Cloning HP factory installed HDD to non-factory installed Crucial SSD of same size

Cloning HP factory installed HDD to non-factory installed Crucial SSD...
Author
scopio
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I will be replacing the HDD (931GB TOSHIBA MQ04ABF100 (SATA )) on a HP Notebook - 15-da0997na with a Crucial MX500 CT1000MX500SSD1 1 TB SSD and upgrading the memory from 4GB to 8GB which is the maximum this laptop can have for a friend.
I will be cloning the TOSHIBA HDD to the Crucial MX500 SSD, are there any pitfalls that I should be aware off?
The HP Notebook - 15-da0997na is UEFI.
CPU Intel Pentium Silver N5000 CPU @ 1.10GHz
Memory 1 Slot Module Size 4GB
Memory Type DDR4 SDRAM
I have read on another forum,
“that there are issues when cloning a drive of a HP/Intel UEFI security routine, you get a "missing driver" message or words to that effect, which is UEFI looking for a specific sector on your hard drive that holds validation codes that allow your hard drive to boot. The solution posted was to change the BIOS to Legacy to allow the non-factory installed SSD to integrate with your laptop. You need to do this while your old hard drive is still installed, then re-boot to make the settings stick. THEN do your cloning, THEN swap out drives, and you should be good.”
Am I going to run into this issue, or will the cloning go smoothly using the default settings?
Also, the C: partition is the last but one partition on the HDD, can I move the last partition to the left as make the C: partition the last one?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
I’ve never heard of that issue you mentioned, and I’m skeptical of it. UEFI doesn’t involve looking at a specific sector for “validation codes”. UEFI boot options for local storage are a specific path to a particular file on a specific partition of a specific disk.

The partition currently after your C partition is probably the Windows Recovery partition. I don’t recommend swapping those around because if Windows ever needs a larger Recovery partition, it will get one by shrinking your C partition by the full amount needed for a new larger one, and then that one you put before the C partition during the clone will become dead weight. If you keep it as-is, then Windows can just incrementally shrink your C partition as it needs to incrementally increase the Recovery partition size.

But that means that in order to stage the clone optimally, you may want to refrain from just clicking Copy Selected Partitions. Instead, drag and drop your partitions one at a time working left to right, and after dragging down the C partition, click Cloned Partition Properties and resize it so that there’s enough free space after it to accommodate the Recovery partition. Then drag that down.

After the clone completes, I suggest shutting down the PC, disconnecting the source disk, and trying to boot. If it fails, boot into Rescue Media and run Fix Boot Problems. Then try again. After you get the new SSD booting, you can reconnect the source disk if desired. But if you want to repurpose it as a data disk, delete all existing partitions. Don’t just format the Windows partition.
Edited 20 June 2020 7:20 PM by jphughan
scopio
scopio
Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)Junior Member (64 reputation)
Thank you @jphughan.
I will follow your suggestions.
After the clone completes, I suggest shutting down the PC, disconnecting the source disk, and trying to boot
Will it boot from the destination disk even as it is connected by USB enclosure?

​​The source disk will not be used with this pc, I intend to wipe it and use it as an external drive in an enclosure. ​
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
Happy to help!

No, Windows does not support being booted from a storage device attached via USB. So if you’ll be performing the clone that way, then shut down, disconnect the source disk, install the new one internally, and try booting. And make sure you have working Rescue Media before you do this so that you can use it to run Fix Boot Problems if needed.

Good luck! Smile
Edited 20 June 2020 7:36 PM by jphughan
scopio
scopio
jphughan - 20 June 2020 7:36 PM
Happy to help!

No, Windows does not support being booted from a storage device attached via USB. So if you’ll be performing the clone that way, then shut down, disconnect the source disk, install the new one internally, and try booting. And make sure you have working Rescue Media before you do this so that you can use it to run Fix Boot Problems if needed.

Good luck! Smile

Thanks​ @jphughanSmile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search