Error Loading Backup Files

Author
JimR
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hello, I have Reflect on both a Windows 10 and Windows 7 computer. Most of my on line work is done on the Windows 10 system but I do have stuff on Windows 7 system that I want to continue to protect. Lately I have not been as punctual in checking my external hard drive on the Windows 7 system to see how my backups were doing. Yesterday I did check the hard drive and noticed quite a few of my backup files apparently were not backed up and there were error messages next to them indicating "Error Loading". I have a full backup scheduled each Sunday evening and Incremental backups scheduled for each weekday evening and Saturdays. I have attached a screen shot of the hard drive backups and marked up the Incremental and Full backups. I noticed that since 5/31/2020, all of the Full backups went fine except for one that didn't run at all (computer may not have been on). However, since 5/25/2020, all of the Incremental backups have the Error Loading message. I hope you can see this from the screen shot. Yesterday, 6/24/2020 at 11:12 A.M, I manually ran an Incremental backup and it backed up successfully. A regular backup was scheduled for 7:00 P.M. and it ran successfully also.
So, I don't know if the issue is with the hard drive itself or is something going on with Macrium Reflect. It's interesting though that the issue only seems to occur with the Incremental backups. Any help or enlightenment will be appreciated. Should I delete the suspect backups with the error messages from the hard drive? Thanks for any help or advice.
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
Just a piece of advice, as small as it may be.  I'd attempt to mount a backup with one of these Error Loading messages as a virtual drive.  See if it mounts correctly or if Reflect returns an error message.  If it returns an error message trying to mount the virtual drive, then that Incremental is probably corrupt.  If it does mount correctly as a virtual drive, it could still be corrupt, though.

JimR
JimR
Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)Junior Member (82 reputation)
dbminter - 25 June 2020 7:58 PM
Just a piece of advice, as small as it may be.  I'd attempt to mount a backup with one of these Error Loading messages as a virtual drive.  See if it mounts correctly or if Reflect returns an error message.  If it returns an error message trying to mount the virtual drive, then that Incremental is probably corrupt.  If it does mount correctly as a virtual drive, it could still be corrupt, though.

I will try that. Thanks
JimR
JimR
JimR - 25 June 2020 8:57 PM
dbminter - 25 June 2020 7:58 PM

I will try that. Thanks

Hi,
None of the back ups with the Error loading message will mount. I get the following message:So it looks like all of those back up attempts are corrupt.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
The reason they won't mount is because of the file name.  It ends with .error_loading instead of the .mrimg.  That file extension, .error_loading, is not one natively assigned to Reflect image files like ,mrimg is.

You could try to rename the files to remove .error_loading, but that might break some kind of retention chain policy.  Plus, you run the risk of overwriting existing files with the same name, but you'll be warned of that beforehand.  Or they may not work at all given the file names can't find the Full and previous Incrementals to append to/with.  Plus, with the .error_loading extension removed, you won't know which files, anymore, were saying error_loading.

Now, the big question is WHY the file extension .error_loading was added to the files.  I didn't realize Error Loading was in the actual file names.  I thought it was some kind of contextual information Reflect was providing for the files in the interface.  But, checking that screen shot again, I overlooked it was a Windows/File Explorer output.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
I would wait to hear from Macrium Support, or proactively open a support ticket with them, before renaming files.  Reflect does NOT depend on file names in order to figure out which backups belong in which set -- you can rename every backup in your set to completely unrelated name and Reflect will still know how they're all related -- so you won't mess up Reflect's operations, but you might well end up making it a lot harder for YOU to figure out which files are important and which aren't.

JimR
JimR
dbminter - 25 June 2020 10:34 PM
The reason they won't mount is because of the file name.  It ends with .error_loading instead of the .mrimg.  That file extension, .error_loading, is not one natively assigned to Reflect image files like ,mrimg is.

You could try to rename the files to remove .error_loading, but that might break some kind of retention chain policy.  Plus, you run the risk of overwriting existing files with the same name, but you'll be warned of that beforehand.  Or they may not work at all given the file names can't find the Full and previous Incrementals to append to/with.  Plus, with the .error_loading extension removed, you won't know which files, anymore, were saying error_loading.

Now, the big question is WHY the file extension .error_loading was added to the files.  I didn't realize Error Loading was in the actual file names.  I thought it was some kind of contextual information Reflect was providing for the files in the interface.  But, checking that screen shot again, I overlooked it was a Windows/File Explorer output.

When I go into Reflect and open the Restore tab, all the backups with the error loading as part of the name are missing. Only the successful Full backups and the more recent successful Incremental backups are listed. So it looks like Reflect doesn't "accept" the bad backups. Don't know what that means just reporting that's what I see in Reflect. I'm wondering about just deleting all of the backups with the Error Loading designation on the external hard drive and sort of starting over. Do you have any thoughts on that?
dbminter
dbminter
Master
I suppose if you are going to rename files to remove the .error_loading extension, you could append error_loading to the end of the file name before the .mrimg extension.  That way, you'd still have a mental note within the file name of which backup parts were problematic.  And, you could always rename those files back to .mrimg.error_loading because error_loading would still be in their file names, making sure you'd know which ones you named.

Still, before renaming files, probably best to wait for tech support on this one.

JimR
JimR
dbminter - 26 June 2020 12:05 AM
I suppose if you are going to rename files to remove the .error_loading extension, you could append error_loading to the end of the file name before the .mrimg extension.  That way, you'd still have a mental note within the file name of which backup parts were problematic.  And, you could always rename those files back to .mrimg.error_loading because error_loading would still be in their file names, making sure you'd know which ones you named.

Still, before renaming files, probably best to wait for tech support on this one.

How does Macrium Support get involved? Do you guys open a support ticket with them? I'm not familiar with that procedure.
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Generally, I wait until someone from tech support sees a post and its replies and asks me to submit a support ticket.  I've never opened one on my own without tech support asking me to do so first.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search