Reinstating Macrium Reflect configuration after a Windows clean install

Author
ric.evans
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
Hi,
I am surprised this is not covered anywhere. If it is I have not been able to find it.

After problems updating Windows 10 from version 18xx tp 1909, Windows refused to update. A clean install was the only solution.

I tried to restore from a system image, after the clean install, but that simply took me back to the previous version of Windows.

Now I have a clean install of Windows, all my data files have been reinstated. It is time to restart making Macrium Reflect's backups. Macrium Reflect requires a lot of configuration, so the obvious procedure is to take the configuration files from my previous installation. But where are they? I can find many directories in System, AppData and Documents that seem to contain configuration information for Macrium Reflect. Which ones do I copy across?

Any help and pointers as to which files I can copy to reinstate my previous configuration, without having to labouriously reenter all the config information, would be gratefully received.

Edited 23 May 2020 12:40 AM by ric.evans
jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
It depends on what specific configuration you're talking about.  For your backup definition files that describe the jobs you had, those are XML files that are by default stored in your user profile's Documents folder in a subfolder named "Reflect".  But if you're making image backups as it sounds like you were and you performed a clean install, then you'll need to set up a new image backup job anyway because the unique identifiers of your partitions will all be new after a clean install.  I suppose you could restore the old file and then edit it in order to select the brand new partitions on your disk if you had a lot of OTHER custom configurations in your backup job, but in most image backup job cases it's easier to just set up the job again.  File & Folder backup jobs might be another story if you had a lot of folder selections and complex inclusion/exclusion filters.

Note however that even if you reimport your definition files, you'll need to set up any schedules again, because definition files themselves don't store schedule information.  The schedules exist purely as Windows Task Scheduler tasks.

In terms of application-wide settings, those are mostly stored in the registry, but exporting registry settings from one installation and reimporting onto another one doesn't always work as planned.  Same goes for content in the ProgramData folder (which is sort of a system-wide AppData folder), although not quite to the same extent.  I don't see any Macrium or Reflect folders in my own user profile's AppData folder. In any case, here again it might be easier to just configure your preferences manually again.

ric.evans
ric.evans
New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)New Member (5 reputation)
jphughan - 23 May 2020 3:07 AM
It depends on what specific configuration you're talking about.  For your backup definition files that describe the jobs you had, those are XML files that are by default stored in your user profile's Documents folder in a subfolder named "Reflect".  But if you're making image backups as it sounds like you were and you performed a clean install, then you'll need to set up a new image backup job anyway because the unique identifiers of your partitions will all be new after a clean install.  I suppose you could restore the old file and then edit it in order to select the brand new partitions on your disk if you had a lot of OTHER custom configurations in your backup job, but in most image backup job cases it's easier to just set up the job again.  File & Folder backup jobs might be another story if you had a lot of folder selections and complex inclusion/exclusion filters.

Note however that even if you reimport your definition files, you'll need to set up any schedules again, because definition files themselves don't store schedule information.  The schedules exist purely as Windows Task Scheduler tasks.

In terms of application-wide settings, those are mostly stored in the registry, but exporting registry settings from one installation and reimporting onto another one doesn't always work as planned.  Same goes for content in the ProgramData folder (which is sort of a system-wide AppData folder), although not quite to the same extent.  I don't see any Macrium or Reflect folders in my own user profile's AppData folder. In any case, here again it might be easier to just configure your preferences manually again.

Thank you for your reply. My comments were mainly about the application-wide settings. But the scheduling was also a concern. It would seem my point has been missed by the developers. Resetting all these application-wide settings is long-winded and tedious. It would be so easy to export a config file. This could then be simply be imported when anybody is in my present situation.

It seems I have a long and tedious session ahead of me recreating all those settings.

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (15K reputation)
I understand. Out of curiosity though, how many application-wide settings in Reflect do you customize? On my own installations and the ones I support, I might disable Delta Incremental Indexing depending on the backup strategy that will he used, and in some cases I’ll need to add network credential profiles, and then there are some Rescue Media settings I customize, but those are stored in a config file within the Rescue Media build folder. Apart from that, most of the settings under Edit Defaults only affect new backup jobs, and since most of my installations only involve 1-4 jobs, it doesn’t save a ton of time for me to change then there. So for me, I never really thought of Reflect was an application that really needed a configuration export capability, but of course I realize everyone’s use case varies, hence my curiosity as to what you customize.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search