CBT cannot be started

Author
Ulrich_K
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
After upgrading from Windows 10 1909 to 2004 (May update) CBT cannot be started on the system partition C:.

I have reinstalled the complete program with reinstalling CBT without any success.
JamieW
JamieW
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)Macrium Representative (349 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Ulrich_K - 29 May 2020 12:14 PM
After upgrading from Windows 10 1909 to 2004 (May update) CBT cannot be started on the system partition C:.

I have reinstalled the complete program with reinstalling CBT without any success.

Hi @Ulrich_K,

Please can you open a support ticket at http://helpme.macrium.com (referencing this post) so that we can arrange to collect some more information?

Kind regards,

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
That happened to me, too, after my first backup post updating to Windows 10 2004.  It eventually resumed.

And sometimes, well, CBT just stops working on the Windows partition.  It happened to me once before.  It just stopped working for all subsequent backups and then resumed again a day or 2 later.  It happened the other day as well.  But, it resumed again after only a few backups.

CBT is a, well, sometimes iffy feature.

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)Macrium Hero (2.3K reputation)
Oh, something you can try in the meantime.  I just had this problem pop up today with Windows no longer CBT Init Success in the log, meaning CBT, though enabled, wasn't working.  However, I updated Reflect to the latest version and updated the boot menu option.  I tested booting the boot menu option and on my next Incremental on restarting Windows, CBT Init Success seemed to resume working.  On the next Incremental, it resumed working.

So, I would recommend trying to boot from the boot menu or from the rescue media might work, too, and do two Incremental/Differentials in a row after returning to Windows from the rescue environment.  The first backup to reset CBT because of the booting into the rescue environment and the 2nd one to test whether CBT Init Success shows up in the log.  See if you have success with that.

Ulrich_K
Ulrich_K
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
I tried your recommendations. First I thought it was successful, but after a restart the same problem.
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
I've had this happen before.  In fact, I even restored an image where CBT was working before on the Windows partition.  I even checked the log to make sure.  But, even on that restored partition where CBT was working for Windows, it DIDN'T resume.

Tech support asked for some support ticket information and determined it was a removable device that had not been removed properly.  I couldn't explain it because I always Eject my flash drives, which are the only removable storage I use that have the Eject option available.  That was the instance where a day or 2 later, CBT resumed working out of the clear blue for Windows.

Ulrich_K
Ulrich_K
My system drive is a ssd from Samsung (Nvme). After installing the ssd driver from Samsung all was solved. CBT work as it should - strange.

Tomorrow I will uninstall this driver to look what happens with the Microsoft driver
dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
Interesting.  Mine is a Samsung NVME SSD, too.  Whenever Windows is affected, my other partitions on a USB HDD aren't, which might explain why they weren't. 

dbminter
dbminter
Macrium Hero
How did you install the Samsung driver?  Was it the 3.3 NVMe package?  I tried running the EXE for the 3.3 package, but it wouldn't install because it says an NVM Express device was not connected.

EDIT: Oh, I think I see the problem on my end. The release notes for the 3.3 package says it's for NVMe SSD 970 PRO, 970 EVO, 970 EVO Plus, 960 PRO, 960 EVO and 950 PRO. My SSD is apparently PM981.

EDIT 2: Did some more digging online, and it appears to in order to even install the SSD driver from Samsung, I'd need to reinstall Windows because I'd have to change the BIOS from RAID to ACHI. I know my internal optical drive is strangely configured on RAID and it appears Dell shipped this PC from the factory with installation in RAID mode.

Edited 1 June 2020 10:45 PM by dbminter
Ulrich_K
Ulrich_K
My ssd is the Samsung NVMe 960 Pro. So I have no problems to install the 3.3 NVMe package from Sansung.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search