Can’t safely eject hard drive, I suspect Image guardian as the cause.

Can’t safely eject hard drive, I suspect Image guardian as the cause.
Author
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
As title says, I cannot eject my backup drive when image guardian is enabled however when disabling it you can safely eject media.
If I leave guardian enabled the problem remains no matter how many restarts or shutdowns I make.
It seems to have been happening a while but cannot pinpoint when it started as I don’t eject the drive that often.
Tested this theory & yes when Image Guardian is enabled I cannot eject the drive using ‘safely eject drive’ whereas if I turn it off there’s no problem.
Any suggestions?
Edited 3 June 2020 4:44 PM by Virginia McGovern
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Virginia McGovern - 3 June 2020 12:21 PM
As title says, I cannot eject my backup drive when image guardian is enabled however when disabling it you can safely eject media.
If I leave guardian enabled the problem remains no matter how many restarts or shutdowns I make.
It seems to have been happening a while but cannot pinpoint when it started as I don’t eject the drive that often.
Tested this theory & yes when Image Guardian is enabled I cannot eject the drive using ‘safely eject drive’ whereas if I turn it off there’s no problem.
Any suggestions?

Hi @Bastet,

Thank you for your post and sorry that you are having problems with Macrium Image Guardian (MIG).
Safe removal of USB devices requires that all files stored on the device have been closed.
Under normal operation, MIG does not directly open files itself but instead filters requests to open files made by other processes.
This makes the results you are reporting very difficult to explain, however; Microsoft provides a tool called HANDLE that can be used to determine which files are open and the name of the process that opened them.
Please can you reproduce the safe removal failure, then run HANDLE from an elevated command prompt - specifying the drive letter of the USB device as a parameter e.g. "HANDLE D:\" and then share the results?

HANDLE can be downloaded from here:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

Instructions for opening an elevated command prompt can be found here:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/Running+an+elevated+command+prompt

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)Talented Member (126 reputation)
I must be doing something wrong as it doesn't work.
Same error using cmd prompt with admin.

I'm 100% sure it is Image Guardian as I have a new external drive which has the same problem once this feature was turned on.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Virginia McGovern - 4 June 2020 2:01 PM

I'm 100% sure it is Image Guardian as I have a new external drive which has the same problem once this feature was turned on.

You need to actually download the Handle application and then change your PowerShell session to the directory where it's located.  Your PowerShell session is in the \Windows\System32 directory, which is the default for elevated sessions.  Or I suppose you could copy Handle to that System32 directory.

And to run an application in a PowerShell window, the syntax would be .\Handle.exe.  It might be easier to use Command Prompt instead in this situation

Edited 4 June 2020 2:40 PM by jphughan
Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
jphughan - 4 June 2020 2:35 PM

You need to actually download the Handle application and then change your PowerShell session to the directory where it's located.  Your PowerShell session is in the \Windows\System32 directory, which is the default for elevated sessions.  Or I suppose you could copy Handle to that System32 directory.

And to run an application in a PowerShell window, the syntax would be .\Handle.exe.  It might be easier to use Command Prompt instead in this situation

I believe I have it now.

Thanks.
Virginia.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)Macrium Representative (321 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Virginia McGovern - 4 June 2020 4:14 PM
jphughan - 4 June 2020 2:35 PM

I believe I have it now.

Thanks.
Virginia.

Hi Virginia,

Thank you for sharing the output from handle.

Unfortunately, there is nothing obvious that would prevent safe removal of the device.

The files listed should all be closed by their owner process upon receipt of a safe removal request, which would allow the device to be removed safely.

In order for us to collect some more information, please could you open a support ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com and reference this post?

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
I have now done so. Smile

Thanks.
Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
Update:
It now looks like the problem is CBT, with this off I can safely disconnect the drive.
dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)Master (1.9K reputation)
Did you update Windows 10 to 2004 when it was released a few weeks ago?  There are some issues with CBT on 2004, like it turning randomly on and off, that myself and others have reported.  This could be another issue with CBT and 2004.  It would be a good data point for the techs if you could reveal if you'd updated Windows 10 to 2004 when this started for you.

Virginia McGovern
Virginia McGovern
Talented Member
I have but my problem appeared before 2004.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search