MR Software Update Notice Management

Author
WGR
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Group: Forum Members
While I understand many software update notices have important changes, many are not relevant in many cases and could be ignored. The recent update, the 7.2 .4884, fixing notification emails, is not one that I need. I have four computers using MR and I see no need to apply these updates on any of them.

I have tried turning off these notifications from Windows 10, but this one persists in coming several times each day. Is there some way to turn off update notifications until a new one is generated? (I just received another one while writing this, even though I have the update notice on the screen.)
WGR
WGR
New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)New Member (23 reputation)
Have found how to turn off
Main Menu -> Other Tasks -> Edit Defaults -> uncheck everything

jphughan
jphughan
Macrium Evangelist
Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)Macrium Evangelist (16K reputation)
Just in case you're curious, the hourly background check mechanism came about because of a serious bug at one point that caused all Reflect images that were created using CBT to be created corrupt.  That has since been fixed, of course, but it exposed a danger with the only update mechanism available at the time.  Prior to the background checks, Reflect only checked for updates when the full application was launched, not when performing backups, which meant that people who primarily or exclusively ran scheduled backups might go quite a while without becoming aware that updates were available.  I remember reading about one case here where a user updated to a Reflect release that contained that corruption bug and didn't know about the bug until long after Macrium had issued that update.  So now Reflect offers the option to check for updates in the background and display a system tray notification when one is available.  The option to receive email notifications about updates was added at the same time in order to address use cases such as server backups, where even user logons might be rare, in which case even a system tray notification would not be helpful.

But yes, there will always be updates that aren't relevant to everyone.  To my knowledge, the background update checker does not currently offer a way for the user to ignore a particular release and then only see the notification again when an even newer release has been published.  However, I can certainly see how that might be desirable for people who don't wish to update for the sake of updating but also don't wish to see a system tray notification sitting there forever in the meantime, particularly given that once the system tray icon displays, the mouseover tooltip text that shows the new release version that triggered it does not automatically update once an even newer release is published, so you can't use that as a quick check of the current release version.  It's also been noticed that the system tray icon does not automatically disappear if an update is published and subsequently retracted.

WGR
WGR
jphughan - 19 May 2020 2:21 AM
Just in case you're curious, the hourly background check mechanism came about because of a serious bug at one point that caused all Reflect images that were created using CBT to be created corrupt.  That has since been fixed, of course, but it exposed a danger with the only update mechanism available at the time.  Prior to the background checks, Reflect only checked for updates when the full application was launched, not when performing backups, which meant that people who primarily or exclusively ran scheduled backups might go quite a while without becoming aware that updates were available.  I remember reading about one case here where a user updated to a Reflect release that contained that corruption bug and didn't know about the bug until long after Macrium had issued that update.  So now Reflect offers the option to check for updates in the background and display a system tray notification when one is available.  The option to receive email notifications about updates was added at the same time in order to address use cases such as server backups, where even user logons might be rare, in which case even a system tray notification would not be helpful.

But yes, there will always be updates that aren't relevant to everyone.  To my knowledge, the background update checker does not currently offer a way for the user to ignore a particular release and then only see the notification again when an even newer release has been published.  However, I can certainly see how that might be desirable for people who don't wish to update for the sake of updating but also don't wish to see a system tray notification sitting there forever in the meantime, particularly given that once the system tray icon displays, the mouseover tooltip text that shows the new release version that triggered it does not automatically update once an even newer release is published, so you can't use that as a quick check of the current release version.  It's also been noticed that the system tray icon does not automatically disappear if an update is published and subsequently retracted.

Thanks for the additional background, jphughan. 
I realize I may miss some critical updates until I check manually.  So, I will ask for daily checks on MR's start-up and review its behaviour.

Also, I just noticed a missing step in getting to the change the Live update settings in my previous post. 
Main Menu -> Other Tasks ->🤦‍♂️ Update -> Edit Defaults -> uncheck everything

Pim
Pim
Proficient Member
Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)Proficient Member (335 reputation)
jphughan - 19 May 2020 2:21 AM
... To my knowledge, the background update checker does not currently offer a way for the user to ignore a particular release and then only see the notification again when an even newer release has been published.  However, I can certainly see how that might be desirable for people who don't wish to update for the sake of updating but also don't wish to see a system tray notification sitting there forever in the meantime, particularly given that once the system tray icon displays, the mouseover tooltip text that shows the new release version that triggered it does not automatically update once an even newer release is published, so you can't use that as a quick check of the current release version.  ...

I just posted a feature request in the wish list forum for this.
GO

Merge Selected

Merge into selected topic...

Merge into merge target...

Merge into a specific topic ID...

Reading This Topic

Login

Explore
Search