Member (256 reputation)
Since you mentioned MBR, I'm assuming both of these systems are Legacy BIOS systems rather than UEFI systems. Is that correct?

Yes

What file system is the flash drive using, i.e. FAT32 or NTFS?

Fat32

What Base WIM are you using for your Rescue Media? WinRE 10 2004, WinPE 10 1709, etc.?

winPE 10 / 1709

Have you ever booted your Win10 2004 system from that specific flash drive before?

No I don’t recall testing the flash at 2004 this is the first time on 2004

I've seen cases where certain PCs won't boot from certain flash drives even though those
flash drives work with other PCs and those PCs work with other flash drives.

What happens if you build Rescue Media from the 1909 system onto that same flash drive, using either WinRE 10 1903 (there is no WinRE 1909, so Win10 1909 uses WinRE 10 1903) or WinPE 10 1709?

Would it make sense to build the flash on 2004 using the WinRE? – If I do that would I also have to change the boot partition or can I just build the WinRE on just the flash drive?

Thanks

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Ok, if you're using WinPE 10 1709, then using WinRE 10 2004 as your Rescue Media environment isn't a possible cause.  WinPE 10 1709 definitely doesn't have any broad known issues as a bootable software environment.  That leaves how the flash drive was prepped and an issue with the flash drive itself.  To test the former, you could try building Rescue Media to the same flash drive from your 1909 system then testing that build on both systems.  If it still fails, you could try wiping the entire flash drive using the "clean" command in diskpart to completely reset it in order to eliminate anything 2004 might have done, and then try building Rescue Media onto it from 1909 again.  But I'm more inclined to suspect an interoperability issue between that system.  The test to confirm that would be to test a different flash drive.

Edited 26 June 2020 11:04 PM by jphughan
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
jphughan - 26 June 2020 11:04 PM
Ok, if you're using WinPE 10 1709, then using WinRE 10 2004 as your Rescue Media environment isn't a possible cause.  WinPE 10 1709 definitely doesn't have any broad known issues as a bootable software environment.  That leaves how the flash drive was prepped and an issue with the flash drive itself.  To test the former, you could try building Rescue Media to the same flash drive from your 1909 system then testing that build on both systems.  If it still fails, you could try wiping the entire flash drive using the "clean" command in diskpart to completely reset it in order to eliminate anything 2004 might have done, and then try building Rescue Media onto it from 1909 again.  But I'm more inclined to suspect an interoperability issue between that system.  The test to confirm that would be to test a different flash drive.

thanks for the info
Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
jphughan - 26 June 2020 11:04 PM

This is weird — I tried different combinations with different results. I tried to boot the 2004 system with the flash drive that I created on the 1909 system – and that worked — I was able to start the recovery environment

I then build the rec/env on the 1909 system using the flash drive that I used on the 2004 – that build OK, but when I tried to boot using it on the 2004 system, I did not work – I then tried one of the other usb ports and that worked — weird –

I can’t see how this would make a difference but the 2004 system boot drive is a 1TB ssd where the 1909 system is a 1TB hhd

As noted its old laptop — not sure how much time is has left — thanks for the help

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
The internal drive wouldn't affect the ability to boot from a USB device.  Some systems do however have different USB ports attached to different internal controllers, so that could explain why the system can boot from a flash drive while it's plugged into one USB port but not another.  That's somewhat less common on laptops than on desktops, but if the laptop has a mixture of USB 3.0 ports and USB 2.0 ports, then you might find that only the 2.0 ports can be used for booting, for example.

Frank Esposito
Frank Esposito
Proficient Member
jphughan - 30 June 2020 1:38 AM
The internal drive wouldn't affect the ability to boot from a USB device.  Some systems do however have different USB ports attached to different internal controllers, so that could explain why the system can boot from a flash drive while it's plugged into one USB port but not another.  That's somewhat less common on laptops than on desktops, but if the laptop has a mixture of USB 3.0 ports and USB 2.0 ports, then you might find that only the 2.0 ports can be used for booting, for example.

it does not have usb 3.0 ports  -- it was part of the generation of laptops that have eSATA/USB2.0  combo ports   -- I was able to use  the "express slot" to add a usb3 card.   
I think I will try next time to see if it would boot from  eSATA/USB port --- again, thanks for the info 

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search