Clone SSD To A New Computer

Author
Dypsis
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
I am building a new desktop computer as my current one is getting a bit tired.
I have been thinking of cloning the system SSD in my old computer to my new SSD in my new computer.

Obviously, it is different hardware, so I am expecting some driver issues.
Also, the new computer will have a larger SSD, so I don't want to be left with free space on the new SSD.
If this can all be done in the same process, it would be great.
I am also expecting some activation issues with Windows 10 and some other software.

Do you have a process for doing this?
Thanks for your suggestions.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
The Macrium KB article for cloning a disk here will cover the clone operation, including how to specify partitions resizing during the "staging" phase, which will be helpful if the partition you want to resize is not the last one on the disk.

Beyond that, after the clone completes, make sure that the new disk is connected internally to the new PC (if you ran the clone itself on the old PC) and I'd also disconnect the source disk for the next step.

Boot your new PC into Rescue Media with the new disk connected and run Macrium ReDeploy to allow Reflect to adjust the cloned Windows instance to make it bootable on the new PC's hardware.  Make sure you get the latest version of Reflect first, because the newest release that just came out made an improvement to ReDeploy.

After that, try booting your new PC from your new SSD.  If it works, you'll still need to install other drivers since ReDeploy just focuses on making changes to boot-critical drivers in order to get Windows to start, then the rest is up to you.  If your system does NOT boot, go back to Rescue Media and try running the Fix Boot Problems wizard.

As for activation, as long as the new PC has a license for the same version and edition of Windows (e.g. Win10 Home vs. Pro), then even if your system falls out of activation, you should be able to run the activation troubleshooter to get it reactivated.  Or if you have a Windows license associated with your Microsoft account, then you should be able to assign that license to your new PC by linking your Microsoft account to that new PC.  If your new PC does not have a license for the same version and edition of Windows, then yes you'll probably have a problem.

Edited 24 May 2020 1:01 AM by jphughan
Dypsis
Dypsis
Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)Junior Member (60 reputation)
Thanks for that JP.
Yes, I will be using the same version of Windows 10.

I'll see how I go.
I have cloned system drives when upgrading drives for the same PC, but never for a different PC.

Edit: So, in relation to the extra size of the new SSD, I just have to drag it to the right to fill up the free space. Is that right?
I don't wish to create any other partition on that drive.

Edited 24 May 2020 2:02 AM by Dypsis
Dypsis
Dypsis
My old computer is an MBR disk. For a newer, it should be GPT.
What will happen there?

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (12K reputation)
@Dypsis To resize a partition during staging, you need to drag and drop the partition from Source to Destination, then select it in the Destination section and click "Cloned Partition Properties" to specify a new size, as demonstrated in Steps 4 and 5 of that KB article I linked.  If the partition you want to extend is the last partition on disk, then technically you could do this afterward, but sometimes people have one or more Recovery partitions after their C partition, in which case you need to extend beforehand, otherwise you'll have one or more Recovery partitions sitting between your C partition and the free space you wanted to allocate to that partition.  In the latter case, you have to resize your C partition on the destination BEFORE dragging down any subsequent partitions, so just set the new size to a value that leaves enough space for any remaining partitions you'll need to drag down.  Reflect allows you to specify a partition size either in terms of actual size or how much free space to leave after it, which is a helpful capability here.

In terms of MBR vs. GPT, that won't be automatic, but Macrium has a KB article for a custom restore mechanism that will address that here.  So your full plan here will be:

1. Follow Steps 1-10 of the MBR to GPT custom restore KB article, i.e. the section for how to prep your custom disk.
2. When staging the restore, follow the steps in the cloning KB article I linked earlier, taking care to a) drag and drop all partitions from the source to destination, working left to right, and b) preserve the existing two small partitions on the destination that you'll have created just beforehand.  Again, remember to resize your C partition at this point.
3. If this isn't already the case, make sure that before you proceed, you are booted into Rescue Media on your new PC, that your clone source disk is disconnected, and that your new disk is connected.  Also make sure that you are booted into Rescue Media in UEFI mode, which you'll be able to tell by checking the title bar at the very top of your Rescue Media.  If it says "[UEFI]" at the end, you're good to go.
4. After the restore completes, run Fix Boot Problems.
5. Run ReDeploy.

Edited 25 May 2020 12:26 AM by jphughan
Dypsis
Dypsis
Thanks for that JP.
These are my existing OS disk partitions on my old computer.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Ok, in your case you should be able to skip Partition 1 when performing the clone.  MBR disks set up for Legacy BIOS booting tend not to have that partition since older Windows versions didn't always set that up for Legacy BIOS installations, but the FAT32 partition you'll be creating manually to set up the disk for UEFI should be serving that purpose on your new disk.  So I'd just leave that one off, and therefore when you stage the clone, drag the C partition down to the right of the two existing partitions you'll already have on your destination from the manual prep work, set its size to leave 500 MB free, and then drag down that Recovery partition.

Edited 25 May 2020 12:28 AM by jphughan
Dypsis
Dypsis
Excellent info JP.
Thank you very much.

Dypsis
Dypsis
Would ReDeploy do this job?

ReDeploy a System to New Hardware

Edited 31 May 2020 5:54 AM by Dypsis
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Not all of it. I mentioned running ReDeploy as the last step in the process I laid out in an earlier post, but it won’t automatically do the rest — otherwise I would have written a one-step process that just said “Run ReDeploy”. Smile
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search