Allow CTRL-ALT-M Hot Key Configurable in Reflect GUI Settings

Author
Reflecting Mirror
Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
See amended request at this link.

The current method of changing or disabling the CTRL-ALT-M hot key is difficult to find and currently requires a backup to be running to change the hot key.

I would like to request that Macrium to update Reflect to allow the CTRL-ALT-M hot key to be configurable from the Reflect GUI settings instead of the procedure below. Or at minimum, as an addition to the procedure below.

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW7/How+to+configure+the+ReflectMonitor+hot+key

Kind Regards.
Edited 5 June 2020 3:29 PM by Reflecting Mirror
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
I just wrote a post on why I suspect that isn't already the case in another thread, namely:

I suspect the reason the hotkey setting is in ReflectMonitor itself is because standard users (non-admin) by default are allowed to monitor running backups, but are NOT allowed to launch full Reflect. So if the hotkey setting was only available in Reflect, then standard users would not be able to customize the hotkey. In addition, the hotkey setting is customizable on a per-user basis, which is why the registry setting is stored in HKEY_CURRENT_USER, whereas Reflect's "general" settings are system-wide and are therefore stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I suppose it would be possible to have this setting shown in both ReflectMonitor and full Reflect, although it might be odd to have a per-user setting mixed among application-wide settings.

A better solution might be to use ReflectMonitor for all backup jobs rather than only those started as scheduled tasks, in which case the File menu with its Configure Hotkey option will be easier to access.

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)Junior Member (98 reputation)
The end user, particularly in the business environment, should be able to set their own hot keys due to different departments within the company use software that is not used by other departments which have their own hot keys for their applications.

Hence, it is arrogant of Macrium to decide that CTRL-ALT-M hot key is assigned to their Reflect product and to expect IT PC administrators and/or users to follow esoteric procedures to change/disable the hot key for the Macrium Reflect product.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (10K reputation)
Wow, ok.  Macrium has a hotkey combination enabled by default for an application component -- which is not at all unusual -- and changing it just requires clicking a File menu, then selecting literally the only option under that menu, then changing the only option available within that dialog box.  I don't consider that "arrogant" or "esoteric".  I grant that it's confusing that ReflectMonitor is used only for backups invoked via scheduled task, while backups launched interactively use a different activity window, particularly given that apart from the File menu, those two windows look identical.  But I still fail to see a major problem here.  Which of these scenarios is a problem here, or what scenario am I missing?
  • If you want to use the default hotkey with some other application and it's currently triggering ReflectMonitor, then use that hotkey to trigger ReflectMonitor once and change its hotkey combination as I just described.  I don't consider that any harder than opening Reflect -- which again non-admins by default can't do at all.
  • If you want to use the default hotkey with some other application and it's triggering that application and NOT ReflectMonitor, then open ReflectMonitor once by right-clicking the system tray icon and clicking Show.  I don't consider that particularly difficult or unintuitive.
I agree that end users should be able to set their own hotkeys -- which Macrium already allows.  I disagree that simply having a particular hotkey enabled by default is "arrogant" and that their mechanism for changing the hotkey is "esoteric".

Edited 2 June 2020 7:26 PM by jphughan
Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
It is called ease of use. Not everyone eats, sleeps and breathes Reflect.

When I had reinstalled Reflect due to the scheduled backup running a day early in an attempt to troubleshoot that issue, I had to refer to my custom documentation to change the Reflect hot key which interfered with my other application.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
While it might be nice if we had a world where every application developer could design interfaces that were completely intuitive to every single user because every user had the same expectations and assumptions, that's not the world we live in.  I would argue that moving this single per-user setting into Edit Defaults, which is otherwise entirely system-wide settings, would not be intuitive.  But I obviously have different expectations and beliefs than you do -- which is precisely WHY it isn't realistic to expect an application to be intuitive to everybody.  I don't think that it's realistic to expect never to have to consult documentation, or to consider any occasion where you have to do so an "ease of use" problem.  But if you feel strongly about it, maybe post in the Wish List section instead?

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
My statement of arrogant is due to Macrium enables the CTRL-ALT-M hot key by default. Other third party applications I have used over the years allow the user to setup the hot key(s) for their applications which have to be enabled or their hot key(s) only take effect while actively using their application.

I am certain that most users would expect to find the Reflect hot key setting in the Reflect GUI's settings vs this nightmare.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
We have rather different definitions of nightmare.  If I pressed a hotkey and the window that popped up had a menu bar, that menu bar would be the first place I would look for how to configure it.  But again, different expectations and assumptions.

Hotkeys being enabled by default isn't unusual -- just look at how many hotkeys Windows has, most of which can't be reconfigured or even disabled -- so if that's all it takes for you to consider a company "arrogant", you must have a long list.

Reflecting Mirror
Reflecting Mirror
Windows OS has had shortcuts, aka hot keys for a very long time associated with their operating system.

Many shortcuts are standardized like CTRL-C for copy, etc.

There is a big difference between OS hot keys and third party applications enabling their hot keys by default that are system wide verses only effecting their application.
Drac144
Drac144
Expert
Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)Expert (862 reputation)
I am wondering if this (and similar) issues could be handled during the installation process.  Just as we are given the option to browse for a folder in which to install Reflect, we can be presented with a list of system level hot-keys that will be added.  A checkbox next to each (defaulted to ON) will allow the user to a) be notified that the key will be added and b) given the option of NOT using it. .

I used a lot of hot-keys during the early days of Windows (because I was used to them from DOS) but slowly got in the habit of using mouse based actions - except for very basic keys like Ctrl-C. I do my best to avoid hot-keys requiring more than 2 fingers.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search