Best Practices - Install Site Mgr when M Reflect is already Installed

Author
Stewart Ives
New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)New Member (45 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
All,

I have noticed this in past Site Mgr installs where I already have M Reflect Server installed, licensed, and running.

As I don't install Site Mgr often I generally limp though it but now find time to post a Best Practices question.

Based on past experience I take it the optimal install of Site Mgr is to  first DISABLE any backup jobs you may have on the installed Macrium Reflect, take notes of the backup you have, time, drives, backup type, etc, and then duplicate that in Site Mgr after you install the Site Mrg Agent to the PC/Server you are installing Site Mgr to. Also carry the license into Site Mgr so you can license your Agent.

Basically that's it. I'm guessing I'm not correct on my Best Practice above but I put it out there for discussion.

-stew
Alex
Alex
Macrium Representative
Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)Macrium Representative (515 reputation)
Group: Moderators
Stewart Ives - 27 May 2020 12:34 PM
All,

I have noticed this in past Site Mgr installs where I already have M Reflect Server installed, licensed, and running.

As I don't install Site Mgr often I generally limp though it but now find time to post a Best Practices question.

Based on past experience I take it the optimal install of Site Mgr is to  first DISABLE any backup jobs you may have on the installed Macrium Reflect, take notes of the backup you have, time, drives, backup type, etc, and then duplicate that in Site Mgr after you install the Site Mrg Agent to the PC/Server you are installing Site Mgr to. Also carry the license into Site Mgr so you can license your Agent.

Basically that's it. I'm guessing I'm not correct on my Best Practice above but I put it out there for discussion.

-stew

Hi Stewart,

I'll break things down into scheduled backups and licensing for ease! There are a couple of options for you on both, Site Manager should work correctly with any combination -
Schedules
Option 1 - Scheduling locally
You can leave your schedules running locally, just using Site Manager to monitor and report on the backups - this is the simplest option, but it does mean you have to got back to the agent to change the scheduling. If you've only got a couple of servers backing up, it's the simplest option.

Option 2 - Scheduling through Site Manager
You can also do as you suggest, and deactive the local scheduling and create Site Manager schedules and backup definitions for the computers. This allows you to change the scheduling or do backups without connecting to the agent at all. Site Manager backups will also manage things like limiting the number of concurrent backups to a single repository.

Licenses
Option 1 - Reflect licenses
Again, the easiest option is just to leave standalone Reflect installed with it's license key. When the agent is installed and connected to Site Manager, it will detect that standalone license and no additional licensing is needed to manage that computer in Site Manager. This is the easiest option if you've already got standalone Site Manager installs - it also means that you get full standalone Reflect functionality on the computer (including viBoot, MIG etc). It's also required for Server Plus licenses.

Options 2 - Transfer your license to Site Manager
You can remove the license from the standalone Reflect and enter it as an Agent Key in Site Manager. This has the advantage of having all your licenses in one place and automating the process of licensing individual computers. So if you decommission a computer and replace it with a new one, you can just drop the old computer from Site Manager and add the new one without any license key activation/deactivation.
If you take this route, you can also uninstall Reflect - the Site Manager Agent's embedded Reflect version allows manual scheduling, restore, building rescue media/boot menus etc and running ad hoc backups. That means you don't have to keep Reflect up to date on each computer, just keep Site Manager up to date and it will keep the Agents up to date.

Hope this is helpful!

Kind Regards,

Alex

Macrium Development

Next Webinar

See our reviews on

Trustpilot Logo
Trustpilot Stars

GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...