Ex-fAT and Macrium Image Guadian

Author
barryberkov
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
It appears that the Image Guardian function doesn't work if the file is on a disk that is formatted ex-FAT.   This is implied in the descriptive imformation about Image Guardian.  Can someone confirm this?

It seems to me that if Reflect doesn't support anythiung but NTFS disks, users ought to be notified.   Ransomeware could delete or encrupty a user's backup.   New Seagate drives may come formattted ex-FAT and should be refortmatted to NTFS before using them to store backups.  It would good if the program were modified so that it does handle disks that are not NTFS. 
Edited 31 May 2020 9:38 PM by barryberkov
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
That's correct.  I believe -- but am not certain -- that Image Guardian relies on some functionality built into Windows that itself only works on NTFS volumes, in which case that limitation would stem from a dependency on a non-Macrium component.  But even if that weren't the case, given that exFAT has been around since Vista and as you say is sometimes used as a default file system these days because it's the only modern file system that is read/write on Windows, Linux, and macOS without any third-party software required, my guess is that if getting Image Guardian working on exFAT wouldn't involve significant additional challenges over getting it working on NTFS, then it would have been done already.

But I'm not sure how you would propose to notify users.  I personally think it would be annoying to be told, "These volumes are not protected by Image Guardian" all the time.  Reflect already defaults to enabling Image Guardian on any destinations where it's possible, and the "Create a backup" tab that is shown when Reflect is first launched shows an Image Guardian badge for any volume that is protected -- and therefore its absence on exFAT volumes (and anywhere else) would indicate lack of protection.  I personally think it makes much more sense to consider ransomware a threat that is NOT protected against until you have positive confirmation to the contrary, not assume that you're protected unless specifically warned otherwise.

As for your last sentence that, "It would good if the program were modified so that it does handle disks that are NTFS," Image Guardian already does handle NTFS disks.  Was there a "not" missing in that sentence?

Edited 31 May 2020 7:10 PM by jphughan
barryberkov
barryberkov
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 31 May 2020 7:08 PM
That's correct.  I believe -- but am not certain -- that Image Guardian relies on some functionality built into Windows that itself only works on NTFS volumes, in which case that limitation would stem from a dependency on a non-Macrium component.  But even if that weren't the case, given that exFAT has been around since Vista and as you say is sometimes used as a default file system these days because it's the only modern file system that is read/write on Windows, Linux, and macOS without any third-party software required, my guess is that if getting Image Guardian working on exFAT wouldn't involve significant additional challenges over getting it working on NTFS, then it would have been done already.

But I'm not sure how you would propose to notify users.  I personally think it would be annoying to be told, "These volumes are not protected by Image Guardian" all the time.  Reflect already defaults to enabling Image Guardian on any destinations where it's possible, and the "Create a backup" tab that is shown when Reflect is first launched shows an Image Guardian badge for any volume that is protected -- and therefore its absence on exFAT volumes (and anywhere else) would indicate lack of protection.  I personally think it makes much more sense to consider ransomware a threat that is NOT protected against until you have positive confirmation to the contrary, not assume that you're protected unless specifically warned otherwise.

As for your last sentence that, "It would good if the program were modified so that it does handle disks that are NTFS," Image Guardian already does handle NTFS disks.  Was there a "not" missing in that sentence?

Yes...there was a "not" missing and I corrected it. As for notification  that an image is not protected, it might be enough to give a notice at the start of a backup and after it completes.
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
barryberkov - 31 May 2020 9:43 PM
Yes...there was a "not" missing and I corrected it. As for notification  that an image is not protected, it might be enough to give a notice at the start of a backup and after it completes.

The Image Guardian state of the destination is noted in the job log a few lines below the bold line that says "Starting Image" (or "Starting Backup" for F&F backups).  But given that running scheduled backups unattended is a major use case, I personally don't think seeing a notification with every backup to a given destination makes sense.  But if you feel strongly about it, consider posting in the Wish List section.

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search