CBT turning on and off for Windows partition after latest Reflect update/Windows 10 2004 update

Author
dbminter
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Someone else I was commenting on their posts about CBT after the latest Windows 10 2004 update said something similar, but I've noticed something else.

After updating to the latest Reflect version released within the last few days and Windows 10 to 2004, CBT on the Windows partition keeps turning itself on and off.  It seems every alternate day, CBT Init Success appears in the log and then disappears.  Enable Changed Block Tracker CANNOT be selected.  Selecting it does nothing and Enable Changed Block Tracker is still the option.  The running man icon is not visible for Windows, so it's not enabled.

Does tech support want me to open a ticket on this so they can investigate?

I don't know if it matters, but I have a Samsung NVME SSD where Windows is residing, which was pointed out in that other thread about CBT not working on their Windows partition on their Samsung NVME SSD.  I think they said something about installing a Samsung driver, instead of the Microsoft one, and CBT worked again, but I don't know which driver I have or how to check if I have the Microsoft one installed.

Thanks!

JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)Macrium Representative (326 reputation)
Group: Moderators
dbminter - 31 May 2020 9:58 PM
Someone else I was commenting on their posts about CBT after the latest Windows 10 2004 update said something similar, but I've noticed something else.

After updating to the latest Reflect version released within the last few days and Windows 10 to 2004, CBT on the Windows partition keeps turning itself on and off.  It seems every alternate day, CBT Init Success appears in the log and then disappears.  Enable Changed Block Tracker CANNOT be selected.  Selecting it does nothing and Enable Changed Block Tracker is still the option.  The running man icon is not visible for Windows, so it's not enabled.

Does tech support want me to open a ticket on this so they can investigate?

I don't know if it matters, but I have a Samsung NVME SSD where Windows is residing, which was pointed out in that other thread about CBT not working on their Windows partition on their Samsung NVME SSD.  I think they said something about installing a Samsung driver, instead of the Microsoft one, and CBT worked again, but I don't know which driver I have or how to check if I have the Microsoft one installed.

Thanks!

Hi @dbminter,

Yes, please open a ticket at https://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post) and we will investigate this for you.

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)Master (2K reputation)
Here's that other thread I mentioned relating to the Samsung NVME SSD:

https://forum.macrium.com/36668/RE-CBT-cannot-be-started#36757

DSperber
DSperber
Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)
dbminter - 31 May 2020 9:58 PM

Device Manager -> Storage controllers, right-click -> Properties -> driver tab 

That is where you will see whether you are using (a) the "MS NVMe Express" (I believe that's what it was named) Microsoft version of the generic NVMe driver, or (b) the "Samsung NVMe Controller" version of the driver.

You would have had to have manually retrieved the Samsung driver from their download page and installed it yourself, since it doesn't get applied through Windows Updates.  Version 3.3 is the latest Samsung NVMe driver.

dbminter
dbminter
Master
I tried what you said but here's no Driver tab.  At least on Windows 10 2004.  When I right click on Storage Controllers and select Properties, there's just a General tab that says Storage controllers.

Expanding the Storage Controllers tree, there are 3 listings.  Intel (R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller, Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, and Virtual CloneDrive.  The only one I don't know what it does is the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.  Is that the one you mean?  If I right click on Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, there is a Driver tab.

Pertinent Driver tab info:

Provider: Microsoft
Driver date: 06/21/2006
Driver version: 10.0.19041.1

Now, in Device Manager, under Disk Drives, there's a listing for my SSD.  The Driver tab info for that is the same as the one listed above.  Is this driver the one I'd update with the Samsung one?

dbminter
dbminter
Master
I tried running that 3.3 driver update but it wouldn't install.  When executed, it says Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected.  Connect the Device and try again.  However, the device does appear to be connected, at least as far as I can make out.  The SSD is recognized in Windows.  The SSD according to Device Manager under Disk Drives is PM981 NVMe Samsung 256 GB.  I would guess NVMe means NVM Express.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see the problem.  The release notes for the 3.3 package says it's for NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.  My SSD is apparently PM981.

EDIT 2: Did some more digging online, and it appears to in order to even install the SSD driver from Samsung, I'd need to reinstall Windows because I'd have to change the BIOS from RAID to ACHI.  I know my internal optical drive is strangely configured on RAID and it appears Dell shipped this PC from the factory with installation in RAID mode.  Although I also found people saying NVMe drives don't apply to RAID/ACHI, so, who knows?

EDIT 3: Looks like I'll have to wait for Macrium tech support to address this issue with the Microsoft driver, if it even applies here as possibly stated in the other thread I posted, because my SSD is apparently some kind of OEM.

Edited 1 June 2020 10:49 PM by dbminter
DSperber
DSperber
Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)Junior Member (72 reputation)
dbminter - 1 June 2020 9:27 PM
I tried what you said but here's no Driver tab.  At least on Windows 10 2004.  When I right click on Storage Controllers and select Properties, there's just a General tab that says Storage controllers.

Expanding the Storage Controllers tree, there are 3 listings.  Intel (R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller, Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, and Virtual CloneDrive.  The only one I don't know what it does is the Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller.  Is that the one you mean?  If I right click on Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller, there is a Driver tab.

Now, in Device Manager, under Disk Drives, there's a listing for my SSD.  The Driver tab info for that is the same as the one listed above.  Is this driver the one I'd update with the Samsung one?

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I assumed you would expand the "Storage controllers" item, which is simply a "category". That's not where the individual devices and their drivers are presented.  You have to expand the category (by clicking on the arrow to the left) in order to see the category's devices individually, which apparently you then did on your own.

Now NONE the three devices you show inside of "Storage controllers" is what I was expecting.  And that's because your machine BIOS is set up for RAID, not AHCI (as you state in your next post).  I didn't know you were using RAID.  That is the Intel RST device you've identified.  The Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller and Virtual CloneDrive devices are not relevant to this discussion (but are valid).

The Samsung NVMe Controller driver, had it been installed, would have (as you point out) have required AHCI mode, not RAID. Given that you are RAID, forget about the Samsung driver.

The SSD shown in Device Manager under "Disk drives" category..., its driver is from Microsoft. That isn't where the Samsung driver would have shown up, which would have been under "Storage Controllers"..

dbminter
dbminter
Master
Ah, I see.  That's why it didn't show up.  Because Dell configured this PC out of the factory for RAID.  Which I always thought was stupid of them.

DSperber
DSperber
dbminter - 1 June 2020 10:36 PM
I tried running that 3.3 driver update but it wouldn't install.  When executed, it says Samsung NVM Express Device is not connected.  Connect the Device and try again.  However, the device does appear to be connected, at least as far as I can make out.  The SSD is recognized in Windows.  The SSD according to Device Manager under Disk Drives is PM981 NVMe Samsung 256 GB.  I would guess NVMe means NVM Express.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see the problem.  The release notes for the 3.3 package says it's for NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO.  My SSD is apparently PM981.

EDIT 2: Did some more digging online, and it appears to in order to even install the SSD driver from Samsung, I'd need to reinstall Windows because I'd have to change the BIOS from RAID to ACHI.  I know my internal optical drive is strangely configured on RAID and it appears Dell shipped this PC from the factory with installation in RAID mode.  Although I also found people saying NVMe drives don't apply to RAID/ACHI, so, who knows?

I have a Lenovo T495 laptop, which also came with a PM981 Samsung NVMe SSD.  If you go to Device Manager and expand "Disk drives" to show it, it will probably appear as something like SAMSUNG MZVLB512HBJQ-000L7 or similar. That's what my own PM981 looks like.

But of course I also AM running AHCI in the BIOS (i.e. the drive is just a drive running "regular normal disk", not RAID). And I have run the Samsung 3.3 driver install on my T495 (since I can, because it's running AHCI) which appears in the expanded "Storage controllers" of Device Manager.

So here is my own Device Manager info, from my T495.  Note what my PM981 looks like in "Disk drives", and what the Samsung NVMe device/driver looks like in "Storage Controllers" (because I run AHCI, not RAID):

Again, I wasn't aware that you are running RAID. So all of the Samsung-related driver info I provided isn't relevant to your situation.

Edited 2 June 2020 12:06 AM by DSperber
dbminter
dbminter
Master
It looks like Macrium identified a change in the way Windows 10 shuts itself down in the 2004 refresh.  Their latest build of the CBT driver they supplied me has been working fine thus far.  So, the fix for this should be implemented in the next update to Reflect.  I will keep an eye on my CBT init successes to make sure they're still appearing in Incrementals, in case it pops up again like it was doing before.  It would enable itself on Windows and then on a restart disable itself.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search