Backup files and folders in virtual drive

Author
MissMew
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I use Boxcryptor to encrypt the data I sync to Dropbox and have been backing up my Boxcryptor virtual drive (X:\) daily for well over a year. My backup is scheduled to run nightly and send emails on the status. It failed last night and I have tried to run the backup manually several times today. Each time, the backup fails with the error: Folder 'X:\Dropbox' could not be found. I am able to browse the files in this folder without issue. Any ideas what may have caused this problem? There have been no changes made to my laptop.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Check whether you're able to see your X drive using a file browser launched within Reflect itself.  A quick way to do that would be to go to the Restore tab and click "Browse for an image file or backup to restore".  I realize that's not what you're doing, but just see if the X drive is visible in that file browser.  The reason I ask is that Reflect runs under the SYSTEM account, and as such, depending on exactly how your application "exposes" its virtual drive, it might only be visible in your own user context rather than system-wide, in which case Reflect wouldn't be able to see it.  In terms of why the change occurred, have you installed a Boxcryptor update recently that might have changed how virtual drive mounting works?

MissMew
MissMew
New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)New Member (10 reputation)
jphughan - 24 June 2020 3:55 PM
Check whether you're able to see your X drive using a file browser launched within Reflect itself.  A quick way to do that would be to go to the Restore tab and click "Browse for an image file or backup to restore".  I realize that's not what you're doing, but just see if the X drive is visible in that file browser.  The reason I ask is that Reflect runs under the SYSTEM account, and as such, depending on exactly how your application "exposes" its virtual drive, it might only be visible in your own user context rather than system-wide, in which case Reflect wouldn't be able to see it.  In terms of why the change occurred, have you installed a Boxcryptor update recently that might have changed how virtual drive mounting works?

Thank you for responding so quickly.  Yes I am able to restore to the the X drive using the File and Folder Restore function. I actually did a test restore and it worked perfectly.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
Ok, I'm not sure how Reflect can restore to X:\Dropbox if it can't find it during a backup operation, unless maybe Boxcryptor is removing that folder from the VSS snapshots that Windows creates and that Reflect relies upon for making backups of live systems.  It is possible for applications to remove data from snapshots before they are made available to the application that requested them, but I admit that that's an unlikely explanation.

What happens if you edit your File & Folder backup definition file, select your source folder, and click "Edit folder"?  Can you still see it in that browser view?  If so, then other than the admittedly long-shot explanation above, I'm not sure why Reflect would be able to see your folder in the File & Folder job setup wizard but not when actually performing a backup.  Hopefully someone else will jump in, possibly someone with experience with Boxcryptor .  Macrium Support is active on these forums, fyi, so you may hear from them.  If not, you can submit a formal support ticket.  Good luck!

MissMew
MissMew
jphughan - 24 June 2020 7:07 PM
Ok, I'm not sure how Reflect can restore to X:\Dropbox if it can't find it during a backup operation, unless maybe Boxcryptor is removing that folder from the VSS snapshots that Windows creates and that Reflect relies upon for making backups of live systems.  It is possible for applications to remove data from snapshots before they are made available to the application that requested them, but I admit that that's an unlikely explanation.

What happens if you edit your File & Folder backup definition file, select your source folder, and click "Edit folder"?  Can you still see it in that browser view?  If so, then other than the admittedly long-shot explanation above, I'm not sure why Reflect would be able to see your folder in the File & Folder job setup wizard but not when actually performing a backup.  Hopefully someone else will jump in, possibly someone with experience with Boxcryptor .  Macrium Support is active on these forums, fyi, so you may hear from them.  If not, you can submit a formal support ticket.  Good luck!

Thanks again... Yes I can edit, remove x:\dropbox, add x:\onedrive and put x:\dropbox back in. I am baffled.
MissMew
MissMew
I have done some further testing:

1. I am able to run my existing unencrypted Dropbox backup task (virtual Drive XBigGrinropbox) MANUALLY.
2. I am to run SCHEDULED backups on C: 
3. I am still UNABLE to run SCHEDULED backups of X:\Dropbox.
4. Just cuz I installed EaseUS ToDo and scheduled a backup of X:\Dropbox. It worked without a hitch.

This annoys me enormously as I recently purchased a second license for Macrium Reflect and I see that my support has "expired". 

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
If EaseUS works even when scheduling backups, it may be because it's scheduling the backups to occur under your user credentials.  In that case, configure Reflect to do the same.  Go to Edit Defaults > User, uncheck the option to run backups as SYSTEM, enter your own user account's Windows password, and click OK.  Then retry a scheduled backup, which you can invoke manually by going to the Scheduled Backups tab, right-clicking the desired job, and selecting Run Now.  (This is NOT the same as doing this from the Backup Definition Files tab.)  If that works, just be aware that if you ever change your user account's Windows password, you'll have to update the stored password in Reflect, because scheduled backups will break until you do that.  This is one reason SYSTEM is the default.

And just fyi, Macrium Support often helps out on this forum even when people's support has expired, and in some cases they've even provided goodwill or best effort support to people who submit formal support tickets even if they don't have formal support contracts.  So enormous annoyance may not be warranted. Smile

Edited 8 July 2020 8:16 PM by jphughan
MissMew
MissMew
Thanks once more for your quick response.

I am now using my user credentials (an admin account).

The scheduled backup is still failing so I once again tested a scheduled backup of some files on C:\ and again this was a success. 

Interestingly, the log files for both tests show that it "successfully connects" as a different user (the original Admin ID I set up and the account used to install Macrium). This original account does not have access to the Boxcryptor drive (X:\).

I think my next move is going to be removing and reinstalling Macrium to see if I can get it to "forget" the old account.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
You're seeing a log entry about something "successfully connecting"?  That and attempts to connect with credentials should only appear when trying to connect to a network location.  Is Boxcryptor presenting its X drive as a mapped network drive?  Or are you backing up to a network location?  Can you post the entire job logs of a successful and failed job, except for your Reflect license key at the bottom of the logs?

No need to uninstall Reflect to remove credentials.  Just to Edit Defaults > Network.  And uninstalling won't remove those anyway unless you choose to delete all of your settings, which could be a bit of a pain to set up again.

Edited 8 July 2020 9:31 PM by jphughan
MissMew
MissMew
jphughan - 8 July 2020 9:30 PM
You're seeing a log entry about something "successfully connecting"?  That and attempts to connect with credentials should only appear when trying to connect to a network location.  Is Boxcryptor presenting its X drive as a mapped network drive?  Or are you backing up to a network location?  Can you post the entire job logs of a successful and failed job, except for your Reflect license key at the bottom of the logs?

Yes, I am backing up to drive attached to another PC on my LAN. This hasn't changed in at least a year.

Edit: modified attachments

Attachments
Success.txt (3 views, 2.00 KB)
Failure.txt (1 view, 2.00 KB)
Edited 8 July 2020 10:08 PM by MissMew
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login