Old backup still running

Author
c3k
Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Folks,
I have a single, daily backup running. I have it set as a Grandfather, Father, Son schedule. I'm attaching an image of the backup folder.

I thought that each chain would start with a full backup, and then add differential or incremental as needed, based on my schedule. Yet, I'm seeing the oldest chain (green) still updating even though two other full backups have been created since then.

Is this an error?

Thanks,
Ken
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
That is Incremental consolidation.  Macrium has an animation demo of this concept here.  The older Incremental isn't getting an actual new backup, but the file gets updated because the only way for Reflect to purge old Incrementals without breaking all subsequent Incrementals (which would be the case if it simply deleted them) is to merge the oldest two Incrementals together.  That allows the oldest one to be purged without "breaking the chain".  But that operation counts as a file modification as far as Windows is concerned, which is why when using a backup strategy that involves Incremental consolidation (or Synthetic Full creation), sorting by Date Modified doesn't make a ton of sense.  However, if you view your backups within Reflect's Restore tab, the Date field there will be the date that the backup contained in that file was actually captured.

This consolidation operation would be noted in your job logs, fyi.

Edited 3 June 2020 2:34 PM by jphughan
c3k
c3k
Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)Junior Member (87 reputation)
Thanks, that makes sense. 
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search